Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for type 2 diabetics page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Question for type 2 diabetics

Primal Fuel
    What carb levels are you on to help manage your blood sugar levels?
    Without medication?

For those taking medication, how does it make you feel?
    Diabex is the name of the stuff the Dr wants me to take, another name is Metformin.

He actually was quite supportive of my primal eating and the fact that I was VLC (under 50 g per day). It surprised me. He said if I wanted I could see a dietician, but that ain't happening.
    Last edited by Ayla2010; 02-12-2013 at 05:55 PM.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I was on metformin for insulin resistance and it messed with me big time. I had weeks where I couldn't eat and was living on the toilet. I was on it for insulin resistance. My husband is a type 2 diabetic and we control his with diet. How high were your blood glucose levels? How many mg of the meds does your doc want you to take?
    Georgette

Ill find the other post where i put the levels and copy it here. I don't have the papers handy.

He wants me to start on 500mg and work up to 4 of those a day. The thought of taking this scares me a lot.

I wish I had not gone to the Dr now, I felt 100% fine, I only went due to my impatience of not losing weight fast enough and I wondered if my thyroid was a problem, but its not.
    But really 4 kg in a month is not that slow, I am just over being fat. Over it.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Did you post it in your journal? I'll look there. Have you been having the other signs of type II? Constant thirst, living in the bathroom going #1, craving anything with sugar(particularly milk and juices)?
    Georgette

Insulin was 150 m/U/L (normal fasting is 0-10 mU/L)
    Glucose was 7.7 mmol/L (3 - 5.4 mmol/L)

I have been testing my own sugar levels at home, and almost all are in the range the Dr wanted, but the odd one slightly over that.

I went back the next day as I wanted him to repeat the insulin, as it seemed crazy high and I wondered if it was wrong (my fasting home levels are normal) plus a few others including a urine one, the other blood one, was that average over 3 months of blood sugar. Will get these results on Friday.

Zach is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Did you post it in your journal? I'll look there. Have you been having the other signs of type II? Constant thirst, living in the bathroom going #1, craving anything with sugar(particularly milk and juices)?
    I can't remember LOL.
    Posted below.
    Nothing like that, ive always gone to the loo tons more than my husband, not at night any more like I used to. Not constant thirst, and no more sugar cravings.

I would have expected more symptoms with diabetes. I truly feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    That is too long for me to read right now, but I will get to it.

But I plan to test my sugar levels out after eating various starchy carbs, and fruits.

But you think those things would bring it down? I expect it to be even higher.

I did have some raspberries the other day, and 2 hours later, I had a high sugar level.

The point is to keep it in the normal range right? So dont eat those things that raise it.

Will test it with dairy, since I know it can cause the same insulin response as sugars.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post

I wish I had not gone to the Dr now, I felt 100% fine, I only went due to my impatience of not losing weight fast enough and I wondered if my thyroid was a problem, but its not.
    But really 4 kg in a month is not that slow, I am just over being fat. Over it.
    Ayla, diabetes is known as the silent killer. Many people have it and don't know it. The longer it goes unnoticed, and not dealt with, the more damage that can be done.

My family is full of diabetics. My father died, in part, due to diabetes complications. He had wounds on his feet that didn't heal( common for diabetics), lost circulation and needed to have his legs amputated. However because of other health issues he wasn't strong enough to have the surgery. He went on hospice and passed a week later.

My BIL did lose his leg to uncontrolled diabetes. He's recently been at risk for losing the other leg.

My family history with this dreaded disease was the reason I changed my eating habits.I was insulin resistant in 2008. I am no longer.

I'm glad you went to the doctor. As I said in another post, knowledge is power. You now know for sure that you have issues with blood sugar control. You are smart and empowered and that will help you get this issue under control--with or without medication.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast