Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Question for type 2 diabetics page 4

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am testing when I first wake, and around 2 hours after I eat dinner or lunch (depending on when I eat that day), sometimes ill test before bed, but I don't know if I really need to do that.
    I think I understand what you 2 are saying, maybe LOL. This is all a bit of an overload for me.

Is it true that high insulin makes it harder to lose weight? This is what the Dr said.
    I have never ever lost weight quickly in the past no matter how I did it, but managed to gain quickly if I go on a binge.

2007 after my first son was born I was 122kg the day he was out. I got down to 81 kg by Mar 2009, but stuff happened and I gained about 20 kg again, then got pregnant in Sept 2009. After my second son was born, I weighed 117kg approx, and got down to 85 kg July 2011. Discovered Primal Oct 2011, actually gained 5 kg once I started CF, but all my measurements went down, and I looked way smaller. Posted a pic on here once. Last year April-Oct when I stopped CF and ate a lot of shit, I gained nearly 20 kg in that time. I wonder if this period kicked off the high insulin? In the 3 months since being 100% primal, as of 1st Feb, had only lost 4 kg (and that was in Jan).

I guess it could be a combo of the up and down weight and eating so badly that caused this? I guess family history plays a part since my dad has diabetes as well. His is not managed due to drinking so much beer, now his Dr wants him on insulin. He has been an alcoholic for more than 30 years. His Dr has told him he is only allowed 2 beers a day but he can't stop.

Anyway, I need to fix my health, I really do. Getting weight off might not happen without the Metformin maybe.

I have picked up the script for Metformin, but have not started it yet, it was only $12, so not a waste if I don't. But still thinking.
    If it really does prevent weight loss then I will.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Good luck Ayla. Are you exercising? Can't remember if I saw that you were or not. If not make sure to add in some resistance training at whatever level you can accomplish and work in some short HIIT sessions. All great for improving insulin sensitivity. Get good rest ... being sleep deprived actually reduces your insulin sensitivity immediately after even one night of poor quality sleep. Be sure your D levels are good too.

Walking each night 4-5 km. I try to get to the gym for some barbell stuff once a week, but don't always get there.
    I sleep quite well since going HFLC, I never used to.

Vitamin D, I get at least 30 mins of sun in the morning, and afternoon when I do school drop off and pick up. Is this enough? How do you know if it is enough?

Well you can check your D levels with a blood test. Without that its just guessing. You could be getting plenty with natural sunlight. Depends on your complexion and how much of you is exposed during those two 30 minute stints.

I am paleish with lots of freckles.

Oh and I don't burn anymore. I used to burn in that short amount of time in the sun, but not now.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Vitamin D, I get at least 30 mins of sun in the morning, and afternoon when I do school drop off and pick up. Is this enough? How do you know if it is enough?
    The more natural sunlight, the better. However, the farther south you live in Australia, the less exposure to light you get than if you were closer to the equator. Also, if you are darker skinned, you take in less Vitamin D than lighter skinned folks. My doctor told me to supplement 1000mg of Vitamin D3 because I have dark-ish skin tone and I live in the very northeast of the USA, and I sit at a cubicle for 9 hours a day during the week -- all a recipe for low Vitamin D.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Na not at all dark skinned.

To break down some stuff for you real quick as I saw you had some questions on other threads:

Eating high fat/low carb (seriously keto levels) produces a transient sort of insulin resistance at the muscles. This is what we call "physiological" insulin resistance. It's how your body retains the glucose it does have available for the portions of the brain that absolutely must have it. It is a normal response to extended periods without carbohydrate in the diet. Its different from "pathological" insulin resistance (diabetes) in several ways. The most important of which is that it is totally reversed upon the reintroduction of carbohydrate to the diet. Within just a couple days of having carbs back on the plate your body shifts out of glucose sparing mode.

There is no model that I am aware of whereby you can induce diabetes with a HFLC diet unless you are eating WAY OVER your caloric needs and/or making a significant amount of those calories PUFA. Just doesn't happen.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast