Thread: Progress report! Journey from 52 kg to 58.5. page

h4890 is offline Junior Member

Progress report! Journey from 52 kg to 58.5.

Hello everyone,

I'm not quite a lurker, but I do post very infrequently. I just wanted to tell you about my experience, and maybe some other lurkers can profit from what I've tried and what has worked for me, so enjoy! =)

Basically my problem was that I was not happy with being under weight. I have always been very slim, and my parents had the same problem when they were young as well as other relatives. When I started my journey in april 2012, I was weighing 52 kg, and I'm ca 179 cm tall. My goal was to reach 60 kg.

What I did for several months, was to purely train with regular push ups, hand stand push ups against a wall, situps and body weight squats. I also started to eat more by taking slightly bigger portions every lunch and dinner. Since I don't have a journal (which I regret) I cannot tell you for sure about the time, but after ca 4 months, I was weighing ca 54 kg. What I noticed was slightly more definition, and after 4 months, my weight kind of stabilized, and I was demotivated and stopped training for 6 weeks or so since I became frustrated with the scale. After 6 weeks, I made the following changes:

1. Weighing myself no more often than once every 2 weeks.
    2. Started to eat one additional small meal in the evening consisting of some protein rich dairy products.
    3. Adding weight to my training (weighted push ups ca 15 kg, squatting 30 kg back pack, dumb bell curls), together with trying to learn hand stands, hand stand pushups against wall, and inching myself towards dragon flags (in small, small, slow steps).
    4. Relating to nr 3 above, trying to focus more on being able to achieve a certain exercise instead of counting repetitions.

In 4-5 months, ending right now, I've increased my weight to between 58 and 59 kg, and I noticed that my jeans are more tight around the legs, and my t-shirts are more tight around the chest. However!

The last 2 months motivation has again been lacking, I've been eating less since I got fed up with force feeding myself, and I'm getting bored, so this brings me to the next step of my "journey"...

I fought against my prejudice and inertia and actually dragged myself down to a boxing gym after 11 years of not practicing any sports...

So what happened after my first training session? I discovered I was ok trained on push ups but my abs could be better. No problems with the legs. The day after, my entire upper half of the body is in pain except my biceps. No serious tiredness in the legs. From a cardiovascular point of view I felt like I was on the verge of throwing up for about 90 minutes! So I hope that by pushing myself through the first 1 or 2 months, my cardio capacity will go up, and I can enjoy the training more as the feeling of vomiting goes down. Besides that, great work out and a lot of fun. So what are my new changes?

1. No more force feeding myself, only eat when hungry and I hope my body will take care of the rest.
    2. Added drinking an extra glass of milk in the evening, and also changing from water to milk for dinner to get some extra protein.
    3. No more training at home, just focus on the boxing 2 days per week initially, and increasing to 3 times a week when my cardio is up to it. I will keep up my hand stand training though, since I've managed to reach 5 second hand stands without support.

And hopefully I can finally reach over 60 kg in a few months time, and then it's time to evaluate and change the goal. I can say though, that I don't see any huge difference going from 54 to 58-59 and I suspect that most of the gain is in the legs. But maybe with the help of boxing, it will add some more muscle to the upper body.

Let's see how it goes and thank you for reading! =)

Best regards,
    Dan

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Good luck dude, dont stress too much about weight gain, focus on improving skills, fitness and strength and im sure some size will be an added benefit. Force feeding cant be good i used to do it and ended up with digestive issues! Have fun and give it your best.

Thank you very much for the encouragement zizou! =)

The force feeding was the result of a standard "mantra" on this forum (some people), which is "lift heavier, eat more" if you want to gain weight, so that's why I tried it, but as you say, it is not a pleasant way to go about it, so in the future I will definitely focus on skills and technique, and hope that the additional 1-2 kg will come eventually by themselves.

Best regards,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    Good luck dude, dont stress too much about weight gain, focus on improving skills, fitness and strength and im sure some size will be an added benefit. Force feeding cant be good i used to do it and ended up with digestive issues! Have fun and give it your best.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    When I was struggling to eat more, I found that the answer was to use more fat in cooking, and add more cream to desserts.

Your training sounds fun. Keep it up!
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks magicmerl, good point too! I think I'll switch from low fat, to regular milk and maybe that will do the trick! =)

Best regards,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    When I was struggling to eat more, I found that the answer was to use more fat in cooking, and add more cream to desserts.

Your training sounds fun. Keep it up!