Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Timers? Long Timers? page

Beachgirl is offline Member

Old Timers? Long Timers?

Primal Fuel
    Any folks here who are in their 50's 60's 70's beyond? How long have you been primal?

Are there any folks here who have been primal a looooooong time? Say 10, 20, 30+ years? How are you doing?

janie is offline Senior Member
    I'm 67. Started eating primal in 2009, refining it for myself as I went along (for example, in the last year, I've gone to exclusively grass-fed meats). Joined a gym last April, following a lifting program of my own design. Walk more. Plan on adding sprints when the weather improves. MUCH healthier!

peril is offline Senior Member
    55, also doing this since 2009, following a heart attack and five stents. Have been completely drug free since early 2010. Like Janie, I'm much healthier. Certainly healthier than my wife and adult children
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    54. Primal since 2009. No real health issues prior, though I carried 15-25 pounds extra. A few pounds lighter a good bit stronger today. Much more enthusiastically carnivorous today with 1/2 pastured pig and 1/2 organic mostly grass fed beef in the freezer.

p.s., what the hell do you mean by Old Timers? Them's fightin' words to gaffers my age and older

xntrik is offline Member
    I'm 51, and I drastically cut back on grains, beans, and starches in September 2003, going pretty much purely primal a couple years later.

Beachgirl is offline Member
    Thanks, guys! No offense meant by "old timers." I don't consider 54 "old", ODTT. It's not even middle-age. Just trying to find a way to get others than the 20 and 30 year olds to respond. Also, have been having "discussions" with some vegan acquaintences who keep saying that primal is not sustainable for the long-term. Going to prove them wrong.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I'm 56.I went low carb in 2009. Found MDA later that year/early 2010.

I have bone on bone arthritis of the knee and thyroid disease. Changing my eating habits allowed me to get off pain, Rx anti-inflammatory, and sleep meds. It also allowed me to start walking/exercising again.

Diabetes runs rampant in my family. This WOE has kept that dreaded disease at bay.

And the 50lb weight loss isn't bad either.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    75 and pure Primal for 3 months. Dumped all the drugs except Lisinipril. Before starting I was miserable, uncomfortable and occasionally in pain. The following problems have been cured:

1. The tendency or desire to vomit was gone in 2 days. (GERD)
    2. The heavy gastric production of mucus which caused drooling in sleep was gone in 1 week
    3. The IBS gas and water bloating was 90% gone in 2 weeks. (IBS)
    4. At 3 weeks I began taking Milk of Magnesia every other day instead of every day.
    5. At 4 weeks the ability to control urine outflow returned (I'd been afraid I'd have to wear diapers.)
    6. After 5 weeks my completely dead bowel began working again. Peristalsis returned.
    7. At 6 weeks I began taking Vits. D3 and C (mainly to prevent hair loss) and Magnesium Citrate (800 mg) to soften my stools.
    8. At 7 weeks I bought Mark's Damage Control Package (vitamins and minerals). I'd already been taking prebiotics and probiotics, etc.
    9. At 3 months constipation is much improved but not entirely gone.
    And Best of All - I feel good!

Now I'll start thinking about a second set of problems:
    10. Osteoporosos
    11. Arthritis
    12. Lack of sufficient muscle tissue.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Late 50s; primal about seven months. Lost some weight. I wasn't really having health problems when I started, I had really just been made aware of how unhealthy many of the foods I thought were healthy were. Not processed foods so much - mostly CAFO meats and other animal products. And grains of course, even though I wasn't a huge consumer of grains, I do like sandwiches, so they were a regular part of my diet. And I've traded out all the fake foods (I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, Vegan Mayonnaise, non-dairy creamer) for their real food equivalents.

I still feel good. And I've learned a lot. This makes sense. It's like eating in the 1950s before the majority of our food supply became garbage.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    i'm 50 later this year and I cannot believe how good I feel. I have become well after many years of ill health...... so its onwards and upwards for me !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast