Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Timers? Long Timers? page 2

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    60 now and primal 3+ years. I was well on the way for the previous 15 years or so - no processed foods, no seed oils, virtually no sugar, grass fed meats and chicken, lots of offal and fish, organic veg; only grains had to go and then it was home made sourdough.

Results - lower blood pressure, no more steroid inhalers for asthma, weight down by about 25 pounds (I wasn't really overweight to start with though) and feeling fitter than I have since my 20's. Just wish that the IBS symptoms (which I've had since my teens) would go then I'd be really chuffed!!

xntrik is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachgirl View Post
    Thanks, guys! No offense meant by "old timers." I don't consider 54 "old", ODTT. It's not even middle-age. Just trying to find a way to get others than the 20 and 30 year olds to respond. Also, have been having "discussions" with some vegan acquaintences who keep saying that primal is not sustainable for the long-term. Going to prove them wrong.
    Not sustainable as in the Earth not being able to sustain the entire human population eating primal? Or not possible for individuals to sustain themselves long term on primal due to some sort of nutritional deficit?

Beachgirl is offline Member
    xntrik,
    Not sustainable for individuals, the benefits of primal not lasting. They said, you get initial benefits of weight loss, good blood numbers, but they don't last. The weight comes back they say and fatigue, LDL numbers not good, etc. Hence my question about long-term. Also, to a lesser degree the earth.

calee is offline Senior Member
    62 here. I have been off sugar and most grains for years, but really committed to the Primal lifestyle on January 1, 2013. I used to be morbidly obese but now I'm at a normal weight but could shed some fat. Last year I averaged hiking 25 miles a week. Hope to continue forever. Came to MDA to learn more about balance with life/food/movement. I feel great but there is always room for improvement.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    75 and pure Primal for 3 months. Dumped all the drugs except Lisinipril. Before starting I was miserable, uncomfortable and occasionally in pain. The following problems have been cured:

1. The tendency or desire to vomit was gone in 2 days. (GERD)
    2. The heavy gastric production of mucus which caused drooling in sleep was gone in 1 week
    3. The IBS gas and water bloating was 90% gone in 2 weeks. (IBS)
    4. At 3 weeks I began taking Milk of Magnesia every other day instead of every day.
    5. At 4 weeks the ability to control urine outflow returned (I'd been afraid I'd have to wear diapers.)
    6. After 5 weeks my completely dead bowel began working again. Peristalsis returned.
    7. At 6 weeks I began taking Vits. D3 and C (mainly to prevent hair loss) and Magnesium Citrate (800 mg) to soften my stools.
    8. At 7 weeks I bought Mark's Damage Control Package (vitamins and minerals). I'd already been taking prebiotics and probiotics, etc.
    9. At 3 months constipation is much improved but not entirely gone.
    And Best of All - I feel good!

Now I'll start thinking about a second set of problems:
    10. Osteoporosos
    11. Arthritis
    12. Lack of sufficient muscle tissue.
    Incredible!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    xntrik,
    Not sustainable for individuals, the benefits of primal not lasting. They said, you get initial benefits of weight loss, good blood numbers, but they don't last. The weight comes back they say and fatigue, LDL numbers not good, etc. Hence my question about long-term. Also, to a lesser degree the earth.
    Hi Beachgirl. I never really understand why people think that. The concept of "eat lots of vegetables, animals, and bugs," and getting them from wholesome sources (farms instead of CAFO, the sea rather than "farmed," organic rather than treated with chemical pesticide) is sensible, logical (good food = good health), and hardly radical.

The most "radical" concept of this way of eating is getting rid of grains and legumes. I find this no more radical than claiming we need the majority of our diet from these two groups of "foods." Taking the time to really look at the nutritional "value" of these two groups of foods shows you that they are pretty much a terrible way to get both macros and micros without getting fat.

If you look at the way people ate just 50 years ago, we adhered to a three meals a day model - not six small meals which never sate. Snacking was for children mostly (often two cookies after school) and then those children went out to play before dinner was ready - they didn't sit in front of a screen. 50 years ago, about 10% of the population was overweight. And the foods we ate, were largely wholesome.

Obesity in this country (and as always, we led the pack) started to climb with the proliferation of:
    -processed (convenience) foods
    -fast food
    -CAFO foods being the majority of what was available to the average consumer (only CAFO chicken was prevalent until about the 1970s)
    -produce shipped an average of 1500 miles before the consumer gets it (loses nutrients every mile it travels, and some estimates are that the nutrients in veggies that our grandparents ate have decreased by up to 40%)
    -HFCS and soy becoming ubiquitous in the food supply.

Add to that, a government that told us fat was bad (the same govt that declared catsup a vegetable back in the mid 70s) and that eating like rabbits was better, and obviously (to me anyway), what's not sustainable to the individual is what we've been doing for the last 30+ years.

Anyway, that's my take on it. For me, this is like moving forward to the past, when food actually fostered health instead of being the cause of disease.

I won't go into the sustainability of farm vs CAFO here, but there's plenty of info if you google. The govt has their side, and the whole foods people have theirs. I encourage you to look at both.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    I'm turning 53 on 2/27/13. I was a poster boy for Metabolic Syndrome - high blood pressure, gout, pot belly, finally culminating in Type II Diabetes with a blood glucose level of over 500 and triglycerides of 1100. Turned PB on 9/15/11, or as we call it, my "RE-Birthday!". I lost 75 pounds, went off all but one of the ten pills I was taking everyday. I just switched around my diet last week to a 70% fat/20% protein/10% carb. Used to eat more protein, but it was stalling my weight loss. Oh yeah, I ran the Warrior Dash with my son last August - surprised him that I ran with him the whole way! I work out - walk/lift heavy objects/sprint - 5 to 7 times a week. My wife tells all her friends that's she having an affair with another man! My wife's cousin felt me all over last month - she couldn't believe who I was and that I didn't have folds of loose skin all over me!

Primal = good!
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

B.Rubble is offline Junior Member
    59 New Years Day. Primal since 01/01/12. I was trying to lose weight with some success all through 2011 with calorie restriction. Since primal have lost 50 pounds. I had been on sulfa meds for 25 years to treat Colitis. By month 2 all the Colitis symptoms were gone and I have been med free ever since. Blood panel is perfect, snoring has all but disappeared I suspect because nasal passages are not swollen and inflamed. I also had tinnitus in my right ear and after 6 months or so it is gone. Interestingly my GI and GP doctors are at a loss to explain my improved condition. I was told for years that diet had nothing to do with my conditions!

My workouts are always different with lots of body weight exercise, dynamic movement and running 15 miles or so a week. Bottom line is I feel absolutely fantastic!

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    xntrik,
    This is the sort of stuff I've heard from vegans too. And look at them! I've now known 3 vegans who have become so ill they have HAD to go back to eating meat. So far, I've not heard of the opposite?

My GP and asthma nurse have been asking what on earth I've been doing to lose so much weight, improve BP so much and no longer need steroids. And my asthma nurse is - vegan! (I must say though - she does look the picture of health. Only one I've seen who does, but give her her dues - the picture of health.)

Don't argue with them - just be a living example!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've watched this argument for at least a year. Originally it meant that a primal way of eating was not sustainable for the earth's population, or even the U.S. population. This is true. To enable everyone to eat primally we'd have to reduce the population very significantly. And I think that would be a good thing.

But the factors promoting a large population, at least in the U.S., are the Gov'ts, BigAgi, BigPharma, etc. and I have no intention of dying while trying to convert them. I'm not going to live that long.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast