Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lacto Ovo VegHead going Ovo Veghead :) page

ironwerks is offline Junior Member

Dropping Dairy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello,
    Been Primal again since January. Been eating too much dairy. Love eggs and will keep eating them. Since I don't eat meat fish or fowl at this point I need replace the dairy if I go through with my plan to drop dairy for 3-4 weeks. Can/would anyone/someone direct me to areas on this incredible website where I can find out what others have done? I work out 3-4 times doing weight training and minimal cardio. Plus my job is active so I need the calories. I need to replace the dairy with other primal foods so to get all my macronutrients and micronutrients but have not made the choice to go back to meat fish and fowl at this point. Can I eat sweet potatoes for calories? Are they primal or is that a gray area like dairy. Especially if drenched in Butter? All thoughts and pointers and directions will be welcomed. Thank you.
    Last edited by ironwerks; 04-26-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: change title

ironwerks is offline Junior Member
    Sorry about the thread title. Obtuse.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    If you are not eating meat/liver/bone broths yet. I wouldn't recommend giving up on dairy. It is the only source of many important things like Vitamin B12, zinc, vitamin K2. Eggs are not as good in for these.

Ghee and butter are very good for upping the calories, and have little that can be considered bad (particularly ghee).

About Potatoes. They are paleo, but may not be considered good by many people here. Saying that Potatoes are a new world food doesn't make any sense. If you try to get vegetables that were eaten 100,000years ago, you will not find any in this age. We are eating the classes of vegetables that our ancestors ate. That includes tubers, and potatoes are tubers.

Sweet potatoes are better than potatoes, simply because they are less likely to be intesively farmed.

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    Why do you want to give up the dairy? As Anand says, it provides many vitamins and minerals that you will need. Have you looked into raw dairy? It contains the enzymes you need to digest it, plus the protein and fats are left whole, rather than denatured. Pasturized and homoginized dairy has denatured proteins and fats which, if I understand correctly, become free radicals in the body and can cause other problems. But given your lack of animal foods in your diet, any kind of dairy would be better than none. Based on the information I have.

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    I am in the same position, ive done the research and found dairy is deffinately not worth it.

Raw dairy is hard to find, I would eat goats dairy (much better) but its expensive. The answer:

Coconuts! can offer milk, cream alternatives. the oil is better than butter, and creamed coconut I actually use as a great cheese replacement.

I also don't eat alot of meats but do eat eggs. I eat fish/prawns to make up any remaining fat/protein calories.

Sweet potatoes are not a panacea they are just slighty not as bad as potatoes I discovered the hard way

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    @rockstaredy
    I guess you have metabolic syndrome ;-). Otherwise you should not have any problems with potatoes. Don't worry almost everybody has it these days in some stage or the other.

You are seeing problems with dairy and potatoes. But that may not be the case with other people less damaged.

Also this guy is not eating any meat. You are eating some and also fish/prawns. You are not in the same position.
    You have not done enough research on the bad effects of vitamin/mineral deficiencies that affect vegetarians, who don't do it correctly.
    Where does this guy get the fat soluble vitamins. Coconut does not have any, except vitamin E.
    What about sources of K2, or B12?
    Just saying that dairy is bad does not help. You have to give some alternatives.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    How about starting eating fish? You can do it.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anand Srivastava View Post
    @rockstaredy
    I guess you have metabolic syndrome ;-). Otherwise you should not have any problems with potatoes. Don't worry almost everybody has it these days in some stage or the other.

You are seeing problems with dairy and potatoes. But that may not be the case with other people less damaged.

Also this guy is not eating any meat. You are eating some and also fish/prawns. You are not in the same position.
    You have not done enough research on the bad effects of vitamin/mineral deficiencies that affect vegetarians, who don't do it correctly.
    Where does this guy get the fat soluble vitamins. Coconut does not have any, except vitamin E.
    What about sources of K2, or B12?
    Just saying that dairy is bad does not help. You have to give some alternatives.
    Hi.

No I'm not in exactly the same position. I was vegetarian and moved to this position where i do eat fish and occasional meat, but I can therefore atleast relate more than some?!

I don't know why you assume I havn't done enough research on vegetarian issues Im offended. There are always two sides to both stories, but vegetarians can live a perfectly vitamin and mineral rich life. There is nothing that dairy gives you that you can;t get from other sources, and I was not about to do giving this guy a 3 hour hour lecture on the subject although i could suggest K2 and B12 solutions quite easily. Besides you're going through the phase where people get obsessed over exact vitamin and mineral intakes which is certainly not primal or natural. We are all aware with a varied and healthy diet with plenty of frut and veg vitamins aren't going to a life changing issue. i'm sure you will disagree. Coconut milk and cream was a suggestion to take the place to dairy products in terms of meal alternatives (i.e. recipe ingredients etc.) not nutritional values.

Just criticising someone's two cents does not help. Give your own.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef Beef!

Sorry. Useless post. It's just so maddening trying to think of ways to make paleo without meats healthy. Umm

Some high omega 3 pastured eggs. Some fish oil (oil cannot feel pain!). Hemp protein, chia seeds, shredded coconut/coconut oil/coconut milk, palm oil, vegetables, some fruit, squash, yams. Take supplements to make up for nutritional deficiencies.

Arg here's the problem. Vegetarian paleo is either high in carbs, high in omega 6, or low in nutrients.

Beef. I just cooked a cow tongue. 100% grass-fed and slaughtered by real Muslims in a painless fashion. I will share some with you through the computer

*shares through computer*

A.M. Roots is offline Member
    Really cow tongue? I totally believe you and don't doubt it for a minute. Yeah I agree. Guys, to each their own, I was raised veg and as an athlete it 'effed me up. Eventually developed fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, gained weight from eating many more carbs, and was being warned of Lupus with high ana numbers showing up in my blood tests as well as eleveated c-reactive proteins. My total cholesterol was 101. . .yikes!

I ate beef regularly and within two months all symptoms started to disapear. Numbers are great. Inflammation minimal, my own journey of playing around with diet has taught me a lot. Not to say any of that would happen to you, different genes but my improvements and quality of life were phenomonal. I would most definitely consider the need for micronutrients derived from various meat sources. If it's ethical, go find a farm you trust and meet the animals, I did. But for me it was just being raised around macrobiotics I thought it was the right path to be on. My humble opinion is there are many right paths to follow and fewer wrongs and for this topic there is a bright big sign at the end of the road flashing: *BEEF* (that's the ideal path) Is it natural to have to supplement to get many of the most important nutritional needs? That was a selling point for me. Used to do protein powders and ate way too much soy. yuk! You shouldn't need to do that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast