Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squatting really heavy? page

BeatMD is offline Member

Squatting really heavy?

Shop Now
    I squat really heavy twice a week. My question: is squatting really heavy twice a week bad for you. I have a bit of a patellar tendonitis in my right knee too. I also started to get a achey left knee. I talked to Greg Everett on fb and he said I'm not taking care of myself, things like foam rolling and warming up properly. I usually do 3x5 at 275, 295, 315. Should I also be taking joint pills too.
    Last edited by BeatMD; 02-12-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Are you squatting properly, ie below parallel?

BeatMD is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Are you squatting properly, ie below parallel?
    Yea I go a** to grass, I go by the Mark Rippetoe tell you to squat(Author of Starting Strength). Feet just outside my shoulder, toes pointed just slightly, lead with my hips not my chest.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you're approaching it safely enough, all I could say to you is to see how other lifters have fared in older age if you can find that information, and then decide for yourself.

I have no idea about that topic, so definitely share with us what you find.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatMD View Post
    Yea I go a** to grass, I go by the Mark Rippetoe tell you to squat(Author of Starting Strength). Feet just outside my shoulder, toes pointed just slightly, lead with my hips not my chest.
    Have you read the SS book? He never advocates going ass-to-grass. Are you doing a high bar squat?

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    A) do less reps
    B)if you're gaining, do it less often
    C) if you're maintaining do it a hell of a lot less often. you could probably go months and not lose the strength

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Have you read the SS book? He never advocates going ass-to-grass. Are you doing a high bar squat?
    He specifically advises against it. Repeatedly. Also, recommends toes out at about 30 degrees. That's pretty wide.

Yeah, warming up is key, and I think the myofascial stuff is with us to stay, and static stretching is relegated to the cool-down for good. Why aren't you doing that stuff? Is your question why your knee hurts? You should post a form video here or on startingstrength.com

Despite the fact that it's not Rippetoe approved in the least, squatting 315 ATG for 5 is pretty impressive. Safe to assume you're a bigger fellow?

And no, I don't think you need any specific joint pills. Eat lots of meat, organs, connective tissue, varied tubers and vegetables, and a gallon of milk if you feel like it.

Primalsaber is offline Member
    I'm not the most experienced, but I squat heavy verrrryyy often and would suggest two things: Do a lot of mobility/stretches and/or try out high bar back squats. Not saying either of those will work, just offering a (hopefully helpful) perspective. Best of luck.

BeatMD is offline Member
    Thanks for all the responses. I don't go exactly ATG, I go just below parallel(I watch his videos right before I goto the gym). I plan on having a friend record me later today, so I can even check out my form, I will also post on here. Haha yea I'm a bigger guy, I did shot put for many years. Also I really don't any supplements I try to get everything I need out of the food I consume. The only thing I take is CLA, Fish Oil, Vitamin D, and Magnisum. Drinking milk oooof, my stomach get to rumbling just taking a sip.
    I'm gonna take everyone advice, thanks for the input I love community :-)

Toshison is offline Member
    I went from working my legs once a week, annihilating them with lots of sets of lots of moves so I was essentially sore for an entire week to training them 3 times a week doing only squats. I then found a healthy medium of squating twice a week and adding 1 or 2 additional leg exercies after squats. So far so good. For the record, I squat similar weight territory to you although I do more reps sub 300 and top out with a bit more weight. I also have a knee issue (partial lateral meniscus tear) so I can relate to your concerns. For me, squats multiple times a week has led to the greatest progress in my squat. Since taking this approach my squat has improved dramatically where I sort of flatlined only doing squats once a week.

I found the best help at preventing pain is to really spend more time warming up before hitting your heavy squat sets. I probably spend at least 20 minutes warming up beforehand doing a variety of things from jumping jacks to weightless deadlifts and bodyweight squats. I do mobility moves/dynamic stretches for my hips and I make sure I have a good sweat before hitting the rack. I then do a warmup set at 135lb and 225lb before jumping into my typically 3 heavy sets. I also make sure to do static stretches afterwards when cooling down.

Supplements-wise for joints- I do take a few glucosamine/Chondritin/MSM caps every day. Does it help? Its always hard to say because proving it can be tough but when I am taking this stuff, I pretty much never have any issues with my knees (or at least I dont feel them) and when I don't take them, I do experience more occurences of the odd pain here and there so for me, I believe they do help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast