Thread: questions, questions! page

diverchick is offline Junior Member

questions, questions!

Okay, so I am on my 3rd week of primal. Loving the energy and never being hungry! I work underwater and in the woods however and have recently come down with a head cold.... I can only manage to eat a proper meal for breakfast, usually skip lunch (which does not bother me) and tend to eat meat and veg for supper. I do supplement with an Iso protein and try to snack on nuts etc. I don't think I am getting in the calories I require....could this be the cause of me getting sick?

Further, I notice that the fat around my midsection is getting...well...mushier and "jiggly"- is this a sign that my fat is being used?

How do you know when you are Fat-adapted?

Thanks!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diverchick View Post
    Okay, so I am on my 3rd week of primal. Loving the energy and never being hungry! I work underwater and in the woods however and have recently come down with a head cold.... I can only manage to eat a proper meal for breakfast, usually skip lunch (which does not bother me) and tend to eat meat and veg for supper. I do supplement with an Iso protein and try to snack on nuts etc. I don't think I am getting in the calories I require....could this be the cause of me getting sick?

Further, I notice that the fat around my midsection is getting...well...mushier and "jiggly"- is this a sign that my fat is being used?

How do you know when you are Fat-adapted?

Thanks!
    Have you lost weight? If not, then you're getting enough calories. However with your work, I iimagine you have lost weight. Did you have 'carb flu' the first or second week. If not, this cold might be the same thing - an adjustment of your body.
    No, you're not fat-adapted yet. It will take at least 3 months. Are you taking prebiotics and probiotics, that's necessary at first to help your gut adapt and change.
    Yes, that sounds like that fat is being used.
    Use a nutrition tracker like paleotrack.com to see how many calories you're getting, and what your macros are.

Welcome, and the best of luck. Sitick with us, it takes time.

paleodog is offline Senior Member
    I also got the "carb-flu" in my forst week of Paleo. It will pass and you will be fine. I would definitley use paleo tracker or similar because if you are eating a lot of nuts and seeds you want to keep tabs on your omega-6 : omega-3 ratios which just a few handfuls of nuts can throw out of whack. Primal Blueprint talks about all of this. Keep up the good dedication it gets even easier as you go!

Thanks guys!! I normally use fitday to track everything, but I am on the water at the moment and it is difficult for me to have access to a computer sometimes. I will be back from this exercise in about a month so I will be able to track again. I am sticking with it as I have never experienced such consistent energy before- makes me wonder why I didn't try it whilst training for my IRONMAN!! Thanks again!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Which prebiotics or probiotics do you suggest? Thanks for the response!!