Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Ann of the Jungle page

Primal Journal - Ann of the Jungle

Primal Fuel
    Hello! My name is Ann. I'm 49 years old and the mother of 6. I was skinny as a kid and through college, but started gaining weight after I got married. (My husband and I said it was because we were so happy--fat and happy!!!) I've been in a regular pattern of gaining weight while pregnant and then losing it with mixed success in between pregnancies. The fall of 2011 my son had some major medical issues that pushed my stress and stress eating over the top. (He's doing great now, thank goodness!) I gained 20 pounds in about 3 months. I was thoroughly disgusted with myself, but couldn't find the energy or will power to make a change.

In August and September of 2012 my eating was really out of control. I had begun a regular habit of sneaking off whenever I got an evening to myself and eating whatever I wanted whether I was hungry or not. It was something I had never really done before and was concerning. My youngest child is only 3 years old (born when I was 45) and running through my mind was the thought that I need to be as healthy as I can so I can live as long as possible for her, but I had kind of given up on myself. Then a friend at church invited me to join a weight loss group and I jumped at the chance. Our group used the book Made to Crave to address the heart issues of overeating (rather than providing an eating plan). There are many, many kernels of wisdom in that book! It took several weeks for me to decide I even wanted to lose weight. I decided I wanted to try eating low carb and while searching the internet to figure out what "low carb" meant, I came across Mark's Daily Apple. It all made so much sense to me that I read and read and read and learned everything I could and then jumped in!

I started eating Primally on October 14, 2012. I went cold turkey cutting out all sugar, grains and processed food overnight. I recorded everything I ate on the livestrong.com My Plate site. In the past I had been resistant to recording what I ate because it seemed too cumbersome, but it was really simple and a very good way to learn the carb counts of the food I was eating. I didn't get on the scale for the first 2 1/2 weeks and when I finally did I was pleased to see I had lost 13 pounds! I'm now down 30 pounds. The best part is that the weight I lost came from the ugly fat that was hanging around my middle. I'd like to lose 30 more and am looking forward to the warmer weather and all the clothes I'll be able to wear.

In order to prove to myself that eating Primally really did make a difference I chose to NOT change my activity level at all and only change my eating. After 4 months I think I've proven that eating this way really DOES make a difference and I'm ready to start adding some formal exercise. I printed out the Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book and am ready to start incorporating the basic exercises into my day. I'm hoping to rediscover my long lost muscles of old!

Ann

I've been crazy hungry lately--not like really hungry, but crazy hungry, like a crazy person. I keep going to the cupboard trying to find something, then turning to the refrigerator, then back to the cupboard. Over the weekend I actually wanted carbs, something I thought I was finished with. I keep eating and eating, all of it primal (or mostly primal--I finished off a container of cashews in a day). I think the biggest reason is that I'm tired. I'm not sure what to do about that since I have everyone making demands of my time ALL THE TIME.

No exercise yet. That would take too much energy.

That's all.

Still stalled out at 30 pounds lost since just after Christmas. Or, actually, I gained a pound or two back, but those don't really count, right?

I started reading the Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book today. Now to put it into action. I'm not very disciplined, as in there aren't many things I do on a daily basis that I'm not forced to do besides taking a shower, getting dressed and making my bed. Before I started eating primally making my bed every day was the only positive change I had made in my life in YEARS. I'm a sad case of lack of discipline. Mark talks about how easy it all is, but he came from a life long devotion to daily exercise and just had to scale back. I come from a life long devotion to the path of least resistance.

Down about 39 pounds now! I had gotten away from recording what I was eating. Tried that again for a couple of days and was surprised by what I was actually eating. I think that's all I needed to get me over the hump and on to more weight loss.

I long to LGN, but for now I only LBN (look better naked) and LGD (look good dressed).

2BLioness is offline Junior Member
    Congrats on the 39 lbs. That probably makes you look good dressed. The naked thing is always in the eyes of the beholder! (you or someone else). I totally relate to your story. Although I am only the mother of 1 (but I am 50). Really admire your having gone cold turkey on the sugar. I am trying to stack up a series of small wins and trying to find some folks to hang with in this journey.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Ann, thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your progress to date. I love just eating all the natural foods God gave us and ending up feeling and looking GREAT. Keep up the good work, and watch the benefits spill over into other areas of your life too. Blessings.

Still stuck at 39 pounds. Frustrated but not surprised. I've been eating way too much, all of it Primal, just way too much of it. It shouldn't surprise me that this is so much of a mental game for me. Food is my comfort. Food is still my friend. I have had periods of time, even weeks at a time, when food was merely a means of nourishment and that felt really good. Now I feel like I'm back at the beginning of the mental battle and the only reason I'm not gaining weight is because of WHAT I'm eating. Sigh.

But it's not all bad. I've lost 39 pounds for goodness sake!!! I went clothes shopping last night. I tried a few things on and it all fit and looked nice, but I only bought one item that I really, really liked. In the past I would end up buying whatever fit regardless of whether or not I really, really liked it because I was desperate to find clothes that actually fit. LGD is fun!!!

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if I LGN yet either, but LBD definitely! Ha ha.

Down 40 as of last Friday! Woo hoo! But I'm starting to realize the numbers might not mean much in the end. They're a good measure to outsiders, like when someone asks specifically how much I've lost, but they don't tell the whole story. One thing I haven't mentioned is that I feel STRONG! My muscles are emerging. In the past I've lost as much as 30 pounds between babies and I don't ever remember feeling like it was only the fat that was melting away. My arms have never had definition, and while I don't know if you could call what I have now "definition" it's certainly more than I've ever had. I'm not doing any organized exercise, but the muscles I use to lift kids, lift laundry baskets, etc., are all emerging from under the fat. This weekend I was shopping and tried on a pair of shorts in a size 10 just for fun. They fit and I would have bought them, but they had four buttons in front instead of a zipper (what a hassle!) so I rejected them. But they were a size 10!!! The last time I was able to wear a size 10 was 20 years ago and I was 20 pounds lighter than I am now. Either the shorts I tried on were a generous size 10 or this whole phenomenon I've heard people talk about, that their weight is high but their body is smaller, is true. That phenomenon just might motivate me to exercise! How can this be so easy???

Every summer as the weather warms up I beat myself up for not having gotten my act together enough to lose weight over the winter. This year the weather is warming up and I couldn't be more pleased with myself. I'm finding that I don't have clothes that fit, but this year it's because they're all too big! My closet is thinning out as I get rid of clothes I've hung onto for YEARS but now realize as I try them on that they're completely out of style. I see more shopping in my future!
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Still plugging along. Down 44 pounds as of this morning. Still no formal exercise, although I've been doing a one month plank challenge. Can't seem to get past a minute and a half.

I was stalled out at 40 pounds for a couple of months and may have even gained a few back because of my indulgences! My crazy person eating had me overdosing on honey and chocolate. Several times a day I would have full fat greek yogurt with honey drizzled over the top. What started as a very occasional treat became something I was craving and going to when I was stressed. The same is true of chocolate. My favorite is the Lindt 90% dark chocolate, but what was once a one square a day habit became a compulsion. About 3 weeks ago I gave them both up completely and now I'm back on track. (And I've saved a little money, too!)

I had an allergic-type reaction to some watermelon seeds last week. They're watermelon kernels on the package--those little white, immature seeds roasted and salted. I guess I've had a similar reaction before but was never able to pinpoint the cause. Within a couple hours of eating way too many (the crazy person eating has not been solved!) my tongue swelled up and it felt as if I had an acute sore throat. It was so bad I was having trouble swallowing. No trouble breathing, but if that had been part of it I would have been off to the hospital in a heartbeat. I had a mild reaction before, but thought I was getting sick. That time it resolved by the next morning. This time it took two full days before my mouth felt normal again. No more watermelon kernels for me! It makes me wonder how many foods I've tolerated in the past that I didn't really tolerate. Only by eating fewer foods have I been able to figure out which ones bother me. So far it's cashews and watermelon kernels. Thankfully not bacon!
    Ann of the Jungle's Primal Blueprint Journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78155.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast