Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not losing weight :( page

vibe is offline Junior Member

Not losing weight :(

Primal Fuel
    I went 100% primal on January 1 2013 at an initial weight of 186 lbs. I estimate my ideal weight to be around 170 so I'm trying to get there. The first 3 weeks worked well, I lost about 1 lb per week and now I'm at 183. For the last 2 weeks I have been unable to lose any more weight, its holding steady at 183.

I basically eat the same thing every day so here goes:

Breakfast:

2 eggs fried in olive oil + 1/2 avocado

Lunch:

1 chicken breast, and a mix of cooked veggies (pepper,broccoli,carrots,zuchini,mushrooms)

Dinner:

Same as lunch

After dinner:

I usually have about 2 handfuls of nuts (almonds or macadamia) since I'm still a little hungry after dinner

Once a week (on friday):

1 bar of dark 70% organic chocolate

Fitday.com estimates the following for my daily diet:

Calories: 1697
    Fat: 106.3g (55%)
    Carbs: 44.9g (35%)
    Protein: 149g (10%)

I estimate my daily break-even calories to be 2100, so I'm running a daily deficit of around 400 calories.

But I'm still not losing weight, please help!! I should also mention that I don't feel many cravings any more during the day. And I do 1 intense workout a week (rock climbing).
    Last edited by vibe; 02-12-2013 at 10:15 AM.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Are you afraid of saturated fats? You might want to work some coconut oil in there. That stuff does the trick for me.

mks8500 is offline Member
    I also started in January and lost right away then stalled. I've purchased a blood ketone monitor and have determined that, though my carbs were low enough (under 22 all the time), my protein was too high and fat was too low for ME. It might be worth a shot. For the last 3 days my fat has been higher than protein and I'm seeing the scale fall a little again.

Megan

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Right now you're getting all your fat from nuts, which means it's mostly Omega-6. There is almost no fat in the rest of your diet--no wonder you're still hungry after dinner! You need a lot more fat. Butter, coconut oil, fattier cuts of meat, heck, any variety to your meat at all. In a typical week I eat beef, lamb, several types of fish and shellfish, pork, chicken, bison, and organ meat like liver.

Your breakfast looks great (though I never cook with olive oil, as the heat is generally too high for it), but your lunches and dinners need more fat and a lot more variety, and the 2 handfuls of nuts post-dinner has got to go. If you're trying to lose weight, you should cut nuts entirely.

Well done on getting rid of your cravings! It makes life so much easier, doesn't it?

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Eliminate the nuts. If you are still hungry after dinner you aren't eating enough meat and veggies (and fat) at lunch and dinner. Chicken breast and veggies: maybe eat 2 breasts at lunch, and make sure you put a fair amount of fat on everything. Also that breakfast is kinda small. Go for at least 3 eggs and the whole avocado. Another way to get satiated in the morning is to have coffee with 1/2 stick butter blended in (aka bulletproof coffee) - controls cravings all day. Nuts are very calorie dense and low in protein vs. meat so I'm thinking that 2 handfuls is way too much and is probably derailing any loss you would have made during the rest of the day, especially since you are eating them late in the day. There is some debate over whether eating at night keeps the weight on, but you could try to avoid doing so and see if it helps. If you aren't full after lunch or dinner, you need to load up on vegetables even more also (volumetrics) - it's why we call it the BIG ass salad. And drink no less than 64 oz of water a day (this is pretty key to losing weight and people seem to forget it a lot I think).

It can be really hard to get used to eating so much fat coming from CW, but you need a lot of it now, especially going low carb, so don't be afraid to load it on - but not in the form of nuts. I like to get my fat as the normal fat that comes with meat - buy the fatty cut and eat the fat and the meat. For instance I like rotisserie chicken because you get all the natural fat and skin at the same time as the meat; boneless/skinless chicken barely qualifies as food anymore really, because then you have to supplement it with fat from somewhere else to make it a meal still. Think whole animal.

PS don't see any issue with the chocolate.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    If you're trying to lose weight, you should cut nuts entirely.
    I wouldn't go that far. I like nuts for breakfast, they are filling and dont leave me ravenous a little bit later. But the arbitrary having "2 handfuls" has got to go, I prefer to measure them out and saying "thats it".

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I agree that nuts are useful, and it's not that nuts in moderation will stall weight loss, it's that they're WAY too easy to overeat and a big caloric load. I've found in the fitness profession I inhabit that when clients cut nuts, they quickly start losing weight because they didn't realize how much they were eating.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Where's the beef? Seriously, where is it? Forget about repeating lunch for dinner, have a big, fatty, buttered steak and you won't need all the nuts later on. I bet that one change will fix you right up, but you might want to try not to get stuck in a rut and eat the same thing every day either.

vibe is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Where's the beef? Seriously, where is it? Forget about repeating lunch for dinner, have a big, fatty, buttered steak and you won't need all the nuts later on. I bet that one change will fix you right up, but you might want to try not to get stuck in a rut and eat the same thing every day either.
    Sometimes I replace the chicken breasts with ground turkey which has 7% fat. Also the chicken and veggies for my lunch/dinner are always cooked in olive oil, which I thought had a lot of fat.

But you're all probably right I'm not eating enough fat. I'll start adding fattier foods and see what happens. Thanks!
    Last edited by vibe; 02-13-2013 at 10:24 AM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vibe View Post
    Sometimes I replace the chicken breasts with ground turkey which has 7% fat. Also the chicken and veggies for my lunch/dinner are always cooked in olive oil, which I thought had a lot of fat.

But you're all probably right I'm not eating enough fat. I'll start adding fattier foods and see what happens. Thanks!
    Ground turkey and olive oil =/= steak and butter. Fat isn't one thing, it's a whole category of things. Stop being afraid of real food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast