Thread: Cooking Methods, Temperature, etc page

Fig50 is offline Junior Member

Cooking Methods, Temperature, etc

Shop Now
    Hello everyone, first time posting here. I'm interested in ditching veganism and eliminating grains, seeds, and pseudocereals from my diet, while mostly consuming meat, poultry, and fish (anything and everything from an animal ) for my protein/fat source, but i'm completely lost when it comes to how to cook meat. I cant just steam them (unless it's fish) or saute (unless it's ground meat) like I do vegetables. My question is how can I cook most cuts of meat without the risk of any toxins (HAC's and AGE's)? Should I aim for rare when it comes to doneness? Would this mean no broiling, grilling, and frying? What temperatures from heat sources should I lean toward? I know that cooking with garlic, onions, and herbs will reduce this, but am I missing something? Any and all suggestions would be very appreciated on tips for preparing & cooking.

One of the main factors for wanting to switch is because I mostly eat roughly 5 servings a day of the foods listed above and they are my only sustained protein source (aside from beans and nuts (which I will still continue to chow down on after). I feel that eating more grains to gain weight is silly, especially since they're also part carbs.

I'll admit that going vegan for a few years was a good way to shun processed food instantly and taste or learn how to cook & eat virtually every type of produce available to me, but it's time for me to stop eating tasteless grains as my entree and introduce some real, complete, protein. I haven't gotten sick once while being vegan, which i'm convinced is entirely because of eating whole, unprocessed foods. Moreover, adding meat can only offer more health benefits from my perspective due to it covering some micronutrients (and even macro!) I could've easily been missing out on.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    First of all, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Fig50 View Post
    My question is how can I cook most cuts of meat without the risk of any toxins (HAC's and AGE's)? Should I aim for rare when it comes to doneness? Would this mean no broiling, grilling, and frying? What temperatures from heat sources should I lean toward? I know that cooking with garlic, onions, and herbs will reduce this, but am I missing something?
    I saute most of my meat because it's easy, but meat is very versatile. Broiling, grilling, and sauteing are all great, if you do it right. If you use a stable fat, like coconut oil or tallow, you won't have to worry so much about oxidization. I prefer red meat on the rare side, but that's my personal preference, and from what I've read, it can also cut down on the risk of carcinogens developing.
    A few tricks to sauteing meat - the fat in the pan has to be hot before you put the meat in. Hot enough so that you can't bring your hand more than 5 inches from the surface of the pan. You also need to pat the meat dry with a paper towel before you put it in, or else it'll splatter (which is never fun) and the water will just make it steam instead of brown.
    It takes a bit of trial and error to figure out how to cook meat to your liking, just like anything else. Good luck on your new culinary adventure!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I, too, mostly sautee my meat; however, lately because of the cold weather, I've been using my crock pot and slow-cooking instead. I put a pork shoulder or even a couple of pork tenderloins in a crock pot and add vinegar, tamari, garlic, water, ground black pepper and some jalapeno or crushed red pepper flakes. Set it for 6-8 hours on high, pull it, and let it simmer for a little while longer, then eat!

I eventually want to get a grill and do some smoking and grilling!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Fig50, please tell me you're a dude so I can marry you! That was the best "turning away from veganism" reasoning/explanation I've ever read!

As for your question, I tried googling HACs and AGEs and came up with nothing. Can you clarify what toxins you're talking about?

I cook my meat in all sorts of ways. My favorites are slow-cooking and grilling, but for convenience's sake I usually saute in coconut oil or butter. When I grill, it's usually a really high temperature and I take the meat off when it's still pink inside.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

PeaceKaren is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I've been cooking my rib-eye steaks using Alton's method for years, ever since that episode first aired. Perfect EVERY time! Just be aware that it creates A LOT of smoke. If you don't have excellent kitchen ventilation (which I don't) plan to open all the windows and doors for a little while. And use either lard or coconut oil instead of the suggested canola oil.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    OP you might skip over to the blog and use the search function there for some relevant material, too. For instance:

SAFE COOKING TEMPERATURES
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...RTjSSpy4obQtvQ
    HOW TO EAT MEAT TRANSITIONING AWAY FROM VEGETARIANISM
    [How to Eat Meat: Transitioning Away from Vegetarianism | Mark's Daily Apple

THE IMPORTANCE OF COOKING IN THE EVOLUTION OF THE HUMAN BRAIN
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...F8OYEV1gz717uw
    Last edited by Terry H; 02-12-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Fig50 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    As for your question, I tried googling HACs and AGEs and came up with nothing. Can you clarify what toxins you're talking about?
    Safe Cooking Temperatures | Mark's Daily Apple sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    OP you might skip over to the blog and use the search function there for some relevant material, too. For instance:

SAFE COOKING TEMPERATURES
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...RTjSSpy4obQtvQ
    HOW TO EAT MEAT TRANSITIONING AWAY FROM VEGETARIANISM
    [How to Eat Meat: Transitioning Away from Vegetarianism | Mark's Daily Apple

THE IMPORTANCE OF COOKING IN THE EVOLUTION OF THE HUMAN BRAIN
    https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...F8OYEV1gz717uw
    I read "safe cooking temperatures" before creating the thread, but was interested in more details and whatnot. As for the other two links, I plan on diving right in face first. I don't fear/worship animals like many people picture vegans. If i'm compromising my health, or the health of others by telling them to avoid meat, isn't that contradictory to morality on the basis that people come first? I also recognize that cooking played a huge part in survival and nutrition.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions everyone!
    Last edited by Fig50; 02-12-2013 at 04:54 PM.