Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye opening article about good ol USA food page

Ultimate Loser is offline Junior Member

Eye opening article about good ol USA food

I came across this very eye opening article yesterday that is in line with a lot of the stuff Mark talks about in the Primal books. It's pretty shocking what we can get accustomed to thinking is "just the way it is" when it comes to our food.

How Food Companies Exploit Americans - 100 Days of Real Food

Would be curious to hear some thoughts on this. I had no idea a lot of the stuff we eat is made so differently in other countries - other than the possibility of slightly altering ingredients due to geographic reasons. Good ol big business and lobbying trumps morals/ethics I guess - otherwise what else could be the reason companies can get away with that here?

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    posted to facebook. Good read- running down the linked articles now. Thanks man.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    OP, you're preaching to the choir with me. Even if I turned my back on Primal, which would be turning my back on good old common sense imo, I'd never eat corn or soy again.

The relationship between Monsanto and the USDA is so blatantly corrupt, that honestly, I think if I ever met a Monsanto executive, I'd punch first and afterward do my community service happily. (First I'd try to argue self-defense.)

The bottom line is that the nutritional advice given to us by our government is motivated by profit and politics, and has nothing to do with health. I'm sure if the Paleo/Primal/Whole Food/Raw Food/Organic/Grass Fed contingent could come up with the millions of dollars it takes to elect our "representatives," and to get them to extend the same subsidies they do to BigFood, things would start to change.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

en2ec is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing the link. I had no idea. I'm American but live in Europe. Now that I'm primal, I don't eat processed food anyway. Still, this just reinforces how bad processed food is for you and how much dropping dropping it can improve your health.

Primal Bill Guest
    No, ultimate loser. It's not immoral. People have the right to choose what they put in their body. People have the right to educate themselves instead of watching American idol and posting face books statuses. The right to choose is moral. People who choose to put that crap in their body are stupid. If you don't like America, then leave u liberal idiot

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If you don't like America, then leave
    LMAO. Forty years later and the same old bone-headed "love it or leave it" coming from the intellectual elite. (That would be sarcasm.) As my old granny would have said, "Everything old is new again," though she usually was talking about fashion.

Love it or change it is probably more constructive, and by shopping nonCAFO, non-preservative/dyes/pesticides, rather than supporting BigFood, you are doing something to change it because dollars talk. That's why many of what we think of as "healthy packaged foods" (an oxymoron if ever there was one) are really owned by companies like ConAgra looking to cash in on the health market.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Adding all those additives takes up space in the product. This makes the product cheaper and profits higher. Any ingredients that also make us behave addictively toward the food is a plus.

I have been to Nepal and India (with a brief stop in Thailand). Even the processed foods in these countries tastes better than in the US. We eat really bad tasting food here, never mind just being bad for you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Adding all those additives takes up space in the product. This makes the product cheaper and profits higher. Any ingredients that also make us behave addictively toward the food is a plus.

I have been to Nepal and India (with a brief stop in Thailand). Even the processed foods in these countries tastes better than in the US. We eat really bad tasting food here, never mind just being bad for you.
    Most processed food in other countries, even big chain fast food, tastes better than ours.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Both parties support these actions so doubtful anything will change
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    100 Days of Real Food is one of my favorite blogs, one I found on my journey towards primal. I don't agree with her philosophy entirely of course, since she eats whole grains and so on, but I really admire the effort she had made (along with her husband) to get back to basic whole foods (including grains in their case) and making sure their children grow up with a solid understanding of how to make good food choices. They have a lot of Facebook discussions about how to handle kid's parties and other social situations, it's interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast