Thread: Some workout suggestions please.... page

NickZed is offline Junior Member

Some workout suggestions please....

Primal Fuel
    Good afternoon one and all,

I've been eating Paleo for a few months now, but have been a bit slack in adopting the Primal Fitness way of exercising...however, that changed (as of two weeks ago).

I'd like some advice regarding different types of workouts if I could.

My plan is the following:-

Low Intensity Cardio: I walk 50-60 minutes three times a week.
    Sprints/High Intensity: Once per week. Currently doing Tabata (20sec on, 10 sec off) workout for four minutes
    Lifting Heavy Things: Once a week - I only want to do Body Weight type exercises.

Other exercise: I ride to work once per week (50minutes) and I surf two to three times per week

I'm wondering if anybody could steer me in the direction of where I might find a list of workouts, or perhaps outline some different workouts for:-

1) Sprinting / high intensity and
    2) Body Weight Lifting Heavy things workouts.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards
    Nick

mrhtower is offline Member
    Suggestions/personal preferences:

1) Sprinting/high intensity- keep it simple. Something like: Once a week, go sprint 60 yards 6 times with sufficient rest in between sprints. Be sure to warm-up before. I like to walk for about a quarter mile, then run 3 "sprints", the 1st being maybe 40% top speed, 2nd 60%, 3rd 80%. If you feel like walking between sprints do. If not, don't. You can change up the distance and amount of sprints to your liking.
    Also, another high intensity workout that is incredibly simple, convenient, and can be performed a few times throughout any day to shred body fat- burpees. Google them if you're not familiar. Basically a pushup to squat jump. Bust out 20 of these and you will be extremely winded. Do 3 sets of 10-20 reps every now and then. Or don't.
    2) Stick to big compound movements, lifting as heavy of weight as you can as far as you can, activating the largest and most muscles you can. These include Squat, DeadLifts, Bench Presses, and weighted Chin-ups (generally able to lift more weight than pull-ups). You might include other isolation workouts that you enjoy doing but keep it light and focus on giving everything you have on those 4 movements. Weighted dips can certainly be included/intermittently substituted for bench press.
    Google '3 day split RPT'. Click the first link. Benefit.
    If you wish to only workout 1 day a week, you might think about busting it and performing a 2, 3, or all 4 of the big movements in one workout. Although, I don't recommend squats and deadlifts on the same workout. This usually results in death.
    Last edited by mrhtower; 02-11-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhtower View Post
    Suggestions/personal preferences:

1) Sprinting/high intensity- keep it simple. Something like: Once a week, go sprint 60 yards 6 times with sufficient rest in between sprints. Be sure to warm-up before. I like to walk for about a quarter mile, then run 3 "sprints", the 1st being maybe 40% top speed, 2nd 60%, 3rd 80%. If you feel like walking between sprints do. If not, don't. You can change up the distance and amount of sprints to your liking.
    Also, another high intensity workout that is incredibly simple, convenient, and can be performed a few times throughout any day to shred body fat- burpees. Google them if you're not familiar. Basically a pushup to squat jump. Bust out 20 of these and you will be extremely winded. Do 3 sets of 10-20 reps every now and then. Or don't.
    2) Stick to big compound movements, lifting as heavy of weight as you can as far as you can, activating the largest and most muscles you can. These include Squat, DeadLifts, Bench Presses, and weighted Chin-ups (generally able to lift more weight than pull-ups). You might include other isolation workouts that you enjoy doing but keep it light and focus on giving everything you have on those 4 movements. Weighted dips can certainly be included/intermittently substituted for bench press.
    Google '3 day split RPT'. Click the first link. Benefit.
    If you wish to only workout 1 day a week, you might think about busting it and performing a 2, 3, or all 4 of the big movements in one workout. Although, I don't recommend squats and deadlifts on the same workout. This usually results in death.
    Thats great- thanks so much. I like the Sprints and the warm up.

I'm going to try and stick to body weight exercises for the "Lifting Heavy Weights" as it means that I can get outside and do the workout vs being in a gym. I weigh 200lbs, so there should be plenty of body weight exercises that I can do that utilise a good part of this body weight. thanks for the reply

and the burpees...

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm pretty sure the exact thing you're looking for is all covered in primal blueprint fitness. get it here.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    nice one primal rob, thanks. The Primal Fitness e-book is a great start.