Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why We Don't Drink Pig's Milk page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Why We Don't Drink Pig's Milk

Primal Fuel
    The other day I was wondering why I don't ever see pig's milk cheese...

Pig's Milk...a Guest Post from Hank Sock

Posted by Hank Green on January 19, 2011 at 3:23pm

So the reasons why we don't drink pig milk or eat pig cheese are complicated. Clearly, cows, sheep, goats, all produce excellent milk and cheese. Even camels are milked.

But pigs are one of the exceptions to the farmyard milking rule. Pigs and horses and mice and dogs and cats all are not milked. Why? Well, let's just stick to pigs for now, because if we include all of those animals, I'd have to write a whole book.

So there are several important interconnecting factors to consider why determining why we don't drink Pig's milk.

1. The physiology of the pig itself

2. The creation of the pig as a domestic farm animal

3. The actual composition of pig milk

We do not know which of these factors are the most important, but all of them play a role in the pig not being used for milk.

1. The Physiology of the Pig.
    Pigs are mammals, and thus they lactate to feed their young. However, unlike cows, sheep and goats, pigs to not have udders. In addition, pigs can have up to 18 piglets per litter, and thus they need a lot of nipples, each producing a small amount of milk.

The result of this is that it is very difficult to manually milk a pig. In fact, this would best be done by a machine that would hold the pig and reproduce the suckling actions of 14 simultaneous piglets. The complexity of making such a machine even today indicates that when humans were first domesticating pigs, they would have no way of effectively getting milk out of a pig.

This ties into:

2. The Creation of the Pig as a Domestic Animal
    Pigs, like all farm animals, are modified forms of their wild ancestors. Thus, the purposes that the original domesticators of farm animals had in mind for farm animals were reinforced during the process of domestication. Thus, because pigs were difficult to milk, the domesticators of pigs did not breed pigs for the ability to milk them. Thus pigs remained difficult to milk and, in fact, have been bred to create more piglets and be even more difficult to milk.

This relationship between the traits of domesticated animals and the purposes humans have for them is fascinating and complicated and, of course, has to do with genetics and artificial selection.

Additionally, because the pig was bred as a meat animal, and pigs cannot get pregnant while lactating, farmers had every reason to stop the lactating of the sow as soon as the piglets were weaned so that it could begin creating a new litter. This resulted in another negative feedback against dairy production for domesticated porcines.

3. The composition of Pig's Milk

Chemically, pig's milk is richer in fat than cows, and so would be very nutritious for people to drink. It is actually more similar to human breast milk than other animals and so may have been preferable as a nutritious snack for children.

However, pig's milk does not contain the short-chain fatty acids that make goat, sheep and cow milk taste like milk. The long-chain fatty acids of pig milk would not taste bad, but they would taste strange to us. Additionally, the taste of an animal's milk is heavily influenced by the diet of pigs, and the diet of pigs varries significantly seasonally. Thus there would be no consistent flavor and sometimes it might even be objectionable.

Finally, we have a reason that I have not even listed. We do not drink pig's milk because we do not drink pig's milk.

It is perfectly possible now to create a machine that would milk a pig, a pig that would produce more milk, and even a pig that could get pregnant while lactating. But because pigs are not part of our cultural consciousness of the idea of dairy, and because they have an unclean image in the eyes of most cultures, it is unlikely that even if science can produce great pig milk that people will ever be interested in drinking it.

That is simply an effect of culture, which is far more complciated than anything silly, like the composition of fatty acid chains.

And now you know...or, more correctly, now you better understand how much we don't know about something so very simple.

- Hank Sock
    Source: Pig's Milk...a Guest Post from Hank Sock - Nerdfighters
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i don't drink it because, ewwwwww pig milk?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Umm... that silly little story said horses are not milked.

Derp.

Some cultures do milk mares(see Central Asia)... and mare's milk is quite tasty too BTW.
    Yes, I have milked my own horse and drank the milk.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

If someone comes up with a pig milking machine... I can see it now:

The Pig Milk Diet: How I Lost 100 pounds in two weeks!

10 Reasons Why You Should/Shouldn't Add This New Superfood to Your Diet

The Dirty Little Truth About Pig Milk

And of course: Did Paleolithic Man Milk Pigs?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

canio6 Guest
    I don't drink pigs milk for one simple reason - pig's milk is what future bacon drinks. I won't deprive them of that. (or myself)

that's like milking dogs *shudder* leave the teats along
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Over the next 90 minutes, I want to show you that all of your problems can be solved with my penis.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    that's like milking dogs *shudder* leave the teats along
    But what about teh kittehs...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I don't drink pigs milk for one simple reason - pig's milk is what future bacon drinks. I won't deprive them of that. (or myself)
    Seriously...
    Respect the bacons.
    Even the little baby bacons.
    So they can grow up and be properly "murdered" like Mr. Perfidy says.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    But what about teh kittehs...
    that man is a hero anyone who milks a cat is taking his life in his hands every day
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

B*tch-lite

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast