Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal Julesy - TELL ME NOT TO EAT TORTILLA CHIPS page 2

Faithnme is offline Junior Member
    I am so glad I saw your post tonight. I am new to the primal lifestyle and I can't seem to not eat tortilla chips. They have been my go to food when I am stressed. I need to stop eating them!

julesy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orannhawk View Post
    Jules
    I grew up eating corn, grown by my Dad's first cousin ... all natural, no chemicals, nothing. We ate it fresh, we froze it, we waited for the fields to dry and then we picked the dry corn, shelled it ourselves and had it stone ground at a little mill for our cornmeal. That's what I really miss ...

And, like Joanie says "Monsanto SUCKS" !
    When I want corn (of any kind) I think about the fact that there are farmers and ranchers who are still feeding livestock corn to fatten them up (obviously another reason to stick with grass-fed !) ... and that along with the chemical crap is enough to sway any possible cravings !

I lived in the Bay Area in 2007, close to Berkeley (love Berkeley btw) but I missed out on getting by the Berkeley Bowl before I moved back to Texas.
    Oh man. I know, Orrenhawk. Not just the tortilla chips but when summer rolls around and the guy with the best corn shows up at my local farmer's market. Yipes. Nothing like a fresh ear of corn with butter and salt. Sigh. I guess it's loaded with sugar too isn't it?

Thought I responded to this but don't see it! I'm not very techy. This is my first forum that I plan to be involved in. Anyway, Faith, I hear you. It's tempting because a lot (or most) of local chips are made with no preservatives and just corn, oil and salt - gluten free. So it seems like it would be a good "cheat"! BUT, to the other's points never considered the source of the corn and also the oil. Power on with no tortilla chips!

Jules

I lived in the Bay Area in 2007, close to Berkeley (love Berkeley btw) but I missed out on getting by the Berkeley Bowl before I moved back to Texas.
    Wow! Sorry you didn't get to the Berkeley Bowl. It's the best grocery store in the world (in my opinion). Sometimes I take people there who are visiting from out of town like it's another tourist stop. I'm fortunate living where I do. Easy to find grass fed meats, organic produce year-round - all local. I bet it would be hard in Texas!

Orannhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by julesy View Post
    Wow! Sorry you didn't get to the Berkeley Bowl. It's the best grocery store in the world (in my opinion). Sometimes I take people there who are visiting from out of town like it's another tourist stop. I'm fortunate living where I do. Easy to find grass fed meats, organic produce year-round - all local. I bet it would be hard in Texas!
    Interestingly there are numerous ranchers all within less than an hours drive who are raising all grass-fed. Fairly good with the local farmers market, but I am not in the range of getting a CSA box (frowning), so I have to rely on trips into Austin for some things at Whole Foods or Wheatsville. I lived in Santa Fe for close to 5 years before moving to Cali, had access there to an amazing farmers market every Saturday, along with WF's, Vitamin Cottage, and several other natural stores for good things.
    Everything's shiny, Cap'n. Not to fret.

Interestingly there are numerous ranchers all within less than an hours drive who are raising all grass-fed. Fairly good with the local farmers market, but I am not in the range of getting a CSA box (frowning), so I have to rely on trips into Austin for some things at Whole Foods or Wheatsville. I lived in Santa Fe for close to 5 years before moving to Cali, had access there to an amazing farmers market every Saturday, along with WF's, Vitamin Cottage, and several other natural stores for good things.
    SO glad to hear there are great farmer's markets all over the nation. Phew!

Feeling Good. Feeling Bad.

Interesting that I feel good mentally that I've eaten very well since last Friday and the tortilla chip debacle, but I'm feeling pretty bad physically today. Down in the dumps, no energy and an on again off again sinus headache. Bummer. Anyway, here's my eats:

Before workout: 1/2 grapefruit and half banana
    After workout - big steamy bowl of homemade chicken stock with 4 oz chicken, wilted spinach and mushrooms, salt and pepper - oh so yum!
    Lunch: two lamb sausages from Prather Meat company with leftover sauted greens in coconut milk (got that greens recipe on one of the paleo sites and it's REALLY good). Some time when I have a few minutes, I'll try to find the link
    snack: handful of raw almonds, two squares 85% dark chocolate
    Dinner: leftover two lamb sausages with sauted greens and coconut milk, one square of 85% dark chocolate

Aaargh. I need to read Mark's book again. I did the paleo tracker and I have a 8.5:1 Omega ratio for the day. Can't remember what that means, but according to Paleo tracker it's not good. Anyone know what causes this?

Jergemy is offline Banned
    you could move to Mexico

Faithnme is offline Junior Member

Impressed with the menu

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Julesy-love your detailed menus you've listed here. I have never been all that interested in cooking. I tend to "just grab something" versus all the awesome meal planning I see on this site. I think a key for me is to stop working so many hours. At least I did not eat tortilla chips today. Nor did I get chips at the cafe at work which is huge because I love the salt and vinegar ones too. I think I need to do some meal planning and start there so I have something always available rather than just grabbing something. Thanks for the inspiration.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast