Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lower belly - is it just fat or something more? page 4

Sora is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Next update! Had my yearly check-up yesterday. Everything was normal, though she is testing my thyroid just in case. I have also decided to try even more exercise, so inbetween my c25k days I'll be doing the elliptical (which I actually enjoy more). Weekends are rest days.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Running will only strip your body of muscle, causing to to add more fat so you stay near your set-point. If you want your belly to disappear, you need to grow muscle, not destroy it. Stop running (for the most part - I'm sure indulging twice a week won't do too much harm at all, and it's probably fun for you!), start doing plenty of bodyweight exercises and then lifting the heaviest weights you can 5x5. Simple as that. Eating lots of protein is obviously mandatory, but not as much protein as you might think. As your body lays down muscle, your fat likely will disappear. Simple as that.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Running in itself does not strip your body of muscle. Crash diets, bad nutrition, and over-training do.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Adding an elliptical to running everyday? All that cardio is not going to help.

Dear Mark: Chronic Cardio | Mark's Daily Apple
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

fresa is offline Member
    I'm with knifegill. Stop running, start using weights and walking. I too tend carry my weight arond my stomach. When I was losing weight after first starting primal, I started running thinking it would speed up the process, and my weight loss stopped and then started to reverse. Luckily, I noticed after about 2 weeks (it all happened quite quickly), so I hadn't done too much damage. I went back to walking, and the weight started to fall again. I'd cut out the running for the most part if I were you! It doesn't seem like you've noticed it helping, so I'm not sure why you are continuing unless it is fun. Which it might be for you, but I know I hate it :P

little vase is online now Senior Member
    I love running as much as anyone but I agree that you need to stop. Walking and recreational biking will help way more than running will if you want to get outside and move. Read this and google around with regards to cortisol and belly fat. I changed from running to walking just a few weeks ago and have already seen a major difference in my lower abdomen, and I never thought it would be flat again after 2 c-sections.

So do try "moving slowly for long periods of time" with a few sprints thrown in once a week or so. You should see some nice changes.
    Last edited by little vase; 06-06-2013 at 09:07 AM.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    I love running as much as anyone but I agree that you need to stop. Walking and recreational biking will help way more than running will if you want to get outside and move. Read this and google around with regards to cortisol and belly fat. I changed from running to walking just a few weeks ago and have already seen a major difference in my lower abdomen, and I never thought it would be flat again after 2 c-sections.

So do try "moving slowly for long periods of time" with a few sprints thrown in once a week or so. You should see some nice changes.
    That was super-informative lil'vase -- i've bookmarked it because it had some fantastic info I need to reread and incorporate!
    thanks

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    I would say normal and agree with previous poster - women naturally have lower abdominal fat in order to help make babies. Working on posture -ala Kelly Starrett really helps. Also make sure your diastis recti muscles are together as that can cause a pooching. And be proud! We are women and we can make babies. That's pretty damn amazing
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I was just noticing this, too; I've gotten very close to my goal weight, and when I turn sideways my lower tummy still sticks out a little bit. I think it's a female thing.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think there's anything wrong with your abdomen that good posture and a slimming undergarment can't fix
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast