Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Musings from the 100 Acre Woods page 2

Tigger is offline Member
    Shop Now
    You'd love our household. I have four Cinderellas who live here. To hear them moan over the years, you'd think I was asking them to cut off an arm AND a leg! But, on the other hand, if I suddenly leave the country for two months, my kids could take over with the only arguments being who does what. And they would schedule in more "Do Nothing Days," but they'd survive.

I'm not envious enough to trade places with you (49 is NOT the age to start out again with a newborn!), but I do miss those early years too. And, to be perfectly honest, I miss my 25 year old body too. The weight has fluctuated over the years, 25ish pounds, but the body does creak and groan with each passing year. I'm hoping that PB will help with that, although there's that nasty little caveat of "Get off the couch and actually do something, Stupid!" At least with a little one, you're on the floor playing or cleaning up crumbs with great regularity.
    I meet with a few friends once a week for yoga, and I walk at least once a week. Nothing stellar, but it's a pretty consistent babystep. I just got back from today's walk. It's 91, with a heat index hovering around 100, at 10:00 in the morning (Welcome to a typical St. Louis' summer!). I walked a mile and 1/2 in 30 minutes through our subdivision, so I actully had a few shady spots along the way. I should have taken the dog, but I felt sorry for him in a fur coat, even though he's an outside mutt.
    Do you have a workout plan or routine?

Tigger is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Day 4 of 33

Weight: 181

I made it through my first fast since the end of May, 36 hours with just water. I really do feel much better, and my confidence levels are definitely UP. With an eight week break, the lack of routines (Isn't summer wonderful?), vacation, kids in and out of the house, and all the easy mindless way to snack, I thought yesterday would be much harder. I'm sure it helped that I've made every effort to be ready for this over the past few days. Still, I wasn't sure if two days would be enough. I had my usual stomach growls around 10 in the morning, and then again at 4:00 when my daughter was making cupcakes for her birthday today. It did smell heavenly! But other than those two times, I did well. Fortunately dinner was "On your Own" because everyone had some place to be during the evening, so I didn't have the temptation of making dinner with all its yummy smells.

Before breakfast this morning, I took a leisurely 50 minute walk. I need to ask my daughter how to download iTunes to my phone. I wanted to listen to a Paleohacks podcast, but I had to settle for Pandora. Disney classics from the cartoons of my era are never a bad choice! It was already hot and humid, so I made sure I went at a slow pace, probably around 2 miles.

Upon walking in the door, my hubby greeted me with two fried eggs (coconut oil, turmeric, and salsa), bacon, and fresh blackberries! I love that man! Now I just need a shower (when it's finally free), and I'll be set for the day.

I was reading one of the early success stories last night, and this paragraph from Sterling's jumped out at me: "I wanted to scream that pharmacologic intervention and the billions spent on their marketing would be completely and utterly unnecessary if companies (pharma, agra, government) and doctors would spend a fraction of their time, money, and energy preaching the truth about exercise and proper nutrition. Although, at times, I don’t think that they even know (educated ignorance I guess). Sure, they offer diet and exercise as first-line treatment for a lot of medical problems. But only to fill a ‘check-the-box’ requirement for insurance companies before they move on to drug therapy. If people truly knew the healing power of proper exercise and proper nutrition, there would be nothing to stop them."

I used to be one of the many who are the educated ignorant. I read everything I could get my hands on, and for the most part, followed it. Until it didn't work. I remember dieting perfectly for the first 2-3 weeks and losing a respectable 5 pounds. Then after 1 dinner at a pizza buffet, I woke up to a six pound gain! Now I know I didn't stop at just one piece of pizza, but there is no way I ate 21,000 (3500 x 6) calories in one meal! I'm sure some of it was the "expected water retention from all the salt," but still! Then the brain starts in with all the , "Maybe this is the weight I'm supposed to be," and "I'll just learn to be happy with the body I have." That's a dangerous place! I think I did learn to be happy with where I was, but when the rest of the aches and pains started in, and I realized that the eating was becoming uncontrollable, I knew I had to look somewhere else. I couldn't keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. Thank goodness we have the internet and can do our own research now, instead of having to completely rely on the medical field!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12