Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitting your kids page 4

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i agree with your whole post, him
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    As a non parent I am curious how no-spank parents develop resepct in a child that doesn't have any. When there is active disrespect to parents/adults/strangers - how do you *instill* respect? Beyond the logical explanation of "you should be respectful to X, Y, Z" what happens when they are deciding to be little turds?
    ad astra per aspera

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJewishAmericanPrincess View Post
    I don't believe that "it depends on the child." It depends on the parent. If a parent hits and the lesson ends there, of course the deviant behavior can continue. If parenting were as easy as hitting=success or guilt=success, we would have a world full of successful, well adjusted adults. But there is more to it than that. We have parents that hit without remorse or love and parents that coddle and never teach independance.
    Sorry, but the child's personality absolutely plays a part in how it works.
    The same parents with two children of two different emotional dispositions will have very different outcomes if they try and use the exact same discipline methods on both children no matter how hard they try and manage them identically.

Simple facts.

Lots of children get hit/spanked and get over it because children are for the most part very resilient little beasts.
    Lots of children get over even unspeakable acts of violence and abuse inside the home to become, for all appearances, normal well adjusted adults.

But to other children not so much. They are less resilient to those early stage traumas, or they internalize it more.
    It does make a real difference in the rate of violence in adults.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    So here's a question for all the adults on this line of discussion:

It's Monday morning, and you have an interview at an organization that you are very excited about. You have prepared for this interview and you eagerly await the big meeting with the director. The director enters the interview room, sits down and asks for a copy of your resume. Oh my God --- it's the one thing you have overlooked throughout this whole process. Who could have known this Director would have asked for a copy of your resume.

You apologize for not bringing an extra copy of your resume, and the director stands up, approaches you, and smacks you across the face for being naughty in not bringing your resume.

At first you are shocked, and then you feel you 'deserve the punishment' for being so 'stupid' for forgetting something as basic as your resume.

Now let's pause a moment. Let's say you are a child. And let's say as a child you made a mistake, or overlooked something that your parents wanted from you. How did that smack across the face feel?

Did that smack make you a better person? Did that smack make you smarter? more effective? more responsible?

Did that smack make you feel more respectful to the role of authority?

What is the purpose of the smack and could the message have been delivered in a more respectful, thoughtful way?

I'm not pretending to know the answers to these questions....but someone needs to ask the questions here........

/signed, thoughtful
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    So here's a question for all the adults on this line of discussion:

It's Monday morning, and you have an interview at an organization that you are very excited about. You have prepared for this interview and you eagerly await the big meeting with the director. The director enters the interview room, sits down and asks for a copy of your resume. Oh my God --- it's the one thing you have overlooked throughout this whole process. Who could have known this Director would have asked for a copy of your resume.

You apologize for not bringing an extra copy of your resume, and the director stands up, approaches you, and smacks you across the face for being naughty in not bringing your resume.

At first you are shocked, and then you feel you 'deserve the punishment' for being so 'stupid' for forgetting something as basic as your resume.

Now let's pause a moment. Let's say you are a child. And let's say as a child you made a mistake, or overlooked something that your parents wanted from you. How did that smack across the face feel?

Did that smack make you a better person? Did that smack make you smarter? more effective? more responsible?

Did that smack make you feel more respectful to the role of authority?

What is the purpose of the smack and could the message have been delivered in a more respectful, thoughtful way?

I'm not pretending to know the answers to these questions....but someone needs to ask the questions here........

/signed, thoughtful
    I think that's a pretty blatant straw man argument/example. I don't think anyone advocates corporal punishment for a mistake on this level :/
    ad astra per aspera

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I got hit at school (another country) and at home. My parents have no problem with corporal punishment.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

i would respect his authoritah, lousia

i should have remembered my extra resume

also, i'm sorry,but who the f here is advocating a slapping a small child on the face for any reason
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    I think that's a pretty blatant straw man argument/example. I don't think anyone advocates corporal punishment for a mistake on this level :/
    Unfortunately... a lot of people do exactly that.

As an aside, with my own son... at one point I did have to take his books away. *sigh*
    Because THAT was an effective punishment for him: grounding him from reading.
    Weird but true.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    No it's not. That's the sort of stuff that kids get hit for all the time.

When you subtitute another adult into the 'child' role it's easy to see how completely unacceptable the behaviour of the 'parent' is.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    who is advocating slapping a child across the face for a mistake?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast