Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitting your kids page 14

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Someone replied to my comment about making the environment safe for our children. I am sorry that didn't work for you, but it did for us. Mine figured out child locks yes, but if they opened them we moved on to something else.

Ill be honest here. My children find things they shouldn't be playing with while I am doing things like replying to threads like these. It made me realise they need more of me. Sorry if anyone is offended by that, but it was also hard for me to admit to myself too.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Yeah, sorry if it came across that way. I really do wish you the best. I want everyone's kids to turn out great. We need some better adults in this world
    We sure do.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I am sorry, but in my parenting experience, my children do not act out just for the fun of it.
    It can be as simple as tiredness or hunger, or someone took something, and they aren't able to express to them that its not OK.
    There is always an underlying reason.
    i'm related to some brats that take joy in being mean

brats is harsh. they're sweet. sometimes.
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Oh and I wasn't saying children need 100% of our time either, we as parents do need time to do shit like argue on forums

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post

I find that children like that have usually been trained to act that way by their parents through either negative or irregular reinforcement.
    Don't blame the kids. It's the adults who are raising them that need the "swat".
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post

Oh that sucks, I hope I don't come across people like that, but I guess they must be out there since you know some

phigment is offline Senior Member
    My mom said she was the one who raised us then she was the one to punish us. Dad was absent parent in formative years I believe he returned home when I was in 3rd grade. She only allowed grandmother because she babysat for free. Grandmother was old school "spare the rod spoil the child." mindset.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I find that children like that have usually been trained to act that way by their parents through either negative or irregular reinforcement.
    Don't blame the kids. It's the adults who are raising them that need the "swat".
    granted, the parents aren't perfect, but they (like a lot of kids) will lie to your face after you watch them do something they know they aren't supposed to

they try to kick and punch and laugh. even after a talking to. even after a spank. they get put in time out? they whine and lie and lie some more

for a people watcher, it's interesting and amusing to watch
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

saturnfan is offline Senior Member
    I was spanked a few times as a child. At some point, around first grade I think, my parents stopped doing it. I’m not sure if it was because they felt I was too old, or if they felt it was wrong. When it did happen, it was a relatively mild affair and I never felt afraid or intimidated by my parents.

In talking with some people I know with advanced degrees in psychology and such, most are in agreement that spanking is an ineffectual behavior modification tool unless the child is attempting to do something that is putting them in serious physical danger. For example, if a child is attempting to run into a busy intersection, a hard slap on the face might be the best option to prevent a tragedy and teach them a potentially lifesaving lesson.

Therefore, I can see how physical punishment has a place in child rearing, if such research is accurate. But I think the trend is overall against it.
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Yeah, sorry if it came across that way. I really do wish you the best. I want everyone's kids to turn out great. We need some better adults in this world
    same. I am just kinda baffled that people are treating a smack in the face as some kind of horrible abuse...(I don't think that I ever was by my parents except like a wrist swat halfhearted thing).

If you aren't winding up and planting your feet and shit with ahab malice, it's not possible to do anything that isn't healed in a day. It's only purpose in our evolution is to trigger violent impulses and to mingle them in an implied-combat-potential setting to form subordination to violence. It's all in the mind.

The point is that after the slap, you tell them that this is violence. Know that it is in the world and know that your feelings are the feelings you give people when you act violently. It is cheaper and a better return to party with everyone.

I'm not advocating a habitual beating or violent domination of children.* But a lot of you are going on like the kid is supposed to understand why violence is bad just because mommy says. It's like trying to rationally impart to them the value of orgasm.

*I do however advocate a more benevolent and yet natural means of imparting the implication that the adult is powerful, through interactive game and sport/combat education mammal play
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast