Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Grains, Rice, Corn, etc. Whats their purpose...? page 6

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Rich, while I understand your question (and agree with it), one very closely related is WHY'd we make those extra resources - increased demand.

The two go hand in hand.

M.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    By the fact that is evolutionary biology, having a "purpose" is not required for a species to exist and survive.

i.e. Not all living things have purposes. I'm sure there are plenty of animals and insects that ate grains before domestication. The point is that you're looking at it wrong.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Is the gazelle's purpose to feed the lion, or is the lion's purpose to keep the gazelle population in check?

What is our purpose?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

ToldUzo is offline Senior Member
    It is called ecosystem... food chain... evolution.
    Insects and birds eat plants and the seeds of plants.... Mammals eat birds.. A larger/stronger/faster mammal eats the smaller mammals... and so on. In a way the grains indirectly feed you whether you eat it or not. Circle of life!

If the environment changes, only the species that are able to adapt to that change have success in surviving. So the more species of plants and animals there are on the planet, the bigger changes are that some of them will survive to make life on Earth. In contrast to Mars!
    What on earth?! Take a walk on the wild side.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Birds eat grains :P

Sorry everyone, was just responding to the initial question .

Hmm just because a particular plant exists has really nothing to do with humans. If it exists in great quantity due to agriculture that's still nothing to do with the plant itself and everything to do with the humans cultivating it.

While humans weren't ideally designed to digest grains, other creatures can.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    Rich, while I understand your question (and agree with it), one very closely related is WHY'd we make those extra resources - increased demand.

The two go hand in hand.

M.
    Every species is limited by the food available to it. That's an absolute fact. Yes, the foundation thinkers of the Mesopotamian culture probably had it in their minds that they'd be able to feed more people.

But if you're suggesting agriculture was a response to having outstripped the land's carrying capacity, you've got the story backwards. To quote Daniel Quinn (as I often do):"You can no more respond to famine by planting a crop than you can respond to falling out of an airplane by knitting a parachute"

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Maybe the OP is religious. Holy God made the earth for us doncha know Grains were put here to test us!

Or maybe the OP is a troll. (I love how sometimes people just pop in with one question, spark a debate and then disappear...)
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Nevermind the "purpose" of grains or how we came to consume or rely on it as humans, there is one simple fact:

Grains are not expected foodstuffs by our genes

this is scientifically proven (all the studies in marks posts), allthough we have body systems (insulin etc) that can help us get by eating grains, it is definately a sub optimal foodstuff for us.
    When our genes where forged there wasn't a monoculture grain crop as far as the eye can see, grains growing naturally would've been very few and far between.

Also those answering "birds eat grains" i know even the domesticated chook goes nuts over a worm or a cockroach

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    Nevermind the "purpose" of grains or how we came to consume or rely on it as humans, there is one simple fact:

Grains are not expected foodstuffs by our genes

this is scientifically proven (all the studies in marks posts), allthough we have body systems (insulin etc) that can help us get by eating grains, it is definately a sub optimal foodstuff for us.
    When our genes where forged there wasn't a monoculture grain crop as far as the eye can see, grains growing naturally would've been very few and far between.

Also those answering "birds eat grains" i know even the domesticated chook goes nuts over a worm or a cockroach
    However, just because a food is relatively new to our body does not mean it is harmful to us.

My exceptions: white rice, nixtamalized non-GMO corn (such as Whole Foods organic yellow corn tortillas treated with lime - not lime juice, calcium carbonate, bagged limestone mix from Home Depot).

Asian societies and central American societies thrive on white rice and non-GMO corn boiled in alkali solution. Both are very low toxin and a clean source of energy. Are potatoes and fruit more nutritious? Absolutely. White rice and treated corn, while low toxin, are also low nutrient per calorie, so you'll probably do better putting more nutritious starches in their place (plantains, bananas, sweet potatoes, white potatoes). However, here and there if you are insulin sensitive it probably won't hurt IMO. If it's good enough for Robb Wolf, it's good enough for me.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Is the gazelle's purpose to feed the lion, or is the lion's purpose to keep the gazelle population in check?

What is our purpose?
    To truly understand the answers, you absolutely must take a gene's eye view of the whole thing. The purpose of the gazelle is to provide a survival mechanism for the genetic material that has taken the strategy* of propogating itself along with all the rest of the genetic material that constitutes a gazelle.

*Through cumulative effects of billions of years of random changes, obviously not through actual effort or choice, this is a personification to make the whole thing sound less confusing.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast