Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dealing with temptation at work page 3

Philmont Scott is offline Junior Member

That's NOT Food (to me)

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Every time you say 'no', the next 'no' becomes easier. That's been my experience. Plus, I have an over-inflated ego in regards to my cooking talents, so after a while the goodies stopped being food - I have developed a deep mistrust of anything that anyone else makes (I mean I do not experience a desire to eat paper towels, do I?). It is never as perfect as what I make! The only downside is that the only time I can't dodge the bullet is when I bake myself. That doesn't happen too often, so I indulge and try not to feel like I am committing a Nutritional Crime.
    First, as Leida says, it should get easier over time if you keep saying no. For me, the trick was to focus on "That's NOT Food". Sometimes, I would say "That's not food to me", to be less judging of others, but as long as I am not saying it out loud, I have simplified it to "That's not food".
    It is amazing how much less you want to eat something when you concentrate on the fact that what you are looking at is not food.

Second, eat good meals. A good breakfast, and a good lunch allow me to get through the day without wanting to eat other things, especially "not food".

Finally, consider having a better alternative available if you really want to eat something instead of the "not food" that is being offered.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Make the rule, that you don't eat what you did not bring. Make it known to the office. You don't have to be obnoxious about it, just mention your rule when offered snacks. Once you have told 3-4 people, they will quit offering and start reminding you of the rule when you start looking over offerings...at least that has been my experience.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

phigment is offline Senior Member
    Go brush your teeth when you start looking at the poison of your coworkers. I very rarley like to eat after brushing makes everything taste icky.

BurritoJimmy is offline Junior Member
    One thing I've found helpful is keeping some extremely hot hot sauce on hand and swirling it around in my mouth. It kills cravings easily for sweets and also curbs appetite in general. i use ghost pepper hot sauce and dont swallow so i numb the taste buds but dont hurt the stomach.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Holy crap, BurritoJimmy, that's certainly one way to go about it! I think I have to count myself lucky that my willpower keeps me away from the sweets most of the time, and I don't have to swish ghost pepper hot sauce! I would be crying all the time!

sunsis is offline Member
    "Do you guys mind if I move this stuff to the breakroom. Okay cool, thanks."

Done.

sunsis is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurritoJimmy View Post
    One thing I've found helpful is keeping some extremely hot hot sauce on hand and swirling it around in my mouth. It kills cravings easily for sweets and also curbs appetite in general. i use ghost pepper hot sauce and dont swallow so i numb the taste buds but dont hurt the stomach.
    lmao like that dude from the movie War Inc?

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurritoJimmy View Post
    Awesome idea! I'm going to go find me some ghost pepper hot sauce. I love spicy food, but I don't think I've ever had ghost peppers before. I've heard that it is unpleasantly spicy, even for those who like spicy food.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I totally sympathize with the OP! My office always, always has free food - sandwiches, cookies, cakes, etc. I work at a consumer goods manufacturer and we make blenders, slow-cookers, and other kitchen appliances so there is always a cake baking or chicken being breaded and deep-fried. It's tough at times, especially when the smell of cake comes wafting down the hall!

As many have already said, I am prepared at work with lots of snacks at my desk. Also, the vending machine at my office has things like pistachios and beef jerky, if I happen to forget my snacks at home or run out.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I use the 'not food' trick when I am walking through certain sections in the grocery store, but to have it close to me all day...I think I would bring out the big guns.

How about an aversion technique: Take a big smell of the treats. Then smell something you find disgusting(cigarette ashes would do it for me, and sadly, very easy to find). Imagine both those smells together, and as tastes in your mouth. Repeat several times a day until the treat smell automatically makes the other one spring to mind.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123