Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with temptation at work page 2

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Picture the top of the muffin spliting open and hundereds of cockroachs(or whatever creepness does it for you) spilling out and running around spitting and pooping on all the rest of the icky food.
    Your welcome
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Temptations are everywhere: At your relative's house --- in your own home -- at a restaurant -- at a conference --- at every holiday -- on Valentine's Day..... I mean, temptations are EVERYWHERE. So, eat more fat, curb the cravings and get over it. The world isn't going to cater their primal lunch every day and you will have to work it out./lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    This sounds really mean, but when I worked in an office and was tempted by baked goods all the time, what worked for me was just looking at my coworkers who did eat the treats every day. I don't judge them for giving in and eating the sweets--working in an office is mind-numbing--but I didn't want to look like them, and it was a powerful motivator to stay away from the bad stuff.
    Careful heatseeker and itchy166 - there was just a thread on this exact thing and the OP was flamed for having "un-nice thoughts"
    Not my personal opinion - I do the same thing. Just pointing out that some people on here don't like that we share these thoughts on this forum.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Being well-prepared is what stops me. I make sure to eat a good breakfast, and for a while, I would keep some snacks at my desk. Sometimes that meant I overate almonds or whatever it was, but it got my through the irresistible cravings period. Now I can walk past with no issue.
    This is a good thing. I have a quart of yogurt in the fridge, many cans of sockeye salmon and chicken on my desk, there are sweet potatoes in my desk drawer, oil and vinegar for salads, spare change for emergency food/coffee, extra dark chocolate lurking somewhere and I brought some food from home for breakfast.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Every time you say 'no', the next 'no' becomes easier. That's been my experience. Plus, I have an over-inflated ego in regards to my cooking talents, so after a while the goodies stopped being food - I have developed a deep mistrust of anything that anyone else makes (I mean I do not experience a desire to eat paper towels, do I?). It is never as perfect as what I make! The only downside is that the only time I can't dodge the bullet is when I bake myself. That doesn't happen too often, so I indulge and try not to feel like I am committing a Nutritional Crime.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Leather Couch View Post
    Careful heatseeker and itchy166 - there was just a thread on this exact thing and the OP was flamed for having "un-nice thoughts"
    Not my personal opinion - I do the same thing. Just pointing out that some people on here don't like that we share these thoughts on this forum.
    Thanks. I saw the thread you are talking about and will take my chances. My post could be read in two ways - tons of bad food, or tons of overweight people. One is an example of a SAD diet, the other is the result of that diet. No judgement call here - I've eaten a SAD diet for years Personally I didn't end up too overweight, but I sure was starting to develop other health issues.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Picture the top of the muffin spliting open and hundereds of cockroachs(or whatever creepness does it for you) spilling out and running around spitting and pooping on all the rest of the icky food.
    Your welcome
    Oh my god... you just reminded me of a hypnosis video my sister used to play when she was trying to lose weight...

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Stop going to work. It's not primal at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    This is how I feel but just can't seem to convince my wife.
    Lol.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

If I were the sort of person who could eat one mini bar of chocolate from the co-worker's desk every few months, I wouldn't worry about it at all. But I'm not. I'm the sort of person who uses the first mini bar as a gateway drug. After that first mini bar, I eat quite a few more, because they're there and I'm bored/ restless/ annoyed/ (insert excuse here) and as we know, eating sugar leads to cravings for more sugar. Before you know it, I have eaten the equivalent of several full-size candy bars for no reason and I am making resolutions to eat healthy tomorrow and ever further into the future ("Today's shot... I'll try again next Wednesday. Yup, definitely next Wednesday.") I have discovered that it is much easier not to eat the first mini bar to begin with than to start making these stupid bargains with myself. It really is!

Also, a lot of those office "indulgences" aren't even that good to begin with. Do you really want your splurge item to be a stale leftover muffin from a meeting? There are primal foods that taste way better than that! (Hello, berries and heavy cream...)

Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    Thanks. I saw the thread you are talking about and will take my chances. My post could be read in two ways - tons of bad food, or tons of overweight people. One is an example of a SAD diet, the other is the result of that diet. No judgement call here - I've eaten a SAD diet for years Personally I didn't end up too overweight, but I sure was starting to develop other health issues.
    Oh me too!! I was total SAD, not considerably overweight, but certainly on my way to getting there with a nonexistent willpower and tendency to binge.
    I work for a health care company - and you would be shocked at how many of my co-workers are unhealthy and overweight. Now, I have a daily reminder of how dangerous and unhealthy I could be if I backslide.

To the OP: I work in an office setting too. I just don't indulge, ever. I 100% abstain from eating snacks/party food at work. And we have an obscene amount of food around at all times (seriously, every other freakin' day it's someone else's birthday or corporate had ice cream/cake/cookies/food brought in or a co-worker brought in candy/cookies/brownies for everyone). Aaaaand the vending machine is right outside my office.
    Now, I absolutely indulge when I am home or out socially. But I made it a rule that I just never do at work - mainly because I do not have control over what the "cheat" item is - I am at the mercy of whomever is throwing the office party that day. If I cheat, I want it to be a real treat - not some dried schlock parading as cake with subpar icing (I'd rather go to my favorite pie shop and get a real slice of delicious, home-baked pie). See what I'm saying??

Just say no!

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Not a problem for me. I am fine with 100% avoidance. I run into problems with a 95% avoidance plan. So I just categorize stuff in the office as "food" or "not food" and never eat the "not food" because, well, it's not food.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast