Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Any gentle/attached parents around? Need advice? page 8

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Oh and other people can parent how they want but I was after advice from those who parent the same way not interested in other advice
    Your way is obviously NOT working. However, you only want to hear from people who are doing it your way. Cue the eat more wheat and high-fiber, low fat CW of the parenting world.

Some kid will smack the crap out of your kid, being bigger and faster, and your child will learn to quit hitting.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    So glad you have more details and can relax a bit now. Hitting and wrestling is a normal part of boys growing up, but it often does get out of hand. Schools have had to prevent many of these types of games (our school doesn't allow "red rover" or chasing games like tag as children often get hurt playing this way).

Good luck with the TV dilemma. Since it is such a big part of our society, kids who don't watch at all may not understand the references that are everywhere, but too much wastes valuable learning time/ experiences. Be open to other parenting ideas ( and I don't mean hitting) as no one way is the best in every situation. Remember you are a good Mom trying to become a better one!

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Wait, the school doesn't allow the kids to play rough? I don't mean fight, but wrestle etc? That is kind of sad. I know growing up we played all kinds of rough games at school. It was great.

Edit: and I am not looking for justification or explanation nor am I saying it is wrong/right/whatever. I just think it a bit sad.
    Totally. The "no horseplay" rules schools all seem to be adopting these days are anti-male bullshit in my opinion. There's nothing wrong with playful wrestling--and it's not hard to tell the difference. Playing involves laughing and happy shrieking, real fighting is accompanied by shouting, pain squeals and blood, then tears.

Telling little boys (and little girls, are they so inclined, though obviously it's more common for boys) never to roughhouse at recess is insane. Some schools don't even allow tag anymore!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Totally. The "no horseplay" rules schools all seem to be adopting these days are anti-male bullshit in my opinion. There's nothing wrong with playful wrestling--and it's not hard to tell the difference. Playing involves laughing and happy shrieking, real fighting is accompanied by shouting, pain squeals and blood, then tears.

Telling little boys (and little girls, are they so inclined, though obviously it's more common for boys) never to roughhouse at recess is insane. Some schools don't even allow tag anymore!
    I think it's because do lack of tort reform (liability specifically) that allows for this anti male agenda to be common place and easy to convince districts to implement
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    I think it's because do lack of tort reform (liability specifically) that allows for this anti male agenda to be common place and easy to convince districts to implement
    The no hands/no horseplay rules extend to both sexes equally.

Children in general are seriously discouraged from being too touchy with each other at all. Period. For any type of play.
    This extends to little girls doing each others hair and make-up when playing dress up as well.
    No touchy!

It's all liability issue.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

canio6 Guest

Agreed. We used to invent games where the potential of injury was involved. Hell, how many games of Smear the <slur> here did we play? How many games of tackle football with no pads, heck, a punch was as good as a handshake back in the day.

meeshar is offline Senior Member

Kids are being suspended for playing "cops and robbers". Parents Furious After Boys Suspended For Using Fingers As Guns « CBS Baltimore

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    The no hands/no horseplay rules extend to both sexes equally.

Children in general are seriously discouraged from being too touchy with each other at all. Period. For any type of play.
    This extends to little girls doing each others hair and make-up when playing dress up as well.
    No touchy!

It's all liability issue.
    However, it impacts boys more than girls
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
    Your way is obviously NOT working. However, you only want to hear from people who are doing it your way. Cue the eat more wheat and high-fiber, low fat CW of the parenting world.

Some kid will smack the crap out of your kid, being bigger and faster, and your child will learn to quit hitting.
    Um read the thread update, not sure why you think my way is not working.
    Hitting is NOT ok.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Wait, the school doesn't allow the kids to play rough? I don't mean fight, but wrestle etc? That is kind of sad. I know growing up we played all kinds of rough games at school. It was great.

Edit: and I am not looking for justification or explanation nor am I saying it is wrong/right/whatever. I just think it a bit sad.
    Yeah its one of their rules, and if it continues discipline goes to the next level, but they call me first. We will find another outlet for him, he wants to do martial arts. I know this is just a game and he and the other boys weren't hurting each other.
    But sadly he does have to follow the school rules. It didn't happen at all yesterday, but we will keep explaining what will happen if he carries on. I still don't know if he starts the game, but from what I have heard from the teacher, it doesn't seem so.

Quote Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
    No TV made an enormous difference in my childrens' behavior. The first day or two was hard for them, but now they are so immersed in their playing, reading, jumping, creating and building every day that they rarely even ask for TV. Does your son eat primally? Taking wheat out of my daughter's diet + no TV was the miracle behavior changer I had been hoping for! Best of luck to you!
    Yes 100% primal, the rest of his behaviour is fine.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    how do you handle the fact that in your home, there is no reward pursuit or punishment fear, but at school, "he has to follow the rules?" Has he asked about this at all? I am very interested in emergent awareness of subtle threats and such especially from the perspective of someone without such influence at home.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast