Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any gentle/attached parents around? Need advice? page 4

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    This isn't a matter of right vs. wrong parenting. People have their own parenting styles and while you might not agree with them, please don't insult other people's choices. This goes to multiple posters here. I have seen this very topic turn into a really ugly thread in the past before. It was shut down & deleted, IIRC, when people got really nasty.

Him, my memories of Simpsons when I was little were not so happy. I remember seeing a fair amount of cartoon gore. My parents didn't let me watch it & I didn't want to, it came on after some other show I was watching a few times so I caught a few minutes. Obviously that means my impression is not a great one, since I haven't ever watched a full episode, but I find it hard to believe that a 5 yr old would get anything positive from that show.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I regret letting them watch that show nw but no more

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Oh and other people can parent how they want but I was after advice from those who parent the same way not interested in other advice

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Him, my memories of Simpsons when I was little were not so happy. I remember seeing a fair amount of cartoon gore. My parents didn't let me watch it & I didn't want to, it came on after some other show I was watching a few times so I caught a few minutes. Obviously that means my impression is not a great one, since I haven't ever watched a full episode, but I find it hard to believe that a 5 yr old would get anything positive from that show.
    The Simpsons is quite polarizing in that some people think it pushes badness while others think it pushes overly preachy morality tales. As far as I can tell the difference is that the first group has watched short snippets of the show while the second group has watched at least one full episode. As for a 5 year old... totally depends on the kid/their attention span/etc..

Personally, I don't watch any TV for entertainment. I grew up with a TV up until I was about 10, at which point we moved and didn't replace it for many years. After an adjustment I just haven't wanted one. I make a point of watching a few episodes of most programs because they are part of the common cultural fabric and you can end up sounding pretty out of touch if you don't at least know about the various shows, but it's such a huge time killer.....so I'm not going to say that any kid should be watching any TV... but since I have watched some full episodes I'm also going to say that The Simpsons is like a trip to Morality School compared to most shows. It's not equivalent to South Park.
    Last edited by Him; 02-11-2013 at 01:14 PM.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    okay - so Gwamma is doing some thinking................IMO
    it is possibly irrelevent as to what disciplining methods a Parent uses (smacking, gentle etc... ) to teach our children about cause and effect, about actions and consequences. But it is our role as the Parent to pass on that actions have consequences and some of them are worse than others.
    These teaching have to be age appropriate.
    No point is saying to a new born baby - if you run across the road you might end up looking like that road kill.
    However a three year old child will understand that this could be a consequence of this action. ( if you stop and show him the roadkill)
    A new born baby learns that if it is hungry it cries - the consequence being it will be fed.
    Older children know that if you kill somebody and get caught - you will probably end up in jail.
    So as a parent we need to be able to pass on this wisdom without the child losing that ability to learn by its own mistakes.
    And we need to keep it age appropriate simple.
    What works for one family doesn't neccessarily work for another. What works for one child doesn't neccessarily work for another

..............sorry just the musing of an old Gwamma..............
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Oh and other people can parent how they want but I was after advice from those who parent the same way not interested in other advice
    Got to be careful going there...I know a lot of parents who call themselves 'attachment' parents who are doing nothing of the sort.

And as attached as I am to my kids, I wouldn't align myself with any parenting label, because no matter how closely you follow it, you'll only be noticed for the exceptions.

There are lots of effective and loving parents here who don't call themselves 'attachment' that might have some good advice to offer.
    Last edited by Sandra in BC; 02-11-2013 at 01:33 PM.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice. I am reluctant to do the punishment and reward thing.
    Where's zoebird when you need her? In lieu of her insightful posts, here's something she would probably link to. This is not the first time that this topic has cropped up on these forums, and I think that what you are looking for is known as Aha parenting.

It sounds great philosophically, and who knows? Maybe I would have done that if I'd know about it before I started parenting the way I did.

Our family doesn't spank, but we DO use punishment in the form of 'time out', so if your objection is to one person exerting power over another, sorry, I don't practice a model that you would want to follow
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I think what some people are trying to tell you is that the way you parent may be part if the problem. Saying that you want no other advice is like saying you want no advice. Please be open minded when reading the inputs here as there may be something that may work better for your kids.

*edit: And I don't mean beating them!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    I think what some people are trying to tell you is that the way you parent may be part if the problem. Saying that you want no other advice is like saying you want no advice. Please be open minded when reading the inputs here as there may be something that may work better for your kids.

*edit: And I don't mean beating them!
    She's not saying she wants no advice. She's saying she doesn't want to have an arguement with people who disagree with her approach.

Those are two quite different things.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    So to recap for anyone not interested in reading 5 pages...

the woman's kid is accused by his teacher of hitting other kids. The kid denies this except for one particular child that hits him first? Is that correct?
    Informing the situation is that the poster's child in question hits his own brother around the house when he is angered.

lol what if the teacher is just maliciously lying, and continues to do so even after you express your anger with words?

I imagine that you will pursue some form of violence against them (lawsuit, criminal prosecution, etc)
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast