Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-packaged Primal Snacks? page

chestnutbrown is offline Member

Pre-packaged Primal Snacks?

Hi

I'm just getting started with the Primal Blueprint and I'm finding the snack thing a bit difficult. Generally I've always kept boxes of some kind of bar around for quick snacks at my desk or when I don't have time to prepare anything but obviously they're not the best in terms of primal eating habits!

I am spending more time preparing Primal friendly foods for myself which is fine and I'm actually quite enjoying it. I've found loads of great recipes for all sorts of meals and snacks on this site and lots of others. But all these take time to get together and I do sometimes need something as an on the go snack that doesn't require lots of preparation.

I live in the UK where Primal is most definitely not out there in any big way yet. All the shops are still hooked on low fat, grain filled, sugary (or worse - artificial sweetener filled) foods.

So, my question is: can anyone recommend some easy to get hold of, not too expensive off the shelf Primal Snacks that I can just buy somewhere to keep for the times when I haven't prepared anything in advance?

Thanks!

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    macadamia nuts.
    Do you think you eat enough at each meal though? If you are hungry enough to snack, maybe you don't?

Nanci is offline Member
    Lara Bars??

kml
    kml is offline Junior Member
    Nakd bars, usually no more than three ingredients, dates, cashews, and raisins. Raw, no added anything. You can get them at Waitrose, H&B or order them even online. They are lovely in taste and texture

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    macadamia nuts.
    Do you think you eat enough at each meal though? If you are hungry enough to snack, maybe you don't?
    I seem to get hungry mid morning no matter how big or small my breakfast is. I thought it was just habit at first or that I wasn't drinking enough and have tried just having water or another cup of tea to stave off the pangs, but it does seem to be genuine, stomach rumbling hunger!

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
    Lara Bars??
    I've never heard of these - are they American? I guess I might be able to get hold of them on the internet......

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Canned fish is a good snack. I found tuna in olive oil with jalapeno's which I eat right out of the can.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

AyaPapaya is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutbrown View Post
    I've never heard of these - are they American? I guess I might be able to get hold of them on the internet......
    Larabars are great.
    LÄRABAR | LÄRABAR Products LÄRABAR
    "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."

"Nothing will work unless you do."

Quote Originally Posted by kml View Post
    Nakd bars, usually no more than three ingredients, dates, cashews, and raisins. Raw, no added anything. You can get them at Waitrose, H&B or order them even online. They are lovely in taste and texture
    I do eat Nakd bars - their my main non-homemade snack actually! I agree, they're delicious and seem to be pretty good in terms of the ingredients but I was worried that they were too high carb (18g carb per bar!).

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OP, I'd go with the fish also. Bars of any kind are too like cookies in taste. IOW, if your body is asking for a yummy sugary rush mid-morning rather than really being hungry, you'll know if you feed it fish.

The nuts are a little reminiscent of snack food also, but they're not processed. Try not to leave a can at your desk and measure out portions at home ahead of time.

itchy166, that sounds awesome. I took a can of sardines in oil and lemon, put it on top of a little white rice, topped the whole thing with some jalapenos and a tablespoon of parmesan, and it was one of the best "lazy" dinners ever.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast