Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats your take on the 80/20 from PB? page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Whats your take on the 80/20 from PB?

Shop Now
    I keep seeing people saying things like Oh ill drink booze as my 20% or ill have that cake etc.

The main thing I take from the PB is avoid poisons.
    Then for the 80/20 I take it more as, if you go out to a restaurant and the meal is cooked in some nasty oil, but its a good plate of meat and veg, you don't beat yourself up and just move on.
    So aim for 100% but if there are situations where you can't avoid something, don't worry about it so much.

How do you see it?
    Just curious, don't want to start a war

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    yeah that's exactly what i do, i don't plan for a regular cheat, but if sausage rolls are at the buffet (as per saturday night) i won't worry about it. etc...

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Hi Ayla, yes that's pretty much the way I see it too. And as a result I probably hit way higher than 80% overall. As they say, if you aim at nothing, you're sure to hit it. Or from the other angle, if you aim for the stars you may at least reach the moon.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I don't calculate out my 20%, as in after x healthy meals I get x number of cheats. It's just wiggle room for the non primal stuff like artificial sweeteners in my life.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    my 5% non primal is generally I go to a restaurant and I'm not sure what kind of oil is in my food. I eat most of my food at home, but that's not always practical.

I don't bring into my house any non primal foods (generally speaking). I have a birthday this week and hubster knows that I just wouldn't be interested in any cake --- or sweet treats --- I just wouldn't eat them. It's no big deal for me. I would much rather have a treat of high fat greek yogurt. I keep it simple and life is good ---- my waist is down to 26-1/2" and given I'm turning 49, I'm quite happy with that --- thank you Mark Sisson and Primal! /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    Ayla, I try to stay 100%, but I am not perfect and don't want to add in any more stress. My 20%, if that honestly, is for when we go out and there are things I can't avoid on the menu or at my non primal friend's place. In those situations I do the best that I can. If I were to plan my "20% cheat" it would end up more like 40% and I am not willing to feel that crappy and derail my progress.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

sarahelyse is offline Member
    I try to "save" my 20% for work related social functions. These functions (unfortunately) always involve eating food somewhere, and its easier to just bite the bullet and eat shitty than explain to everyone in my department (including my multiple bosses) why I'm not eating at this social gathering. They interpret it as being rude no matter how I explain it.

So, I save it for times of diplomacy at my job.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I see the 80/20 rule the same as you do. It is for those unavoidable events - eating out, social occasions, food gifts from friends etc - that are part of modern life and cannot be avoided. That said, I will drink the occasional beer or eat the rare baked good because, well, becuase I can. I don't call it a 'cheat' or 'my 20%' I call it a choice. I enjoy it and move on.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    thanks everyone, was just curious of everyones opinions and I was making sure I wasn't totally crazy

calee is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses here. I am only six weeks into Primal and I want to be better with my 20%. This thread has been helpful for me. Now to get my head in gear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast