Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc Anonymous Primal Journal page

MprDoc is offline Senior Member

Doc Anonymous Primal Journal

Shop Now
    So I have been off and on primal for a long while now and when I am not deployed I have a relatively easy time following it. However, I have recently been deployed with the USMC to Okinawa, Japan and I am forced to eat at the chow hall; NOT known for health menu options. Generally meals consist of about 2/3 carbs and split the last
    3rd between a less than desirable form of meat and overcooked nasty vegetables. In addition, they put desert coolers in three different locations and serve ice cream everynight if you want it, its like a highschool stoners dream come true, so I am doing this forum in order to try to keep myself honest. At home, I limit my access to junk food - meaning it does not exist in my house - but here I don't have that option. I am hoping that knowing I will post how I work out and what I eat everyday will help to keep me motivated and honest and stick to this lifestyle change. Before I post what I did today I am going to list what my physical goals are by the end of the year:

1 - Weigh 165 pounds by the second cycle of the PFA season; around October.
    2 - Max out push ups and crunches (84 push ups in 2 minutes, 101 crunches in 2 minutes) by October
    3 - Run a 10:30 1.5 miles by October
    4 - Reduce my overall body composition to below 15 percent by USMC standards
    5 - Quit all grain except for end of week beer that will count in my %20
    6 - Quit all dairy
    7 - Quit starchy carbs including tubers until body composition and weight goals are met
    8 - I would also like to participate in the Spartan Race on Oahu in August if it gets scheduled.

SO, today I ate the followin;

B: Scrambled eggs with mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, cheese and ham and one medium banana
    S: Small handful or raw almonds, small portion of beef jerky
    L: Salad: Okinawan spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, cucumber with white vinegar. Meat: Two slices of roast pork, veggie: simmered cabbage with onions
    D: 1.5 scoops of Syntha 6 weigh protein, two naval oranges and a small handful of almonds

I ordered egg protein to get rid of the whey, I also orders an egg cooker so I can hard boil my own eggs to have healthy protein/fat on hand and easily transportable. I will also be trying to phase out most my fruit intake for the time being to increase fat loss. I also drink black coffee throughout the day.

Workout:
    15 Diamond pushups
    15 shoulder with pushups
    15 wide arm pushups
    15 Spider walk push ups
    15 Dive bombers
    15 Plyo push ups
    7 sec down/up push ups
    -burn out push ups at the end
    *Repeated twice total with an end goal of being able to repeat EIGHT times. Reference; Bar Brothers | Be The Best You Can Be

In addition to the bodyweight calisthenics I will be doing I am also walking nearly two miles a day since I do not have a car here. I also plan on incorporating power lifting (Squats, deadlifts, bench press and military press) to my day to day routing twice a week.

Tomorrow morning I will post what my starting weight / military bodyfat level is. Keep in mind the military system is off by generally 4 percent in either direction. I will also look up the scores from my last PT test to use as a starting point for progress. I am eading Marks new book "The Primal Connection" and hoping I can apply some of the concepts to my generally hectic life. Thank you!

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Welcome to the Journal world. There is much encouragement, information and advice to be had here. I am going to guess from your nick that you are an 8404. I retired in 1999 as an 8402/8404. It's good to see a shipmate here. I will pop in periodically to see how things are going with you. Congrats on starting your blog, and good luck with your goals! Semper Fi!

Post two, keepin it real!

I weighed in at 202 at 5'4" this morning. Not the heaviest I have ever been but nearly 40 pounds - sounds like a ton when I say that - heavier than I would like to be. I also taped myself in the mirror as per Navy guidelines and ended up with a 38" waste and 17" neck which puts me about 3 percent over my maximum allowable bodyfat for my height in the Navy; the gauntlet is officially thrown. I also took pictures to chart my visual progress. In fairness, I have always been a relatively stocky person, my jacket size is typically a 46-48" chest, much bigger than the average short guy.

Enough about numbers:

Todays meals,

B: Scrambled eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, jalepeno's, bell peppers and ham (no cheese this time), two sausage links (I will drop this tomorrow), black coffee.
    L: DEEP FRIED shrimp (12) - only decent looking option at the chow hall, should have fasted or just had salad - collard greens, salad with spinach, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots.
    D: Chicken breast, wing and drummet (baked), more collard greens and the same salad as lunch but with bell pepper.

WOD:

Bar Brothers | Be The Best You Can Be
    Leg day
    15 bodyweight squats
    15 one legged squats
    30 (10 out, 10 straight, 10 in) calf raises
    60 second wall sit
    15 jump squats
    Max out air squats
    3 minutes power punching on 130-150 pound heavy bag
    *I repeated the above 3 times, took me about 45 minutes total including a 10 - 15 minute warm up.

Tired as hell now, between work, PT and reducing the carbs and the wicked indigestion from the nasty fried shrimp I am ready for a shower, some homework and bed. Feels good though. Tomorrow is Italian day, always a challenge to avoid pizza and massive plates of pasta or lasagna, its ok though, I will stick to meat balls and whatever vegetable they come up with, sometimes they have chicken.

SSN679! ALOHA SHIPMATE! One of my role models is actually a former Sub IDC who made it all the way to Senior chief and is now a PA with my unit! I am sure you can sympathize with the chow not always being the healthiest grub. Its ok though, I will make do with I have and press on! Thank you for the support!

Quote Originally Posted by MprDoc View Post
    SSN679! ALOHA SHIPMATE! One of my role models is actually a former Sub IDC who made it all the way to Senior chief and is now a PA with my unit! I am sure you can sympathize with the chow not always being the healthiest grub. Its ok though, I will make do with I have and press on! Thank you for the support!
    I'm glad to see you choose your role models well! lol.. I wonder if I know him.... It is a small community, after all. Yes, I can sympathize with the chow.... though it's better than MREs or C-rations... If you are going to eat high fat,, you won't have any problem hitting your fat intake target eating at the chow hall. When I was at Lejeune, we ate C-rats made in the late 60's.... in the early 80's! Yeah I get it with the chow!

Last name is Cornejo! Yea, today wasn't to bad, wasn't Italian day, it was white trash wednesday. . .

B: Scrambled eggs, with ham, cheese (even though I said no cheese), onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers, jalepeno. Two slices of ham or canadian bacon (not really sure) and a grapefruit
    L: Two knockwurst, sourkrout, sauted mushrooms and onions, salad - no dressing
    S: handful of raw almonds, small orange
    D: roast chicken thigh/leg, steamed cauliflower, salad, no dressing.

No workout today, taking the day off to finish up some homework, almost done with the term.

Oh yea, I ordered some Steves paleo kits today too. I have been lacking on anything appetizing and relatively health to snack on so I decided to fille that void with some of those kits plus I can use them to replace meals when the chow fails to provide a nutritious option.

Quote Originally Posted by MprDoc View Post
    Last name is Cornejo! Yea, today wasn't to bad, wasn't Italian day, it was white trash wednesday. . .

B: Scrambled eggs, with ham, cheese (even though I said no cheese), onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers, jalepeno. Two slices of ham or canadian bacon (not really sure) and a grapefruit
    L: Two knockwurst, sourkrout, sauted mushrooms and onions, salad - no dressing
    S: handful of raw almonds, small orange
    D: roast chicken thigh/leg, steamed cauliflower, salad, no dressing.

No workout today, taking the day off to finish up some homework, almost done with the term.
    No, the name isn't familiar, but I bet there are some people we know in common. A PA that was a bubblehead just retired from Pearl, last name Reynolds. I worked with him back in the early 90's.
    Good luck with the Paleo kits. Never have tried any of them, but I'm sure that they will make a good "meal replacer" when the chow hall has breaded-everything day, or pineapple upside down beans as the entre`.

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome, just thought I'd say that leg workout is brutal, gave it a go yesterday and three rounds was more than enough!

Cheers

Thanks Dave! Yea, its pretty tough, always interesting to see how dificult a workout can be using nothing but gravity and your own bodyweight. I am going to try the pull up day tomorrow AM, just need to get my ass out of bed in the AM.

Todays food:
    B: Scrambled eggs with all the same veggies as the other posts and ham but no cheese this time. Two slices of ham, one cup of honeydew melon and one grapefruit.
    L: 3 medium sized "strogonaf" meatballs in a sauce of unknown origin, spinach salad and less than a cup of cottage cheese.
    D: On "BBQ" chicken breast, small serving of cole slaw, and spinach salad

Nothing else really eventful. Had an epically stressful day and avoided typical stress eating habits and drinking beer so all in all not to bad. Still doing homework.

Posting early since plans are in motion.

B- typical egg scramble as befor, no cheese, two pieces of bacon, one grapefruit
    L - IF
    D - Will consist of awesome mongolian BBQ but minus the rice, noodles and any "hidden" sauce carbs. Will load up on meat, shrimp, cabbage and other veggies.

I will be having my last two Sam Adams Winter Lagers tonight as I unwind from the week; only beer left is 4 Orions, once the beer is gone I think I will quit and switch to red wine at the end of the week and keep it at less than a bottle a week which will be a drastic reduction in alcohol consumption and spending on booze. Planning on starting the morning with a good workout and maybe walking to get some sashimi at a place off base.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast