Thread: Pre-/Post-drinking food page

Livlytique is offline Senior Member

Pre-/Post-drinking food

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone

Been reading MDA for about a year now, this is my first post because I'm finally at a stage in my life where I feel ready to implement changes and go Primal yes!

My question today is: when you've got a big night planned (lots of vodka tonics to come), how do you line your stomach if you're not eating bread/pasta? And what do you eat when you get home?

I find it fairly easy to stick to Primal during the week, especially breakfast and lunches (been eating eggs and big ass salads for years), despite the huge amount of snack food in the office (advertising - they like to 'treat' you - that's a post for another day). But when the weekend comes, I find I always want a big bowl of tuna pesto pasta to prepare me for a night of dancing. I eat gluten free pasta most of the time (and only really eat pasta in these circumstances anyway), but I still feel I should be eating something a bit more Primal. I'm just not sure if anything absorbs alcohol as well as toast etc.

Now I know there will be people who just want to reply 'don't drink' etc etc but I'd really value your actual suggestions because, let's face it, I love going out and that's not going to stop.

Thanks!
    Liv

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I haven't experimented enough to be sure, but I know that I get drunk fast, and get major hangovers when I'm eating low carb. Maybe rice or potatoes would do the trick?

Livlytique is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I should probably have noted that I'm not a massive drinker generally, and therefore tend to be a lightweight! So perhaps this should be my 20%, when I know I'm going out. Problem is, eating non-Primal before I go out usually means the rest of the weekend is written off (I blame it on sleep deprivation too).
    It would be amazing to discover that one meal that sorts you out when you're drinking and won't have you reaching for the crisps/chips and hummus the next day!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You don't need to load up on carbs, I've found a nice fatty steak does the trick.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Alas, that is not the case for me.
    Although as I said I haven't experimented much with it, I could drink WAY more pre-primal that I could after.
    Maybe it's not all down to carbs, but I never drink without a solid meal in any case.

Recently, I cheated with a pizza before a night out, and I was feeling better than I usually would the next day, so I thought it might be the carbs.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Second on the rice and potatoes.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.