Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

What would you do?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I posted last week about losing weight too slow just due to pure impatience really. I did go to dr to get blood tests mainly for thyroid. He checked my sugar levels due to being so over weight and because my dad has diabetes.
    I hadn't had anything for 6 hours and what I'd had was a bp coffee and the level was over 9 (shoul be up to 7)

I had the blood tests he ordered the following morning fasted.

Insulin was 150 m/U/L (normal fasting is 0-10 mU/L)
    Glucose was 7.7 mmol/L (3 - 5.4 mmol/L)
    Thyroid tests were all in normal range.
    He says I have diabetes and wants me on metformin .

It's only been about 3 months of 100% primal after 12 years of various diets/bingeing. He seems to agree the damage was done from all the years of eating that way.
    He also suggested I keep eating low carb primal.

But I am not sure about taking metformin.

Would you?
    Is it likely after while longer eating primarily it will rectify without drugs?
    I only lost 4 kg in jan. plus I've always lost weight slowly no matter the method

Oh I asked him to repeat I insulin test as it seems crazy high but he doesn't think it's a mistake.
    Tomorrow am getting:

HbA1c
    fBE
    MBA
    HDL ( this should be interesting) damn why no LDL?
    Insulin level
    Urine albumin spot test
    NIDDM

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    What about taking the metformin for a while while you eat primally from now on and then once you are healthy you will be able to get off the drug. I don't like drugs at all but diabetes damages your eyes, kidneys, heart etc... Sorry Ayla at least you are on the right track now and know you HAVE to keep on this path to heath.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Oh I asked him to repeat I insulin test as it seems crazy high but he doesn't think it's a mistake.
    Tomorrow am getting:

HbA1c
    fBE
    MBA
    HDL ( this should be interesting) damn why no LDL?
    Insulin level
    Urine albumin spot test
    NIDDM
    Ayla - you may find this 4-part series interesting (especially part 3) -- Why I decided to lose weight (Part 1) The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Will read those links once I'm home.
    Will have to read about metformin too. Dr says digestive upsets are the only possible side affects but not sure on that

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    People go on metformin and then go back off it once their blood sugar is sorted out. Some people (most, actually) stay on it, but they're usually eating SAD. If you eat Primal, it's entirely possible to stop taking it once your levels are in check, and it'll help you get there.

Metformin is a pretty useful medication. However--and this is a big however--I don't know anything about the insulin and glucose numbers you get back from a blood test like you had (my experience is only in checking blood sugar with a glucometer and administering treatment accordingly). It could be that those numbers aren't actually "bad" enough to warrant medication, that your doctor is Rx-happy, etc. I really don't know. Other people on these boards will be able to speak to this with far greater knowledge.

But, going on the assumption that your numbers do actually warrant the metformin: If it were me, I'd go on it, keep eating low carb Primal, and see how things shake out in a few months. Just my personal opinion.

Timthetaco Guest
    I would take the Metformin. I don't know what a fasting insulin concentration of 15 times normal translates to in terms of A1C, exactly, but I'm going to assume that's sky high as well. I think any damn thing you can to do restore insulin sensitivity is a good thing, and that includes taking the drug.

seaweed is offline Senior Member

I have the book but haven't read it yet.
    I will go back for other tests tomorrow, he wants me to start metformin straight after and see him in a week.

It just shows the the damage years of bad eating can be. And how long it can take to fix it.

He didn't say which type.
    I now have a blood sugar monitor to check my own levels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast