Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you do? page 2

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    i know a few older men with type 2 and they pretty much control it by exercise. i dont know any details other than that.

Terry H is online now Senior Member
    Ok, you have Primal Blueprint in your toolbox now, along with a monitor, all good. Now adding medication is simply another tool at this point in time to combat diabetes, and if possible(and this is definitely feasible), eventually nip it in the bud through diet (and exercise) alone. By all means read the links folks have provided, but don't dally. Good luck and we hope to share with you your successes! The PB is a wonderful and effective weapon to fight with against metabolic issues such as this. Daily I reiterate to myself what my goals are: to eat with my health and longevity in view. I want my BG to be in this range-I will check my blood sugars diligently- I will not be just another statistic due to complications, etc. You can do this.
    Last edited by Terry H; 02-10-2013 at 08:24 PM.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I really like this site for blood sugar issues:
    Blood Sugar 101

I would be interested in actually seeing your thyroid results. I am living proof that being "in the normal range" doesn't mean optimally healthy.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Blood Sugar 101h

I would be interested in actually seeing your thyroid results. I am living proof that being "in the normal range" doesn't mean optimally healthy.
    Ill post them shortly.
    Are you taking anything for your thyroid

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Ill post them shortly.
    Are you taking anything for your thyroid
    Yes, for over 12 years now--generic Unithroid and Cytomel. For most of those years I was kept under treated and ill because of those damn "normal ranges".

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    If your fasting insulin is that high, it's Type 2, not Type 1. Type 1 is when the body attacks its own insulin-producing cells in the pancreas, rendering them unable to produce insulin anymore, and blood sugar can then rage out of control very easily. If there's that much insulin in your blood, your pancreas is obviously able to produce it. As far as I know (I could be wrong on this), Type 1 is genetic, not caused by diet. It can differ in presentation and age of onset, but it requires a lack of insulin production.

Type 2, OTOH, is when your body is, for whatever reason--most people, it's too much sugar ingestion--pumping so much insulin into the bloodstream that the cells become "accustomed" to it (insulin resistant, in other words) and stop trying to use it to put away sugar. So your blood has both too much sugar and too much insulin in it, and can use/store neither.

(Those are extremely simplified and generalized explanations of T1/T2 diabetes; but all I wanted to do was clarify that your diabetes is almost certainly Type 2.)

Type 2 can definitely be controlled with diet and lifestyle, whereas it's rare to be a Type 1 diabetic and not be on some kind of medication, usually injected insulin.
    Last edited by heatseeker; 02-10-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Blood Sugar 101

TSH (mIU/L) - May 2012 - 1.32 Feb 2013 - 1.36 (0.35-5.50)
    Free T4 (pmol/L) May 2012 - 15.7 Feb 2013 - 16.8 (9.0-25.0)
    Free T3 (pmol/L) May 2012 - 4.6 Feb 2013 - 5.8 (3.5-6.5)

My dad has type 2 diabetes, and is on Metformin. I just spoke to him, and he said his levels weren't staying down, and they want him on Insulin. He said he never lost weight on Metformin, but eats healthy. Of course his version of healthy is prob not quite the same as mine.But he does drink a lot of beer, so that probably has something to do with it. But don't diabetes get told to go quite low carb anyway? I think he said something about low carb.

Those numbers look pretty good. Your FT4 is at 49% of its range. Your FT3 is at 77%. Your FT3 is higher in percentage than your FT4, indicating good T4 to T3 conversion.

Many people feel best when their frees are at midpoint or better.

OK so that stuff is OK, just insulin and glucose not so much.
    I will go back for other tests tomorrow, then wait a week to see the Dr again like he said. But I will wait to take the metformin till I get the insulin levels back again. I am not convinced its right. Surely its too high to be right. I eat no sugar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12