Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canine Advise from a Holistic Veterinary page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

Question Canine Advise from a Holistic Veterinary

Shop Now
    How long does it take for your body to become primal? How long does it take to be healthy, or to be cured? There's never an answer to these questions and it's different for everyone, but there must be a minimum for a healthy, young person.

So: my daughter-in-law loves her two Welsh Terriers (Marley and Rudy) very much. Marley got a skin rash all over his body and was taken to the vet who prescribed pills. This went on for several months and several pills while Marley's skin got redder and more swollen and more itchy, until it was bright red and Marley was tearing at it with his teeth, making it raw and bleeding. A groomer recommened Holistic Vet, to whom Marley was taken.

Amazing. The Holistic Vet. put Marley on PB, but with raw meat and fish and our same vegies. This dog food comes freeze-dried and pre-packaged by some other company. They also have raw liver treats. After only 3 days Marley's skin can be seen to be a little better.

The answer to our questions for Marley is 6 months to be completely cured and well. Marley is very small. How long do you suppose it would take an adult human?

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Could be even longer depending on the damage done and how long the problem has been there. Have a dog story too but will post when not on phone.
    Yay for your dog. Did vaccines come into it with the holistic vet?

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    It depends because diet is only part of the solution. There's also play and sleep to consider.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Could be even longer depending on the damage done and how long the problem has been there. Have a dog story too but will post when not on phone.
    Yay for your dog. Did vaccines come into it with the holistic vet?
    No vaccines, although this vet said most all vaccines are useless. Remember I said minimum time. Marley may be healther than we are.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    It depends because diet is only part of the solution. There's also play and sleep to consider.
    These dogs sleep very well, much better than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    No vaccines, although this vet said most all vaccines are useless. Remember I said minimum time. Marley may be healther than we are.
    They are

did you say he was only 6 months old? Or it took 6 months?

My dog had 7 years of steroids for bad skin, commercial dry food, and dog roll, yearly vaccines, monthly flea treatments etc.
    Then 4 years ago I found a small tumor on his ear, and looked into natural ways to treat him. I found Holistic Animal Medicines, who treat herbally and homoeopathically.

I used black salve, along with some other remedies to treat him, as well as changed him to a raw diet, and stopped all chemicals for him.
    Last year I went back to dry food, grain free, but still, then another tumor popped up on his anus this time, treated it the same way, but recently 2 more came up, so again treated them the same way. But I think because he was unhealthy for so long the damage was already done for him, so now Ill just treat them if they come up again. He is still his normal happy self so will take each day as it comes. He is 11 now.
    It just shows what damage these foods and other things can do.

Oh and he is of course back to raw food.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Maybe a food allergy?
    My parents' poor little puppy developed one of those when he was about 6 months old. He would scratch and gnaw himself until he developed bald patches. They had to give him a shocking amount of Benadryl (from a human POV at least) to keep it under control and that'd only last about 4 hours. Eventually, though they figured out that it was his food, and apparently he's allergic to poultry...especially chicken. Finding a poultry free dog food was difficult, so they had to look around online.
    He's 3 now and doing great. His hair grew back, and last year they also got him a little sister. When I was home for Christmas they had 3 bowls of food around the house two that were fish based and one with yam and rabbit, incidentally all are very low in grains if not absent. The dogs seem to vary which they eat from, and just eat as they are hungry. Something that according to vets is a guarantee of an obese pet.

When I adopted my cat, the colleague I adopted her from was feeding her a mainstream brand cat food that's first ingredient was cornmeal. I bought 1 small bag of it to let her have something familiar while she adjusted to a new home, but as soon as it was gone I switched her to a grain free cat food. Since she was once a stray she does tend to scarf any food I give her so I can't free feed her, but otherwise she's fine. At her fist appointment the vet raved about how healthy she was, and she is much more energetic than my roommate's obese cat...sometimes to my annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    How long does it take for your body to become primal? How long does it take to be healthy, or to be cured?
    I wish I knew the answer to this, after being diagnosed diabetic this morning. 3 months 100% primal, as well as 6 months 2011-2012. But it doesn't appear to be long enough to undo the damage of 12 years of bingeing on crappy food, then every diet under the sun.
    So I guess the moral here is to start your children/pets eating primally as young as possible to prevent them from having health issues when they are older.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast