Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canine Advise from a Holistic Veterinary page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    How long does it take for your body to become primal?
    Errrrt..... illogical. Your body is and always has been primal. Its the environmental stresses that are incongruent with this innate state that predisposes you to dis-ease and poor health.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I think it is going to be easier for the dogs, because if the owner is vigilant the dog won't get any off plan food at all. Harder when you make the choices for yourself and get tempted by stuff you aren't supposed to have My dogs are fed home cooked, meat veg. good fats and no grains. On kibble they were more crabby, itchy and sick. They do see a holistic vet, and only had the initial puppy vaccinations. Have been titered and show sufficient immunity so no more vaccines for them.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    My parents' 30-40lb mutt (dachshund and lab, from what we can tell) suddenly started getting rashes all the time. I told my parents to try her on a grain-free food and she started to improve. They switched her to grain-free canned & grain-free kibble (as opposed to all kibble, with grains), and she's doing much better. No more infections or rashes. She seems to have more energy too, and has slimmed down to a healthy weight, which is great considering it is winter and she's not outside as much. It only took her a couple of weeks for the skin response to clear up entirely.

Dogs are (generally) smaller and I think have simpler digestive systems than we do, being carnivores, not omnivores. I feel like that would make it much easier to get them to adjust to a biologically appropriate diet.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Jesster is offline Member
    No vaccines, although this vet said most all vaccines are useless.
    This. Is this correct? And if so, could you please explain?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Dogs are (generally) smaller and I think have simpler digestive systems than we do, being carnivores, not omnivores. I feel like that would make it much easier to get them to adjust to a biologically appropriate diet.
    I didn't know they had simpler digestive systems. I was thinking of 2 other ways to compare: 1) body weight. Marley weighs about 15 libs, maybe 20. So 6 months for her weight would be 3.7 years for me. 2) Life span. Humans are about 7 - 1 dogs. So 6 months for Marley would be 3.5 years for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesster View Post
    This. Is this correct? And if so, could you please explain?
    The holistic vet just said they were ineffective. A rabies shot, for example, had been shown to be effective only for 1 day. I don't know any more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Errrrt..... illogical. Your body is and always has been primal. Its the environmental stresses that are incongruent with this innate state that predisposes you to dis-ease and poor health.
    Yes, point made. Let me re-word the question to How long does it take to become a solid fat-burner? Or How long does it take to clear up all the damage I've done from eating CW (assuming that can be done and that I'll live that long)?
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 02-12-2013 at 12:45 PM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Life span & size comparison is probably pretty accurate. I have read that on a GAPS protocol to heal gut problems, it takes several years to really heal. And that's if you're 100% strict/compliant! This is why I worry when people try to rush the weight-loss process when they run into stalls. Something must be healing. Maybe it's best not to stress the body by messing around with new protocols at that time.

I don't know that dogs have simpler digestive systems, I just think they do because they are built to process fat & protein, and that's basically it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

peril is offline Senior Member
    How long does it take for your body to become primal? How long does it take to be healthy, or to be cured? There's never an answer to these questions and it's different for everyone, but there must be a minimum for a healthy, young person.
    All I know is that I'm over three years into this way of life and still seeing improvement. Recently lost some residual abdominal fat. Wish I could see what I'm doing to my arteries
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Life span & size comparison is probably pretty accurate. I have read that on a GAPS protocol to heal gut problems, it takes several years to really heal. And that's if you're 100% strict/compliant! This is why I worry when people try to rush the weight-loss process when they run into stalls. Something must be healing. Maybe it's best not to stress the body by messing around with new protocols at that time.

I don't know that dogs have simpler digestive systems, I just think they do because they are built to process fat & protein, and that's basically it.
    I agree that it probably does take at least this long, but that is rather discouraging, and as that is a minimum just for eating CW, and I have been worse than that, it will probably take the rest of my life.

On the other hand, I feel good now, already. And that's really what my first goal was.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast