Thread: Section from PB struck a chord page

s-piper is offline Senior Member

Section from PB struck a chord

Shop Now
    I'm a newbie and am reading The Primal Blue print right now, and the section about Chronic Cardio really struck me.

Now, I should say, not a lot of it was new information. There was a lot of things in there that might not be widely known among the public, but are widely known among scientists (I'm a doctoral student). Such as that neurotrasmitters to relieve pain and boost wellbeing in response to the stress are what cause the exercise high.
    However, I, and apparently most everyone in my field, never made it to the realization of: "That's not a good thing, genius!"
    The professionals and experts aren't immune to conventional wisdom, and, I'm sad to say, I'm starting to see the ways we bend our hypotheses to it. After all, there's papers showing that people who work out 20-30 minutes a day lose little fat, that very active people weigh less and have lower body fat, that raising your heart rate to 80-85 of maximum burns more calories, etc, etc.
    Yes, there are conflicting findings, but there always are. On almost any topic. Science is fact based, but it isn't necessarily cut and dry, x is right and y is wrong.

However, in thinking about it one thing that I remember happening to me as a teen. I'd get motivated to exercise and I'd keep it up. Exercising 4-5 days a week, but after about 3-4 weeks I'd get sick. Nothing serious, just a cold. At first I'd try to power through, but I'd feel so fatigued I'd stop exercising until I recovered...then start all over again.
    Now, I have problems with achillies tendonitis and chondromalacia patella (at the ripe old age of 26!), so instead I end up having to stop when I get injured after 3-4 days.
    I've spent years not listening to my body without even realizing it because I thought I knew what to do. I thought that the exercise high I'd get, and pleasant muscle soreness the next day was my body telling me it was happy when in fact it was my brain medicating me into happiness, and ignoring it when I consistently got sick after exercising for the prescibed 60+ minutes a day, 3-5 days a week, consistently.

It's weird and unnerving. I feel almost like a near sighted person getting glasses and finally seeing the world that was in front of their face this whole time!
    Last edited by s-piper; 02-10-2013 at 05:11 PM.