Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is cheese on your Primal plate? page 2

KrisGunnars is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes, I eat cheese, but I try to include it with recipes only.

If I start snacking on raw cheese then I tend to overeat.
    My site: Authority Nutrition - My Twitter: @AuthNutrition

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    It is and it isn't.

DS has any dairy he wants. He usually gets raw yogurt and organic cheddar cheese. DH and I consume butter, but everything else is "special occasion."

At our winter celebration (in June), we get some fancy cheese and eat it. We love good cheese. And then we have gelato every now and again (more in summer -- so now -- than the rest of the year).

Otherwise, we only use butter regularly (daily, really), but all other dairy is off the menu. DH is working through some gut issues, and I'm a bit lactose intolerant. Besides that, it's ridiculously expensive here in NZ. And by that I mean insanely expensive for cheese.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    I went dairy-free for a short while to test for intolerance. Apart from homogenized milk, everything else was fine. I'd suggest doing the same for at least a week, just in case.

If you're tolerant: Just make sure your cheese lists a maximum of three ingredients: milk, maybe salt, maybe live bacteria/fungus. If it lists none at all there's a good chance it's 100% milk. Most orange-coloured ones are dyed, so skip them. Avoid "American cheese", "cheese product" or "cheese slices", as they're more processed forms of dairy.
    Also bear in mind that many cheeses are kept in ways to speed up the formation of curds and general solidification, meaning a factory can make a 6 month cheese in 3 months. These processes may or may not leave residue on the cheese, as they vary from warmer rooms to chemical additives.

Basically: if the ingredients list says "Milk.", go ahead and eat some.
    Last edited by Kochin; 02-11-2013 at 03:31 AM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I love cheese! My main ones are brie, cheddar, emmenthaler and mozarella.
    When I buy one, I usually eat it quite fast, but then it'll usually be a while before I buy again.

calee is offline Senior Member
    I love cheese. The only cheese in my house is Kerrygold. I get it by the block at Costco and it keeps quite well. Because I'm trying to shed a few pounds, I measure it out an ounce or two and stick to that. I like it in a salad for my protein.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Cheese is wonderful. I use a couple of tablespoons of grated parmesan to liven up some dishes. I also like goat cheese and lox wrapped in nori. To curb my tendencies to eat it in large quantities, I try to stick with small portions of pricier cheeses.

So, yes, it's on my plate.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I fear I have a problem with cheese, I buy organic string cheese for my kid's lunches and end up eating half of it myself. :x We may have to have a cheese-free month soon, once the organic raw milk sharp cheddar I stockpiled from Aldi runs out...

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    I eat real cheeses (artisanal, mostly raw milk cheeses). But in very small quantities.

I also eat yogurt I make myself from whole organic milk I source locally.

I eat sour cream (creme fraiche, really) made from local organic cream and buttermilk, and use a dab of it here and there.

I don't drink milk.

Pea

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Every time I eat cheese, I get sucked into the cheese-chocolate-coffee vortex that I have to painfully force myself out of. I give up on it

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We eat cheese, mostly raw artisan, only strong flavored no mild stuff for us. I don't usually snack on it but will use it in a dish. I did the whole30 w/o dairy and didn't seem to notice any difference. We also make our own sour cream which is divine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast