Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Falling off the wagon? page

the_walrus0 is offline Member

Falling off the wagon?

Primal Fuel
    I am absolutely not viewing this new way of eating as a 'diet', though sometimes I use the word diet to refer to the things I eat consistently, I don't intend to go back to 'normal eating' because this is my new normal eating.

What isn't normal is eating half a family sized bag of doritos with cheese dip, half a carton of ice cream, half a box of assorted chocolates and half a pizza. That, my friends, is a binge.

I fully believe kicking sugar and grains is going to give me the ability to beat these binges but I also believe I'm going to have to be grain and sugar free for at least 30 days before I can break that cycle so that sugar will no longer have that hold over me.

So, I fell off the wagon for about two days but I'm back! I baked my first whole chicken ever! I pussied out and couldn't eat the liver. I wanted to give it a shot but I was proud of myself for even buying a whole chicken in the first place. I coated it with olive oil and it turned out just great. I also have some soup that is more veggies than broth that I'd excited to eat over the next week, which also has some chicken in it.

I'm setting a goal to be basically 100% primal for 30 days while I tackle this cycle of eating well and then binging.

Does anyone here have BED? How have you use the primal blueprint to finally gain control?

KrisGunnars is offline Junior Member
    Yes, I have binge eating disorder although I choose to call it food addiction because it is practically the same.

The only thing that worked for me was complete abstinence from sugar, gluten and any refined high-reward junk foods. I haven't touched these foods in over 5 months now and I never crave them anymore.

If you are a binge eater but manage to eat clean for 30 days, then decide to "cheat" then chances are that you will fall of the wagon again. That's how it was for me anyway.
    My site: Authority Nutrition - My Twitter: @AuthNutrition

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I believe I can now say I USED to have BED. For over 12 years. When I first tried PB 2011-2012 I still binged sometimes, but not as often as normal. Then some stuff happened and really I spent 6 months bingeing. Tried PB again Oct 2012, and binges became less frequent. Once I increased my fats, and lowered carbs even more. The urge to binge just was not there.
    I have not binged at all for a few months now. So for me, more fats, less carbs was the answer. It might work for you, it might not.
    I don't have cheats because it just doesn't work for me. 100% primal all the way. I really even "paleofy" foods, as it can be the danger zone for me and over eating.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Ayla2010; 02-10-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Willpower might help. Check out this;Exercise: it does a body good! Weight Maven

Its not as simple as will power.

KrisGunnars is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Its not as simple as will power.
    Agreed.
    My site: Authority Nutrition - My Twitter: @AuthNutrition

Thank you guys for responding.

I've been fighting BED since age 13, but I didn't really know what it was I was fighting until about 6 months ago. I really thought it was as simple as willpower and that I was somehow broke and insatiable, doomed to be fat forever. People kept telling me I just needed to stay on track and find motivation, but it wasn't until recently speaking to some folks who've gotten controlled of their BED that I realized most, if not all of them, had told me they'd cut out, or severely reduce, their intake of sugar and bread/pasta items.

I suppose I had convinced myself it'd be easier than it really is to give up sugar completely.

I'm going to have to push through though. There's no two ways about it. I think it was the 80% idea that got me to eat the first piece of chocolate and then it just went downhill. Well it's 100% from here on out.

Thanks you guys! I needed a reminder that I'm not a complete screw-up.

You are not
    You will get there eventually.

Doesn't mean you can't have dark choc forever

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    You are not
    You will get there eventually.

Doesn't mean you can't have dark choc forever
    I'm actually starting to like the unsweetened bakers chocolate. I didn't hate it at first, but of course it was missing that little kick that refined sugar brings to sweetened dark chocolate, even if it's just a little bit. But after a few nibbles I realized I really get my chocolate fix with a few tiny bites of unsweetened bakers chocolate, where I could eat half a bar of 85% and still wish I could have the whole thing.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    It's not really a wagon. It's more like a path. In the woods. Sometimes you wander off deliberately and sometimes accidentally. But you don't ever have to lose sight of the path if you don't choose to. You can wander back. And only the bears and squirrels will know you've been bad, lol. If your body has been accustomed to SAD eating, it might not even know. After 6 months to a year of keeping pretty close to the path, you'll feel amazing. Just keep your eye on the path.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast