Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Falling off the wagon? page 2

MaryIM is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been seeing a Nutritionist and he's advising me to eat whole, healthy, natural foods (no grains, dairy, alcohol, sugar). I used to have horrible sugar cravings in the evening, but after giving up sugar 100%, my cravings ended after about 4 days. I think of sugar as poison (for me). I've been completely Primal for 26 days and continue to be amazed and happy to have NO sugar cravings!
    I practice yoga (am a yogini) and am also a follower of Grok ... so my journal is Grokini Mary

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66249.html

Betty_Groker is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    It's not really a wagon. It's more like a path. In the woods. Sometimes you wander off deliberately and sometimes accidentally. But you don't ever have to lose sight of the path if you don't choose to. You can wander back. And only the bears and squirrels will know you've been bad, lol. If your body has been accustomed to SAD eating, it might not even know. After 6 months to a year of keeping pretty close to the path, you'll feel amazing. Just keep your eye on the path.
    Thank you for this, it's been one of the most uplifting things I've read in a while. I struggle with thinking it has to be all or nothing, on the wagon or off, no middle ground. Then the moment I "fall off the wagon" I'm done and lost in the forest. Remembering that the path is always there will help I think. Sometimes walking, sometimes running, but always in the right direction.

the_walrus0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by braidyrigby View Post
    Sometimes the fall is a big and dramatic one. You go to a holiday dinner and eat anything and everything you see. You have an upsetting incident and comfort yourself with a binge.
    Yeah. The biggest reason I worry about 'falling off the wagon' so much right now is because I believe I'm going to have to abstain from sugar and grains for a good while to start figuring out my true hunger signals and conquer cravings. If I 'fall off' every five days or so I'm not really going to be getting anywhere.

I did do very well yesterday. I had a 'smoothie' thing, which for me is some berries, full fat greek yogurt, kefir, shredded coconut and macadamia nuts. I would start more days out with eggs but with work I don't always have time. I mix my smoothie in about five minutes and just take it to work.

Anyways, then I had chicken for lunch and soup for dinner. The soup had cabbage, chicken breast, celery, sweet potato and carrots.

Then when I was getting those cravings to just eat whatever I nibbled on dark chocolate and drank some tea. Before I knew it I wasn't even thinking about binging.

A couple things are different now though. I just ended TOM and have gotten off the Nuvaring. I think the Nuvaring hasn't been a big help in stopping my binges.

In all, I did good yesterday and ultimately didn't binge and, miraculously, didn't overeat past maintenance. Unfortunately I still didn't eat enough to lose but I'm really concerned with stopped my binges and not gaining. I figure once I am not in control of cravings I will be able to finally start losing.

Beana534 is offline Junior Member
    Hi all!

I am just coming off of a 40 day Whole30 very strict paleo in hopes of kicking a very bad sugar/binge/food/overheating/ whatever you want to call it. I had removed all processed sugars but still had things like dates, nut butters and Lara bars when the nightly sweet tooth rolled in. Needless to say, my cravings were so bad a few days ago that I have been literally obsessing about food and wanting to eat eat and eat. For all of you that have gotten this under control, did you remove everything with sugar even fruit, dates, etc? Grains for me are a little easier than the sugar. What did you do when the unbearable mind obsessed?

I know this was not my original post so sorry to throw my questions out there ! I was just reading and it happened to be a place where all of you have much experience.

Thanks!

I wanted to let you guys know that I've been 100% primal for 2 days! Before now I was probably only 95% as I was eating quite a lot of dark chocolate that had sugar in it.

That was probably not the best for someone with a sugar addiction and BED. I feel 100 times better now that I'm fully primal.

I'll be grocery shopping again on Friday so this time nothing sweeter than unsweetened dark chocolate for me! I've also started adding a tablespoon of coconut oil to my coffee to add some fats to my morning and I think I'm going to eat less fruit than I have been and spend the fruit money on avocado instead.

I'm learning! I'll tell you guys something, I'm not a fan of calculating macro-nutrients. I'm sure it's beneficial and I might cave one day and give it a try but my goal when I chose to go primal was to just listen to my body and adjust accordingly. More fats seem to be the way to go.

But we won't know for sure until I've kicked the binging in the butt for a long while. Maybe someday I can be a success story. Right now I just need to get my diet under control, and start adding in some exercise.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    2 days is a start One day at a time.
    Def tracking and calculating macros can make it worse for someone with a BED.
    Learning to listen to my body was the best thing I ever did to stop my bingeing. And yep more fats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    2 days is a start One day at a time.
    Def tracking and calculating macros can make it worse for someone with a BED.
    Learning to listen to my body was the best thing I ever did to stop my bingeing. And yep more fats.
    I've already formulated a shopping list that I think is really going to work out better than the last time. I mean, last time I was really just winging it. There are a couple things I forgot and some things I got this time that I didn't like.

But I'll tell you what, I just had lunch and my stomach is too full!

That rarely happens.

And I've only eaten maybe 1200 calories. I'm not intentionally counting, but trying to keep tabs on anything thats causing tons of calories.

I noticed I almost had enough meat to last the whole two weeks, but will have to pick up something to tide me over for two more days. I'm trying to make use of my oils over the next four weeks. I want to follow Mark's suggestion of using them before 6 weeks.

I also should've bought less fruit and more avocado. Avocado goes well with almost anything and is fatty.

Like I said, I'm learning. I think over the next two weeks I'm going to really find my groove. Let's just hope I can beat this BED.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12