Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Good and Affordable Grass-Fed Jerky?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Detroit/Boston
    Posts
    62

    Good and Affordable Grass-Fed Jerky?

    Hi, I have been using Steve's Original Paleokits for a while. it is super difficult to find enough meat on campus. Grass fed jerky makes it easy for me to have easy quick meals after I workout and I also enjoy the fact that it is shelf-stable and long lasting.

    The issue is that I don't like spending so much money on jerky. If I could, i would make my own. Sadly, I don't have the time or the resources to start such an endeavor.

    I have found some other sites that have jerky. I looked at US Wellness, Primalpacs, Grassfedjerkychews.com, and various others. I am not sure which are more affordable over all, while still being good. I kind of was disappointed that US. Wellness only ships packages that are $75 dollars and I would rather not spend that much just to try them

    When it comes to jerky, I prefer it to be grass-fed, gluten free, low carb, no added sugars and also readily available. That was my second concern with US Wellness because I don't know how much I would like having to freeze and thaw this jerky. I may be misguided but the work seems too tedious for my snack on the go.

    I just want to know where I can order the best price of jerky. I love the Paleokits, but it has gotten to expensive.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,208
    Eh, you sound like someone who couldn't give up wheat because it's 'too hard'.

    Make your own. It takes less than 15 minutes to make a batch of jerky, over the course of 24 hours or so.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-10-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12
    you can make jerky that far surpasses any commercial product, because health codes require that jerky for sale be prepared at temperatures far too high for optimum flavor and nutrition. i bought a cheap dehydrator and dry mine at 105 F. i use fattier meat than most sources recommend; flank steak is my favorite. sometimes i season it heartily, sometimes just salt, sometimes just meat strips. i have come to prefer the last. i also slice it thick, maybe 1/4''. it takes about 15 minutes to slice 2-3 lbs of flank, sirloin, or london broil, season it, throw it in the dehydrator, and clean up. 8 hours later, tasty rare meat; 24-48 hours later, a generous supply of kickass jerky. it takes less time to make your own than to read the ingredient list of the dried out crap at the store.

    i rarely buy grassed, so i balance my o6/o3 with fish oil. i have also made salmon, elk, and venison jerky. i have made pemmican, but it was a PITA, so now i eat my jerky with grassfed butter. there are all kinds of recipes online to get started. you will soon get a feel for it. fast, easy, cheap, flavorful, chewy jerky made by someone who cares about you!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Detroit/Boston
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post
    you can make jerky that far surpasses any commercial product, because health codes require that jerky for sale be prepared at temperatures far too high for optimum flavor and nutrition. i bought a cheap dehydrator and dry mine at 105 F. i use fattier meat than most sources recommend; flank steak is my favorite. sometimes i season it heartily, sometimes just salt, sometimes just meat strips. i have come to prefer the last. i also slice it thick, maybe 1/4''. it takes about 15 minutes to slice 2-3 lbs of flank, sirloin, or london broil, season it, throw it in the dehydrator, and clean up. 8 hours later, tasty rare meat; 24-48 hours later, a generous supply of kickass jerky. it takes less time to make your own than to read the ingredient list of the dried out crap at the store.

    i rarely buy grassed, so i balance my o6/o3 with fish oil. i have also made salmon, elk, and venison jerky. i have made pemmican, but it was a PITA, so now i eat my jerky with grassfed butter. there are all kinds of recipes online to get started. you will soon get a feel for it. fast, easy, cheap, flavorful, chewy jerky made by someone who cares about you!

    Personally I think that grass-fed is more important to me and I will have to find a way to get that. Where did you buy this dehydrator, do you mind linking me this product. I have no idea what one looks like or how much upkeep does it take.

    Does it take up a lot of space and need a lot of cleaning after use? Also since you slice 2-3 lbs, does it do that much in one time? If so do you keep the extra in the freezer or is it shelf stable.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    suburbia
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by drnemer View Post
    Personally I think that grass-fed is more important to me
    Why? Jerky is a very lean meat, specifically because the fat is what goes rancid and makes it go bad so jerky shouldn't have much if any fat at all. Since you are cutting the fat out, the difference between grass-fed and grain-fed jerky should be minimal.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Detroit/Boston
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    Why? Jerky is a very lean meat, specifically because the fat is what goes rancid and makes it go bad so jerky shouldn't have much if any fat at all. Since you are cutting the fat out, the difference between grass-fed and grain-fed jerky should be minimal.
    Well I am just worried about how most of the food served in my college is cooked in vegetable oil and has traces of soy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Detroit/Boston
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Eh, you sound like someone who couldn't give up wheat because it's 'too hard'.

    Make your own. It takes less than 15 minutes to make a batch of jerky, over the course of 24 hours or so.
    If you can tell me how one can make jersey from the confines of a dorm room, I be happy to hear it. I don't know much. But I think I would have to buy a bunch of kitchenware as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lawrence,Ma
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by drnemer View Post
    If you can tell me how one can make jersey from the confines of a dorm room, I be happy to hear it. I don't know much. But I think I would have to buy a bunch of kitchenware as well.
    Practice your Google-fu, look for "box fan jerky"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    23
    Speaking of, Alton Brown has a good episode of good eats that covers this. All you need is a box fan and some air conditioner filters.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by drnemer View Post
    If you can tell me how one can make jersey from the confines of a dorm room, I be happy to hear it. I don't know much. But I think I would have to buy a bunch of kitchenware as well.
    Instructions for a home made dehydrator
    http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/wp-conte...structions.pdf

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •