Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good and Affordable Grass-Fed Jerky? page

drnemer is offline Member

Good and Affordable Grass-Fed Jerky?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi, I have been using Steve's Original Paleokits for a while. it is super difficult to find enough meat on campus. Grass fed jerky makes it easy for me to have easy quick meals after I workout and I also enjoy the fact that it is shelf-stable and long lasting.

The issue is that I don't like spending so much money on jerky. If I could, i would make my own. Sadly, I don't have the time or the resources to start such an endeavor.

I have found some other sites that have jerky. I looked at US Wellness, Primalpacs, Grassfedjerkychews.com, and various others. I am not sure which are more affordable over all, while still being good. I kind of was disappointed that US. Wellness only ships packages that are $75 dollars and I would rather not spend that much just to try them

When it comes to jerky, I prefer it to be grass-fed, gluten free, low carb, no added sugars and also readily available. That was my second concern with US Wellness because I don't know how much I would like having to freeze and thaw this jerky. I may be misguided but the work seems too tedious for my snack on the go.

I just want to know where I can order the best price of jerky. I love the Paleokits, but it has gotten to expensive.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Eh, you sound like someone who couldn't give up wheat because it's 'too hard'.

Make your own. It takes less than 15 minutes to make a batch of jerky, over the course of 24 hours or so.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-10-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

cavedog is offline Junior Member
    you can make jerky that far surpasses any commercial product, because health codes require that jerky for sale be prepared at temperatures far too high for optimum flavor and nutrition. i bought a cheap dehydrator and dry mine at 105 F. i use fattier meat than most sources recommend; flank steak is my favorite. sometimes i season it heartily, sometimes just salt, sometimes just meat strips. i have come to prefer the last. i also slice it thick, maybe 1/4''. it takes about 15 minutes to slice 2-3 lbs of flank, sirloin, or london broil, season it, throw it in the dehydrator, and clean up. 8 hours later, tasty rare meat; 24-48 hours later, a generous supply of kickass jerky. it takes less time to make your own than to read the ingredient list of the dried out crap at the store.

i rarely buy grassed, so i balance my o6/o3 with fish oil. i have also made salmon, elk, and venison jerky. i have made pemmican, but it was a PITA, so now i eat my jerky with grassfed butter. there are all kinds of recipes online to get started. you will soon get a feel for it. fast, easy, cheap, flavorful, chewy jerky made by someone who cares about you!

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post

Make your own. It takes less than 15 minutes to make a batch of jerky, over the course of 24 hours or so.
    If you can tell me how one can make jersey from the confines of a dorm room, I be happy to hear it. I don't know much. But I think I would have to buy a bunch of kitchenware as well.

Quote Originally Posted by cavedog View Post
    you can make jerky that far surpasses any commercial product, because health codes require that jerky for sale be prepared at temperatures far too high for optimum flavor and nutrition. i bought a cheap dehydrator and dry mine at 105 F. i use fattier meat than most sources recommend; flank steak is my favorite. sometimes i season it heartily, sometimes just salt, sometimes just meat strips. i have come to prefer the last. i also slice it thick, maybe 1/4''. it takes about 15 minutes to slice 2-3 lbs of flank, sirloin, or london broil, season it, throw it in the dehydrator, and clean up. 8 hours later, tasty rare meat; 24-48 hours later, a generous supply of kickass jerky. it takes less time to make your own than to read the ingredient list of the dried out crap at the store.

i rarely buy grassed, so i balance my o6/o3 with fish oil. i have also made salmon, elk, and venison jerky. i have made pemmican, but it was a PITA, so now i eat my jerky with grassfed butter. there are all kinds of recipes online to get started. you will soon get a feel for it. fast, easy, cheap, flavorful, chewy jerky made by someone who cares about you!

Personally I think that grass-fed is more important to me and I will have to find a way to get that. Where did you buy this dehydrator, do you mind linking me this product. I have no idea what one looks like or how much upkeep does it take.

Does it take up a lot of space and need a lot of cleaning after use? Also since you slice 2-3 lbs, does it do that much in one time? If so do you keep the extra in the freezer or is it shelf stable.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drnemer View Post
    If you can tell me how one can make jersey from the confines of a dorm room, I be happy to hear it. I don't know much. But I think I would have to buy a bunch of kitchenware as well.
    Practice your Google-fu, look for "box fan jerky"

Smartass99 is offline Junior Member
    You know Merl, you don't have to be condescending about it. He asked for an alternative to making it.

I'm just speaking because I see a lot of people eating primal or paleo with an elitist attitute. You don't know his situation... He could be going to med school, he could be barely staying away from the soup kitchen, or he could just be lazy.

I agree with making your own, but I don't see where the whole "couldn't give up wheat because it's 'too hard' comment was at all necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post

Speaking of, Alton Brown has a good episode of good eats that covers this. All you need is a box fan and some air conditioner filters.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drnemer View Post
    Instructions for a home made dehydrator
    http://www.rawpaleodiet.com/wp-conte...structions.pdf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast