Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scientist Wife Not Buying It page 2

Sandman is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Sometimes a lighthouse just needs to shine.

She might worry less about the evidence when she sees your transformation firsthand.
    My blog: Regular Guy Paleo and please feel free to "like" my Facebook page.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by investorsrealtor View Post
    Can anyone site specific scientific studies to support this lifestyle?
    The largest study/observation of tribes not heavily influenced by modern diets, and observation of their excellent health. This guy studied South Americans, Swiss villages, tribes at the poles, Africans, etc. Not some small/myopic study. There's not much to debate yet somehow people keep debating!

Principles of Healthy Diets - Weston A Price Foundation

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    The largest study/observation of tribes not heavily influenced by modern diets, and observation of their excellent health. This guy studied South Americans, Swiss villages, tribes at the poles, Africans, etc. Not some small/myopic study. There's not much to debate yet somehow people keep debating!
    because there is money to be made from industrial / factory foods.

Rosencrantz1 is online now Senior Member
    She should read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and The Paleo Answer by Loren Cordain. Both books are well researched and well referenced. I also recommend Sugar: The Bitter Truth by Robert Lustig which is on YouTube.
    “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosencrantz1 View Post
    She should read Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and The Paleo Answer by Loren Cordain. Both books are well researched and well referenced. I also recommend Sugar: The Bitter Truth by Robert Lustig which is on YouTube.
    The trouble is that all of those have their flaws.

There's lots of good advice in this thread, but we can't give more targetted advice until we know more exactly what her objections are. If they are just 'there's no way of replicating paleolithic diets, it's a stupid thing to do', then I have to say, I completely agree with her. All we are doing is using paleo as a proxy for 'a diet of whole foods, eschewing processed foods such as white sugar and grasses (including seed oils)".

From my perspective the major sticking point is cutting out wheat. This video might help her:

Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Kvalhion is offline Senior Member
    I always laugh a bit when I hear about people who question eating primal. The majority I have seen question it because they don't want to follow it. They want to keep their grains and other foods and convince themselves that it's really not that bad for them, especially in moderation.

I've yet to see a sound argument, scientific or otherwise, that says eating foods that have been processed is healthier than eating foods that are natural and/or clean. I do not think it is our responsibility to convince other people to see common sense. We live by example and when they really want to improve their health, they will come around.
    5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
    Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
    Weight: 259
    Total Cholesterol: 243
    LDL: 188
    HDL: 40
    Trig: 96

2-18-11
    Weight: 228
    Total Cholesterol: 239
    LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
    HDL: 46
    Trig: 49

6-23-11
    Weight: 197.2
    Total Cholesterol: 225
    LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
    HDL: 56
    Trig: 38

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    because there is money to be made from industrial / factory foods.
    That's exactly right. And that's why there is so much confusion and misinformation in the United States. Unfortunately, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvalhion View Post
    I always laugh a bit when I hear about people who question eating primal. The majority I have seen question it because they don't want to follow it. They want to keep their grains and other foods and convince themselves that it's really not that bad for them, especially in moderation.

I've yet to see a sound argument, scientific or otherwise, that says eating foods that have been processed is healthier than eating foods that are natural and/or clean. I do not think it is our responsibility to convince other people to see common sense. We live by example and when they really want to improve their health, they will come around.

I agree totally with all of this. Great advice IMHO ^^^^^
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12