Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lifting once a week worth it? page 3

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    actually if you tried giving your body more rest you might be surprised that that isn't the case
    I think this depends. If you are on the newbie learning curve, chances are, after you get past the initial stage of easy soreness, you can skyrocket your gains by going several times a week versus 1. When you start going past a certain weight, which I've seen around 1.5-2x body weight squat, you might be better off going only once.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I have a 2.5 and 4.5 yo that I'm home all day with and will be chasing at the park again once the snow melts.

I dont know how well this counts, or if it even does, but I like to think it does but when I do things like load and unload the washer/dryer (front loads) and the dishwasher, and putting stuff in lower cabinets. I do it in squat form. While I am hand washing dishes or working on stuff at the island, or reaching up to upper cabinets, I do it calf raise style.

I also do a "bathroom set". I am usually not missed for the few minutes it takes to do a set of squats, calf raises, and wall pushups. I usually do the calf raises while washing and drying my hands. I drink alot of water, so I have lots of opportunities to do those, though I don't do them every time.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    I'm doing a once-a-week visit to the gym and it seems to be changing my body comp, albeit slowly. I do the big 5 from Body by Science and also a 3 minutes of wind sprints on the stationary bike (20 seconds full out, 10 seconds rest, repeat).

Upper body muscles are starting to "pop" a little and the stomach is shrinking. Of course, diet's a bigger part of the latter. But that's also true if your an every day gym rat.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I also do a "bathroom set". I am usually not missed for the few minutes it takes to do a set of squats, calf raises, and wall pushups. I usually do the calf raises while washing and drying my hands. I drink alot of water, so I have lots of opportunities to do those, though I don't do them every time.
    You get to go to the bathroom by yourself?! Sorry, it seems I'm followed everywhere including into the bathroom. If the wind calms down a bit today we'll get outside.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I dont know how well this counts, or if it even does, but I like to think it does but when I do things like load and unload the washer/dryer (front loads) and the dishwasher, and putting stuff in lower cabinets. I do it in squat form. While I am hand washing dishes or working on stuff at the island, or reaching up to upper cabinets, I do it calf raise style.

I do calf-raises while brushing my teeth every morning and every night. I thought I was the only one who did calf-raises in the bathroom!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    I do calf-raises while brushing my teeth every morning and every night. I thought I was the only one who did calf-raises in the bathroom!

I find I do them more and more. I just made some green tea in the keurig and I was doing them as I getting it all ready. I just love the way it feels, and amazed at how much easier it is now than when I first started. I use to have great legs, if I do say so myself. I really would like to have them back. I think it all helps. DH said he is seeing/feeling the definition. Bonus!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Age makes a difference, too. I couldn't keep up the 3x a week stuff and I haven't reached a bodyweight squat yet. I've recently reached a bodyweight deadlift, but it's starting to look like I'm only going to be able to increase the weight every other week.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i find it depends how hard i try as to how long it takes me to recover. if i wasnt constantly pushing myself, i could go every day and be sweet. my personal trainer is prob mid 30s and male. he trains heaps but he only does one body part/area per week to give them himself to recover and build muscle. so split programs. i do fullbody once a week. i also find if i do the same exercises every week, instead of constantly changing it, i dont get DOMS after about 3 weeks. the muscles just feel tired instead for about 3 days.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Age makes a difference, too. I couldn't keep up the 3x a week stuff and I haven't reached a bodyweight squat yet. I've recently reached a bodyweight deadlift, but it's starting to look like I'm only going to be able to increase the weight every other week.
    Fair enough. For someone who is older, I would recommend more rest, just because recovery is just going to be harder on someone older than someone younger.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123