Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifting once a week worth it? page 2

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am thinking about moving toward this kind of schedule. I feel it would give me enough rest for the heavy stuff in order to make gains the following time, and then leave room to play with whatever I want the rest of the days

But yes. Once a week is plenty, although supplementation would be a good idea. Active rest is the best.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Active rest is the best.
    i look on walking as active stretching and it makes me feel alot better when i have trained real hard to be able to move around.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Totally worth it. There's whole programs built around lifting once every week to 10 days (Body by Science, specifically). You'll still get a lot of benefit out of it, it'll just be a little slower progress than if you went 2-3 times per week.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i look on walking as active stretching and it makes me feel alot better when i have trained real hard to be able to move around.
    Same here. My mileage every day varies from 2-5

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i do minimum 6ks which is about 4 miles i think? i do try to go up hills and over uneven terrain as much as possible. i learnt the hard way about how bad unidirectional movement patterns are. i find i can focus too on muscles i have been working and try to stretch them out as i move. and it is always good to get the blood flow going to your muscles when you have been weight training.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    it'll just be a little slower progress than if you went 2-3 times per week.

actually if you tried giving your body more rest you might be surprised that that isn't the case

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Yes!

DH lifts only once a week. The rest of the week, we do body-weight volume training for less than 20 minutes. We do it at the park while DS rides his bike or plays.

Seriously, it's good.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Ive been wondering this myself.
    I also walk 4-5 km each night, I even ran a little last night for the first time in a while LOL

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Yes!

DH lifts only once a week. The rest of the week, we do body-weight volume training for less than 20 minutes. We do it at the park while DS rides his bike or plays.

Seriously, it's good.
    This is my plan when the weather permits! 30mph winds at a high of 35 won't allow that today though.

Anyone have any program suggestions to follow? I reall like doing supersets. Lately I've been doing:
    Warm up: Squats 1x10 with bar, 1x7 with 90lbs
    Squat/Lat Pull 3x5 alternating
    Lunges 3x12/Bench 3x5 alternating
    Push-ups 2x13 (increase 1 each week)/Deadlift 1x5 alternating
    Tree hang - hang from branch as long as I can in an attempt to some day do a pull-up. I'm under 10s at this point.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    i really don't get all the reps and sets, you just need high intensity, the sort of weight that you can do between 6-10 reps of to failure.

If you go to failure (over a short rep range) your body will respond with muscle gains. anything else just seems like a waste of time

Also i don't even really start aching proper until 2 days later and don't stop aching for a few days, there's no way i could (or should) train again in that timescale, might as well let the body recover before stressing it again.
    Last edited by Greenbeast; 02-11-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast