Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your macros? page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

What are your macros?

Shop Now
    Just wondering:

- What's your macro breakdown?
    - What's the motivating factor for eating like that?

I've only been counting for a few weeks, but I'm consistently coming in around 50:30:20 (C:F:P). Unfortunately I think this is the optimal ratio for weight gain?! ha.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 02-10-2013 at 06:51 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    25:50:25 C:F:P

I don't see how eating primal can lead to more carbs. I even eat 10 bananas a day
    Billie trips balls

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Gadsie; once pasta and bread are gone, getting to 100 gms of carbs is damn near impossible. I've recently added potatoes and rice in limited quantities, and still stay under 75 grams most days.

I average around 75-125 grams of protein.

I don't track fat really, but when I first started primal, it was about 50% of my calories. Then I bumped it up to 70%, started feeling drugged all the time, and scaled back to around 50%. I don't specifically add fat to things except stuff like half and half to coffee (or occasionally 3/4 of a tablespoon of butter), a teaspoon of fat/oil in a pan to fry or saute something (eggs, veggies). But I do eat marbled meats, salmon and sardines, avocados, and of course egggggggggs, so I get fat with my protein sources.

But really, I'm all over the place. Some days I eat like a "normal" person - nice balance of animal and plant, other days it's cheese and olives or a pear, some days I eat no plants at all. Almost like I ate before primal except no pasta, bread, or hummus. I miss hummus, but my once fatter ass doesn't.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Gadsie, you are also a growing teenager. 10 bananas is 250 carbs at least. Us grown women would be barely able to waddle around with that many carbs. Unless, of course, we did crazy amounts of exercise...which I am not opposed too. Just making a point. YogiBare probably fits in more exercise and can keep fit on 50:30:20. I eat 20:50:30 about 1500 a day. Unfortunately looks like I need to adjust down n order to lose another 10 lbs.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    They move around depending on what I felt like eating.
    The past six days follow.

Total kcals: 16775.
    Average kcal/day: 2796.

Total fat: 1183g.
    Average fat/day: 197g.
    Total kcals from fat: 10647.
    Average kcals from fat/day: 1774.
    Percentage of kcals from fat: 63%.

Total protein: 661g.
    Average protein/day: 110g.
    Total kcals from protein: 2644.
    Average kcals from protein/day: 441.
    Percentage of kcals from protein: 16%.

Total carbs: 871g.
    Average carbs/day: 145g.
    Total kcals from carbs: 3484.
    Average kcals from carbs/day: 581.
    Percentage of kcals from carbs: 21%.

So 63:16:21 (F:P:C) this week.
    Why? Because I felt like it.

Notes:
    -When I was less active (walking not weighted, workouts twice a week and only one intense exercise per workout, lots of studying and standing around) I only needed 1700kcal/day (1300 in Summer, when it's warm).
    -My protein moves around, but usually stays between 60 and 160g/day (average 95), regardless of calorific intake. Am considering lowering fat and doing a protein spike to see if I slap on any more muscle or just pee it out.
    -Fat intake and carb intake are level when I'm not active, but activity leads to higher fat consumption.
    -A "Carnivore Day" experiment showed that, when undereating carbs (7g in the whole day) my usual requirement dropped from 2300-2600kcal (the usual for that level of activity) to 1563kcal without hunger or slower recovery.
    -Carnivory (or partial carnivory) can't be sustained without offal, as I seem to need more micronutrients when very active, so I crave veg, even though the kcals from carbs seem almost useless too my body (considering I can entirely remove them short-term, not increase fat, barely increase protein and be just as energized, full and happy, with my usual recovery speed).
    -If I don't snack, I don't feel hungry and eat about 300kcal less, but usually eat a bit more the next day.
    Last edited by Kochin; 02-10-2013 at 06:28 AM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Oh lordy 10 bananas! Paleotrack says that's 1067 calories and 271g carbs. I don't care for bananas, so nutritional facts aside...

I am striving for 5-30-65 or 5-25-70 c-p-f

Of course I am failing on this. Paleotrack says I was 3-18-80 c-p-f yesterday

I need to lose weight! I am so sick and tired of being overweight and I want it gone. I don't care how long it takes, but I do intend to do everything in my power to make it go away once and for all.
    Last edited by Gladmorning; 02-10-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Gladmorning, I wonder if you shoot for 10-15 percent carbs if you might have better luck? I think it might give you more energy to move around and might help you increase your appetite...having just read the issue you are having getting to 1000 calories a day. For me, that would still be just 50-75 carbs. Just a thought...I am no expert
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    I suppose I could add some more fruit and nuts in. Yeah, I'm a carbophobe. Ya caught me ;-)
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Zach is offline Banned
    70/20/10 c/f/p. and all from primal approved foods.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I watch calories too since I am in weight loss mode. And just like the banana comment above, it might be on the lower end of their percentage but if that were on a 1300 calorie a day, that would be a much much higher percentage.

PHD, I don't know if you have read it but Mark wrote the forward for the new book, and it breaks it down like this:
    20-35% carb
    50-65% fat
    15% protein

That is for optimum health.

For weight loss it is more like this:
    500 calories carbs (don't count veggies)
    300 caloriesprotein
    500 calories fat
    If you are training, add 500 more calories per hour of athletic training.

So for weight loss, I shoot for 40% fat - actually I just try to stay under 60 grams of fat per day. So it is usually more like a 3 way split and I vary my calories from about 1200 - 1600, but usually I try to stay around 13-1400.

I seem to maintain when the fat is up around 65% or greater, even with calories on the low end.

*I just re-read through some of my notes, and he has a slight tweak if the goal is to add muscle. 30/18/52 c/p/f
    Last edited by gopintos; 02-10-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast