Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What are your macros? page 5

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I just posted my carb intake on the previous page. I was up at 172.7gs yesterday... which actually put my macros at 60:25:15 (C:F:P). Normally fat and protein would be a bit higher but I didn't eat much yesterday.

If you eat any kind of dairy / starch / honey it's very easy to see those macros escalate. I was shocked when I started counting at how high my carbs were! Particularly since a few months ago I was afraid to eat beetroot because of the potential insulin spikes
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    FYI - my carb intake for yesterday was 172.7. And I didn't even eat any starch! The foods I ate (that have carbs in them) are below. They add up...

Greek Yogurt 400 grams: 26
    Egg, whole, fried 3 medium: 1
    pepper, large: 12
    Nectarine: 14
    Coconut water, canned or bottled: 30
    wine, Pinot Noir 1 serving 5 fl oz: 3
    Honey 4 tablespoon: 69
    Carrots, raw : 6
    Milk, whole 1 cup: 11
    Ah yep i see hows its possible, thanks, I hadn't seen this yet when I asked.

Whatever works for you I guess

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Whatever works for you I guess
    Still finding that

Unlike when I first started eating Primal, and was consciously restricting carbs / aiming for a high % of fat, now I'm eating intuitively and this is where I'm ending up. Out of all the WOEs I've experimented with, this feels the best so far.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Great

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I think it would be well-doable to flip the diet to higher carb just by eating more fruit/veg.

I mean, before going primal, I would easily eat 3-5 pieces of fruit per day. Usually 2 apples and 3 oranges or thereabouts, yes? I mean, that right there is 100 g of carbohydrate. And then I also ate vegetables -- and usually at the amounts I currently eat -- so that would put me up another, say, 80 g? So, you know, I could do 180g without sniffing!

So, that's 720 calories right there, and if I'm consuming 1600/day, that's 45% -- and again, that's hardly even trying. That's just eating some tasty food. put up then 110 g protein (my basic need) which is 440 cals and 27.5% of daily diet, and then remainder, then, would be fat (27.5%) -- or 48g.

Now, truth be told, if you are also eating dairy in there (yogurt, milk) and perhaps even potatoes/sweet potatoes and rice. . . then it's getting even *easier* to get the carbohydrates up higher -- and therefore the fat must be lower.

Really, the only "constant" is your protein intake. You need enough, and the 1 g per lb lean mass is a good way to go. I need about 105, and I tend to get about 110 on an average day.

Outside of protein, carbohydrate goes up, fat goes down. Fat goes up, carbohydrate goes down. It's not hard to push either one to the fore. If, like me, you like fruit and veg -- it's really easy. I mean, veg is very low carb over all, and potatoes don't make me that happy, but fruit does. I *love* fruit.

So, I could quite easily push my diet that direction (high carb, low fat) with no real struggle.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    I tend not to 'over count' anymore. I'm around 60%Fat, 20% protein and 20% carbs. I crossfit 3 to 4 x per week, and on those days, I increase carb slightly, and decrease fat. On 'rest days, I decrease carbs and increase fat. I keep my protein constant every day.

Since crossfitting, (7 weeks), my weight has not changed, but my body recomp is amazing. I continue to lose inches in the waist and the stomach is now flat. Increases are happening in the shoulders, chest, arms and legs.

I eat 95% primal ----- maybe higher. I'm in the process of completely eliminating alcohol (wine) because it affects the quality of my workouts and my sleep.

It is the dead of winter here in Canada and I haven't been out walking for a few months, but once the spring hits, i'll be walking nightly (6-10km nightly).

Since being primal for 9 months, I've become good at preparing some standard meals during the week, and try a new recipie once every few weeks or so. I don't bother trying to re-create SAD foods through paleo. In other words, I don't bake paleo, I don't make crusts with almond flour etc......I just eat meat, veg, fat and lots and lots of water. I do enjoy my morning bullet coffee and my one big indulgence is high fat Greek yogourt which I like to have once a week.

I also am a sticker for 9-10 hours of sleep a night which is not hard when doing crossfit --- I'm generally in a state of exhaustion after my workouts.

That's about it --- just trying to keep it simple.
    /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    That's brilliant!!! Delighted for you I got really anxious LC, so yeah, everyone's different
    Thank you
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    60F/20-30P/10-20C consistently around 3000kcal

I didn't really chose these macros, I eliminated non-primal foods, added coconut milk, and tracked everything for a couple of weeks. This is where I naturally fall.
    Yep I too just ate my normal way and then tracked it carefully for a couple of weeks (out of interest) :

Approx numbers are :
    Cal = 2600
    Fat = 70% (~ 1800 Cal, ~ 200g)
    Protein = 20% (~ 520 Cal, ~ 130g)
    Carb = 10% (~ 260 Cal, ~ 65g)

I didn't realize my fat intake was that high - hidden fats everywhere

Very happy with my body composition, though I'm trying to increase muscle a little.
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 05-11-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    60/30/10

c/p/f
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    Protein: 110-140g
    Fat: Bare minimum of 55g
    Carbs: Fills in whatever remaining calories I have.

I don't do ratios. Seem fairly pointless to me. I shoot for 22-2400kcal a day, sometimes more depending on how I feel.
    That's mean you eat over 300g of carb (a lot) - a lot of starchy/sugary veg/food eaten ???? - If not, then I wonder how you get that amount of carbs.

And your approx figures are:

f 55g 500 Cal ~ 22%
    p 125g 500 Cal ~ 22%
    c 325g 1300 Cal ~ 56%

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast