Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your macros? page 3

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I'm consistently coming in around 50:30:20 (C:F:P). Unfortunately I think this is the optimal ratio for weight gain?! ha.
    When I started out CW of weight loss, those were my macros. (per sparkpeople) And I was losing 8-10lbs every month.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Timthetaco Guest
    Probably somewhere around 60c/20f/20p, though I may be overestimating the fat. Too much in the way of fat and protein destroys my energy and mood. That ratio might be where I ultimately end up, though, as it seems to suit my tastes pretty well. Maybe a little higher on the protein.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 02-10-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Mark counts all carbs. KISS I think.

end of PB there.

But my personal experience - I track all in my tracker, but I also show my net, and that is what I look at to determine if I can eat anything else.

However a few months ago, I quit counting veggies. A BAS could have a number of carbs, and that 10 or 15 or 20 might be what would send me over. So I quit tripping on that if that is what I felt like eating. I doubt Mark meant for us (me) to be so anal about it and afraid to eat a salad.
    Last edited by gopintos; 02-10-2013 at 08:53 AM.

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    I try to stay as close as possible to the following values:

Fats: 140.000g (1260.00 Kcal) = 63.64%
    Proteins: 120.000g (540.00 Kcal) = 27.27%
    Carbs: 40.000g (180.00 Kcal) = 9.09%

The reason is that I found carbs to be not that important for me, still I do not renounce to salad, peppers, zucchini, broccoli, asparagi, berries and other. Fats are very high, the natural replacement to the missing carbs, they come from meat, fish, ghee, oil of olive, coconut oil and nuts. Proteins are a bit less than 2g per 1 Kg of bodyweight (I am 62Kg).

I found this to be the perfect balance to keep my current physical form -which I consider good- with my current physical activity (45 minutes x 4 times/week of intense weightlifting + walking a lot). Sprints coming back soon, it's just too cold out there right now

I also enjoy the fact that I eat much less in terms of volume and weight thanks to the denser caloric count of fats. This allows me to stay active all day long without post lunch blues, bloating, etc.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Perfect health diet. Cripes. This is so confusing. First it's eat more fat, very low carb. In the blue print it's 50g carbs or less for fast weight loss, but now it's 500 calories in carbs, but don't count vegetables?
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Just go with the PB .... Probably best not to float on the forums for at least 6 months from start date. Some of the advice on here could be detrimental to your health. Not saying the PHD is bad (its another health book), but its more likely to just confuse you if your just starting out.
    I agree with NH. There are tonnes of weight loss diets out there and many of them work (in the short term anyway) - so long as you stick with the one approach. Keep with the PB and if it stops working for you then consider trying something else.

From what I've observed the attraction of this WOE is that it's as much about overall health as body composition, so people tend to stick to it and not regain.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Probably somewhere around 60c/20f/20p, though I may be overestimating the fat. Too much in the way of fat and protein destroys my energy and mood. That ratio might be where I ultimately end up, though, as it seems to suit my tastes pretty well. Maybe a little higher on the protein.
    Interesting - I totally have that experience when my carbs drop too low. I wonder if low carb may turn out not to be suitable for people who suffer from depression...

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    When I started out CW of weight loss, those were my macros. (per sparkpeople) And I was losing 8-10lbs every month.
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    My ratios are pretty similar, though some weeks carbs and fat are both closer to 40%. I started tracking a few months ago, thinking higher fat might help me be less hungry on fewer calories. It didn't seem to help. Now I just use it to mentally remind myself to eat a little more protein, because I have a tendency to drift downward with that macro. I am continuing to slowly lose weight on what theoretically ought to be maintenance calories, despite very little exercise, so I call BS on "optimal" ratios.
    Ah, good to know. I'm not actually gaining weight, but I read somewhere that high fat, high carb is the best way to do it. I was thinking I should up my protein and lower my fat, but these are the macros I'm falling into by just listening to my body and eating what I want. It seems to be working too - this is definitely the fittest and strongest I've felt, and I can see a big improvement in my athletic performance.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Human beings love certainty. And they love magic.
    Lol
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-17-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Interesting - I totally have that experience when my carbs drop too low. I wonder if low carb may turn out not to be suitable for people who suffer from depression...
    Like I said, I don't purposely eat low carb, I just prefer fat and protein. I have never had more energy, and I have cured my depression and panic attacks on 60F/20-30P/10-20C

Everyone seems to be different.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Ah, good to know. I'm not actually gaining weight, but I read somewhere that high fat, high carb is the best way to do it. I was thinking I should up my protein and lower my fat, but these are the macros I'm falling into by just listening to my body and eating what I want. It seems to be working too - this is definitely the fittest and strongest I've felt, and I can see a big improvement in my athletic performance.
    I think part of the High Fat & High Carb combo for weight gain, is where are those carbs coming from. When my macros were 50% carbs, they were all fairly decent carbs. I lost my first 20 on my own by cutting out fast food, processed, sweet tea. etc. So when I began to track and dial in the macros, the 50/30/20, it was pretty decent food. Funny thing is, that is when I added in whole wheat and added in beans, and added in Peanut Butter. I hardly ate those before :P

So anyways, I think SAD high fat & high carbs, (things like desserts) is definitely a recipe for gaining.

I think it is all in context to the total calories also. Even when I was 50% carbs, I was still under 150g most of the time.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    Like I said, I don't purposely eat low carb, I just prefer fat and protein. I have never had more energy, and I have cured my depression and panic attacks on 60F/20-30P/10-20C

Everyone seems to be different.
    That's brilliant!!! Delighted for you I got really anxious LC, so yeah, everyone's different
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

That's brilliant!!! Delighted for you I got really anxious LC, so yeah, everyone's different
    Yup everyone is all over the place.

LC for me, I lost all energy, all motivation. Some kind of gray fog. It was almost like it was raining every day. (and we were in the middle of a drought) I was losing but it slowed. I was afraid to even eat an apple. But I was very full on few calories.

Back in the day, when I was lifting heavy, for a gal I think - especially for just getting started, I was eating chicken and potatoes. Potatoes mostly. I didnt know anything about nutrition but I knew about being divorced and broke, and tators were cheap. It wasnt long at all I was squatting 300lbs. That was my favorite. I then tried benching, and it was like 100lbs. I didnt pay attention to any other chicks, so I don't know if that is good or bad but I was solid and I felt good.

I am trying to get back to a place of consistent strength training but going to a gym is not realistic for me, so for now I will have to do it all from home. So I dusted off my Primal Fitness the other day.

I thought I knew how to lose weight but now I am not so sure, so I am trying to find what works for me again. This week, I lost about 5lbs, but the last few days it has gone back up alittle, but so has my fitness. But I eat good healthy foods, I stay in my calorie range, so I just keep on keeping on. It is just aggravating. Things were moving along so well, then I tried to tweak, and the more I tweaked the worse weight loss became. I tried to fix something that wasn't really broken and now I am having a hard time getting back to that place, but I think for me, for now, it seems to be working again if I keep my fats to under 40%. My carbs are fruits and a small tator every day usually, I dont count my veggies at all, so I don't worry too much about my carbs anymore. I try to make sure I get enough protein and along with the protein comes my fat. Maybe 1-2TBL extra of CO, but that's about it. For now.

So anyways, babble off

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Protein: 110-140g
    Fat: Bare minimum of 55g
    Carbs: Fills in whatever remaining calories I have.

I don't do ratios. Seem fairly pointless to me. I shoot for 22-2400kcal a day, sometimes more depending on how I feel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast