Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your macros? page 2

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    60F/20-30P/10-20C consistently around 3000kcal

I didn't really chose these macros, I eliminated non-primal foods, added coconut milk, and tracked everything for a couple of weeks. This is where I naturally fall.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    60F/20-30P/10-20C consistently around 3000kcal

I didn't really chose these macros, I eliminated non-primal foods, added coconut milk, and tracked everything for a couple of weeks. This is where I naturally fall.
    Ditto...

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Perfect health diet. Cripes. This is so confusing. First it's eat more fat, very low carb. In the blue print it's 50g carbs or less for fast weight loss, but now it's 500 calories in carbs, but don't count vegetables?
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladmorning View Post
    Perfect health diet. Cripes. This is so confusing. First it's eat more fat, very low carb. In the blue print it's 50g carbs or less for fast weight loss, but now it's 500 calories in carbs, but don't count vegetables?
    Just go with the PB .... Probably best not to float on the forums for at least 6 months from start date. Some of the advice on here could be detrimental to your health. Not saying the PHD is bad (its another health book), but its more likely to just confuse you if your just starting out.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    It can be confusing I think, though it seems like it should be so easy.

PB - it is 50 carbs or less for Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning.

I am a woman of a certain age. And the high fat didnt work for me very well. I got in a groove of high fat and my calories were chronically low for many many months, and as things slowed, I thought well, I should go even higher fat, and some said cut your protein ---- and then everything screeched to a halt. So now I am trying to find my groove again.

The rest of that paragraph on the curve... I seemed to have glazed over. I saw accelerated fat loss and saw no more. But the rest of it says:
    Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.
    I think had a added carbs in a day or two, and then go back to HF/LC (wash, rinse, repeat) it would have been much better.

And I know Mark says don't count calories, but I do, at least for now. The first thing ppl say to you when you arent losing weight is you are eating too much, too many calories. This way, I know.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Probably a good idea, neckhammer. Sorry to thread jack.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    The only thing I can comment on is my own experience. I closely follow Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution. I don't try and hit any particular macro, I just don't eat the garbage, and I added some coconut milk, coconut oil.

My numbers worked themselves out like I pointed out above. I think that the many different philosophies found on the forum is confusing you. I suggest you simplify and stick with Mark's PB for a month (or Robb's PS) and see where you are after that time.

What I don't eat: starches, dairy except butter, seed oils, processed food, sugar, alcohol, grains.

What I do eat: Lots of free-range eggs, lots of beef, lots of fish, lots of greens, lots of cabbages, lots of other non-starchy vegetables, some chicken, some pork, lots of olive oil, lots of coconut oil,

What I supplement: Vit D, cod liver oil, MTC oil, L-carnitine

I am +95% Paleo
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

I have to keep reminding myself this stuff, health, nutrition is NOT "one size fits all."

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I no longer count. I'm a woman of a certain age, too. I'm lifting weights and that seems to make all the difference in the world. My typical meals are:

- can of salmon over a potato
    - half quart plain yogurt
    - steamed veggies and meat
    - meat veggies and potato

So, it's whatever that works out to.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I've only been counting for a few weeks, but I'm consistently coming in around 50:30:20 (C:F:P). Unfortunately I think this is the optimal ratio for weight gain?! ha.
    My ratios are pretty similar, though some weeks carbs and fat are both closer to 40%. I started tracking a few months ago, thinking higher fat might help me be less hungry on fewer calories. It didn't seem to help. Now I just use it to mentally remind myself to eat a little more protein, because I have a tendency to drift downward with that macro. I am continuing to slowly lose weight on what theoretically ought to be maintenance calories, despite very little exercise, so I call BS on "optimal" ratios.

Human beings love certainty. And they love magic. If someone can give them a magic formula that will guarantee weight loss, they will tie themselves into knots in order to comply.

Just eat primal foods. Which ever ones make it easiest for you to maintain at least a modest caloric deficit most of the time.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast