Thread: Melatonin and my belly page

denisedb is offline Member

Melatonin and my belly

Primal Fuel
    Okay, not sure if this qualifies as 'nutrition', but is there anyone else who suspects that their somewhat frequent melatonin use could be contributing to their excess weight? I have a hell of a time losing weight, and although my hormones have been tested and are showing that they're where they should be, could this week or two of melatonin use 3-4 times a year (to help me sleep through extra stressful times, children's illnesses, etc) be making me fat? I don't drink, rarely eat sugar, and I would say follow primal diet 80-90% of the time.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I don't take melatonin, but it could be as simple as whatever you are eating in that 10-20%.
    If I do that, I gain or lose, depending on what it is.
    I have to be 100%.

Or stress, or not sleeping etc.

Have you read the Primal Blueprint book yet?

Timthetaco Guest
    My wife took melatonin for a couple weeks after being forced off her sleep aid on account of insurance problems, and she definitely gained some weight as a result, so I do think it can contribute to weight gain. Of course, she was also overeating and extremely constipated at the time, so I'm sure that contributed. Do you only gain weight when you take the melatonin? Sparing use of a medication can't account for weight gain throughout the year when you're not taking it.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    From what I've read about melatonin, the studies suggest that it could help with weight loss. That being said, many online posters that I have read had suggested that they are gaining weight.

Here is what Mark says about it: Why Melatonin Is a Dangerous Supplement | Mark's Daily Apple
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    From what I've read about melatonin, the studies suggest that it could help with weight loss. That being said, many online posters that I have read had suggested that they are gaining weight.

Here is what Mark says about it: Why Melatonin Is a Dangerous Supplement | Mark's Daily Apple
    Thank you itchy, I hadn't read that. I used to take 3-5 mg Melatonin nightly, for 2 years. I did not gain weight, nor change my eating habits. I don't take it now. I also don't think it helped me.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 02-10-2013 at 07:09 PM.

denisedb is offline Member
    Thanks everyone. I'm trying to get off of it and doing more exercise will most certainly help with the sleep issue. and laying off the diet coke!

Nik
    Nik is offline Member
    I have been taking 5mg of melatonin for GERD, and it has really worked for me. I haven't experienced any weight gain from it. I have never had trouble sleeping, and I hadn't noticed any side effects, but after reading this thread last night, I decided not to take it before bed, and I woke up so much easier this morning...I usually snooze my alarm a lot, and feel groggy!
    Not sure what to do now.... I guess I'll stay off of it and see if my GERD comes back.
    Thanks for the article link. It was very interesting to read. I never thought taking it could have negative consequences.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Thank you itchy, I hadn't read that. I used to take 3-5 mg Melatonin nightly, for 2 years. I did not gain weight, nor change my eating habits. I don't take it now. I also don't think it helped me.
    I've used it before as a sleep aid when working nights. I always thought of it as a supplement, and didn't worry about it. I just came across Mark's article a few days before the OP asked about it. I didn't realize it was a hormone.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    I have been taking 5mg of melatonin for GERD, and it has really worked for me. I haven't experienced any weight gain from it. I have never had trouble sleeping, and I hadn't noticed any side effects, but after reading this thread last night, I decided not to take it before bed, and I woke up so much easier this morning...I usually snooze my alarm a lot, and feel groggy!
    Not sure what to do now.... I guess I'll stay off of it and see if my GERD comes back.
    Thanks for the article link. It was very interesting to read. I never thought taking it could have negative consequences.
    I've taken melatonin for the last 4 years and can't say that it makes my groggy in the mornings. Although, I only take 1 mg. I use it mostly for it's antioxidant effects but it does help greatly with my sleeping.
    If your GERD symtoms return, you could try it at a lower dose to see if it still helps. From what I know about melatonin, more or higher doses can have the opposite effect for some people.

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh... to the OP. I've not seen any weight gain by taking it.