Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They're all inside, the kids that is. page

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member

They're all inside, the kids that is.

Shop Now
    We have jump off the roof snow drifts here from a storm last night, abut miles of conservation land, frozen marshes, small but sleddable hills yet all the neighborhood kids are inside. What the hell is going on, I would have smashed a window to get out in this when I was young. As it is I was out all day shoveling, went up the beach to watch the surf, helped out the neighbors, came in rosy cheeked and ready for some hot soup. No wonder these kids are all getting fat. OK old man rant over.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Go smash a window and drag them out!

Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    We have jump off the roof snow drifts here from a storm last night, abut miles of conservation land, frozen marshes, small but sleddable hills yet all the neighborhood kids are inside. What the hell is going on, I would have smashed a window to get out in this when I was young. As it is I was out all day shoveling, went up the beach to watch the surf, helped out the neighbors, came in rosy cheeked and ready for some hot soup. No wonder these kids are all getting fat. OK old man rant over.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I hear you.

When we lived in PA, DH and I would walk the neighborhood regardless of the weather. Lightening was the only thing that would keep us in. LOL I was always saddened that the kids were rarely out to play. We even had a nice playground in the 'hood. I was like "where are all of these children?" Even the ones with back-yard playgrounds were rarely out.

I think it's programming, too -- lots of activities away form home, etc.

My kid has to be outside a minimum of 2 hrs per day, and as a family, we do 20 minutes before we leave home. We go to the park, where DS rides his bike, runs arond and swings, etc -- DH and I do our bodyweight/volume work and sprints (DS also does sprints, he sees them as chase). It's about 20 minutes and then we hit the road to get DS to kindy and ourselves to work.

It's just more fun to be active/outside.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Oh that is sad. Id love there to be snow here.
    It sure beats the heat, I can't stand the heat.

Great idea Zoebird. Now we have to go to school each day, I think going to the park before school is a great idea.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    One nor'easter we lived through before we bailed NJ, the snow was so high that our second floor windows looked like ground floor windows, and the ground floor windows looked like those that peek out from the basement. Snow was so high that we took our then-very young First (daughter), hoisted her up above my waist level (I am 5'5") into the snow bank that was our front yard, and gave her a push... She slid down the "yard" and into the arms of hubby who was waiting for her - standing in a snow trench that would be our sidewalk, had the snow not been there.

The nor'easter before that, hubby and I went off to a local indoor mall parking lot and spun donuts all around until the cops ordered us (and the rest of the state) off of the roads until after the storm. That is where I found out hubby can do donuts pretty well... FUN, FUN, FUN.

As a kid in Texas, all that brought us in was bad lightning, the threat of an imminent tornado, or a flash flood - my mama didn't like us playing in the crick behind our house when a huge thunderstorm system was afoot, as it frequently rose halfway up the back yard or more and got kind of fast-running. I still sit outside and watch thunderstorms from the relative dryness of my porch.

Otherwise, my mother literally shoved us out the screen door and ordered us to go out and play. I got tons of vit d in Texas.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yup, we just built it into our schedule. We don't even get up earlier, we just leave the house sooner.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    yeah we get up plenty early LOL.
    Both mine are up around 6:30

I just didn't think of it, so we have been going after school when it has been really not.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I love that with the house we're in I can send my kids out to play in the front yard while I cook dinner. We need to buy waterproof gloves for the kiddos (2 and 4) next year as they complain about cold hands when playing in the snow. Loved spending time building snowmen the other day.

Our biggest battle is getting out in the daylight and getting dinner on the table. It's pretty cold in the morning so I prefer to take the kids out in the afternoon. But they nap until 3 and we eat dinner at 5:30. Luckily I have great kids that know their boundaries and won't go past the sidewalk!

meeshar is online now Senior Member
    So sad, the last neighborhood we lived in was like that. I love where we live now though, we had a dusting of snow recently and the neighborhood kids were outside immediately making snowballs from what was on the cars/railings, and sledding down the hill on just barely enough snow to slide. Sadly the snow melted within a couple of hours, but they had fun while it lasted! The kids here are outside almost every day though (mine included), even rain doesn't stop them unless it's torrential.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    The kids are out here sledding whenever it snows here. I love being out in a big storm - not driving mind you, but shoveling or playing or just walking and enjoying the quiet from the snow fall. I guess it's tough to compete with video game addictions plus parents are afraid that someone or something will hurt their kids if they let them out in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast