Thread: Primal Gravy: Coconut Flour, Vital Gluten page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

So I've been collected these wonderful drippings from my turkey breast cooking and decided it was time to do something with them. Since I was fixing lunch for my father, I knew he wouldn't find just plain old fat sitting on turkey too appetizing. So I decided to try low carb gravy.

I added some water to the drippings and after bringing it to a boil, a couple of TBL's of coconut flour. Poof! Instant gravy. After sitting a few minutes, part of it wanted to separate out, but for non-picky users, it was perfectly good. Then I added a bit of Vital Wheat Gluten and things got even better.

Next time I'm going straight for the gluten. If anyone wants to follow up on this, have at it! I won't need to do another batch for quite awhile.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

You got me all excited until you got to the bit about the wheat gluten. Isn't that pretty much what most of us here are trying to avoid?

So, it was pretty good right after you added the coconut flour? I was thinking about using that as a thickener for a curry sauce.

Not at all! Not primal as in did Grok make it, but primal in the need for high quality proteins.

While from grain, it's just two amino acids that could come from anywhere. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten . Gluten is almost all protein and the victim of a lot of bad publicity because a relatively few people have problems with it.

Of course, it's optional. Don't use it if you don't want to.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I made something very similar the other day. I mixed bacon and beef fat with 8 oz of red cooking wine and some fresh blueberries, than stirred a bit of coconut flour. Yum, Yum! It is a bit grainy so I would call it a delicious sauce rather than gravy.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yes, the coconut flour is not as fine or as dissolved as wheat flour, but it's perfectly OK except to some picky person.