Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 109

Thread: Any other women who put on muscle ridiculously easily?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43

    Any other women who put on muscle ridiculously easily?

    It seems like my body LOVES carrying muscle. I don't mind it because of the health benefits (I'll take quads over a muffin top any day), but I'm curious whether anyone else has had the same experience.

    According to my body fat percentage (which could be off a bit because it was bioelectrical impedance analysis), I have lean mass of around 120-125. I'm 5'5". I don't use protein supplements or go out of my way to eat extra protein, though I usually have some kind of high-quality meat once per day. I only do the bodyweight exercises from PBF and stair sprints 1-2 times per week. I've lost over 25 pounds since going Primal, but my calf muscle measurement is higher! Knee boots are not in my future...

    I'm also curious about how hormone levels affect muscle for women. I had tests done a few years ago, and my testosterone was toward the top end of normal and DHEAS was slightly high (though not enough to be indicative of any problems). Everything else was normal. This was without any kind of hormonal contraception or medications.

    Also, just because I find it funny, having 0% bodyfat would still put my BMI at 21. Don't you just love BMI?

    Anyone with the same experience?

    Edit: I apologize if this seems self-congratulatory to any women who have the opposite problem. I often envy women who can be strong without having a bulkier appearance, and it is somewhat frustrating that my body seems to want to live at the end of the bell curve. I hope this doesn't seem condescending because it is not meant to be at all.
    Last edited by happybunny; 02-09-2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Clarification

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    278
    You conveniently forgot to mention your bodyfat percentage or how many pounds of fat you carry on your frame. 125 pounds of lean body mass is very impressive if you weigh 150 pounds, not so much if you weigh 300 pounds.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43
    Legitimate point, Kharnath. I started out at over 200 pounds and am down to around 170 (a few pounds more depending on time of day, menstruation, etc.), which puts me at about 27% body fat (give or take a few points for the uncertainty of measurement). Still too high, but weighing 150 would result in about 17% body fat, assuming no muscle loss while attaining that weight, which is definitely not a goal for me (and for some women might result in no menstruation, IIRC). I also have an excellent waist-to-hip ratio (do you need the number for this too?). My goal is more like 23% at this point, which would be 160-162. Some might view that as an unacceptable body fat percentage, but considering where I'm coming from, it's currently a reasonable goal in my opinion, and the fact that it's considered near ideal for fertility makes me think that evolution wouldn't be terribly unhappy with me either.

    Now that I have cured the sin of my lack of full disclosure...do you have anything that actually responds to the questions in my post?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    You conveniently forgot to mention your bodyfat percentage
    This guy is a real charmer

    Anyway - yes! I've got a reasonably light frame but I put on muscle without a whole lot of exercise. If I eat well (no junk, and around 1,800 - 2000 cals a day) and do an hour of Yoga a day I quickly drop to around 19% body fat with nice muscle definition and two abs My problem is inconsistency and too much of a liking for ice cream...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    This guy is a real charmer
    I can do better:

    Strength standards for men and women

    Where do you girls rank on those lists? Advanced? Elite? No, probably not. In fact, I bet you struggle to fit into the untrained category. That's because you're not strong and muscular. You're just big. And you're delusional if you think you can put on lean body mass ridiculously easily, when males - with vastly superior testosterone levels and training intensity - are barely able to put on any muscle without gaining at least some amount of bodyfat in the process.

    Let the flaming commence.


    (by the way, I tend to get very "big boned" and "muscular" around my hips and ass during the winter)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    . . .
    Posts
    4,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    I can do better:

    Strength standards for men and women

    Where do you girls rank on those lists? Advanced? Elite? No, probably not. In fact, I bet you struggle to fit into the untrained category. That's because you're not strong and muscular. You're just big. And you're delusional if you think you can put on lean body mass ridiculously easily, when males - with vastly superior testosterone levels and training intensity - are barely able to put on any muscle without gaining at least some amount of bodyfat in the process.
    Lol. You're a dope. My waist is not even 29' inches right now. I'm 5 foot 8'. This is my winter weight.

    When you say "muscle" you probably mean big beefy muscles? If you're stocky then that what you get but I've got a 'wirey" frame so I can get lean with muscle definition without too much work. If I wanted to get "big" then yeah, it would take a lot of training and effort.

    I have a friend who is "big boned" and she's got a very low body fat % - she looks defined and awesome, so it is possible.

    You seriously need to take a chill pill man. Actually don't - I find you obnoxiousness very entertaining
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

    In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

    - Ray Peat

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    When you say "muscle" you probably mean big beefy muscles?
    When I say "muscle", I mean "skeletal muscle". Not "toned muscle", "wiry muscle" or "big beefy muscle".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,160
    I have a response!

    I was measured at one point for one of those medical weight-loss places (I had a coupon, so it was free and I was curious). According to my height (5'6) and my bone-size as measured at my wrist (medium, I believe) I was supposed to weigh somewhere between 125 and 135#. According to the BMI chart, I should be between 117 and 143#. However, what none of this takes into account is my line-backer shoulders over birthing hips and what we call in my family the "shelf butt." I might have medium bones, but I have a big frame, and it likes to put on muscle.

    The best I've ever looked was freshman year in college at 155#. I was walking several miles a day, doing barn work, riding horses, generally being active. I was also eating pretty close to primally, though I didn't know it at the time. Could I have cut past it down to the high 140s? Yeah, probably. But it would have required a lot of work, and, honestly I don't think I'm put together in a way that "cut" would be flattering on me

    Which is a long way of saying- I hear you. Right now, I'm so far from fit that calculating my lean body mass just seems like an exercise in frustration. I know what my goal is, and it's not what it's "supposed" to be. What looks good on me (5', 155#) is overweight according to BMI. I can make it my goal because I've seen it on me, and I know it's right. I feel bad, though, for the women out there built like us that haven't seen themselves "fit" and don't know that their supposed goal weight is a bunch of bull.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

    Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

    And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    43
    I was lucky enough to go a nutritionist when I got my BF percentage measured who pretty much said that BMI is a load of crap and therefore agreed that a goal weight in the 160s was reasonable and that I not worry about BMI "fitness."

    I spent most of my life as someone who gave up on fitness because I couldn't be one of the 110 lb girls. I got mistaken for a college girl in middle school because of my build (butt and boobs...you know). Then coming in as overweight or obese according to BMI from middle school onward kind of sealed the deal. It's easy to think, "why bother?"

    And I think even on this site, with it's emphasis on health versus thin, it's easy to get the impression that for women, healthy still equals thin. Some women would look very unhealthy at 150-160, but not all of us!

    Also, drssgchic, nice horse pictures on your blog!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,160
    I hear ya! It's only fairly recently (and I'm 29) that I really want to own myself. I'm not 110#, and a size zero will fit, like, my thigh, but I'm still pretty badass. I can carry 50# feedbags. Heck, at one point I picked up a 160# male friend and carried him across the room (much to the entertainment of the rest of the guys in the class). I can't do it right now, but the potential is there. I'm starting to kind of like being bigger and stronger than a waif. The drawback being that the bigger and stronger I am, the bigger and stronger I want the guy in my life to be so I still get to be the girl-sized one

    Thanks! I need to get the rest of them up- and post more often!
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

    Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

    And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •