Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other women who put on muscle ridiculously easily? page

happybunny is offline Member

Any other women who put on muscle ridiculously easily?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It seems like my body LOVES carrying muscle. I don't mind it because of the health benefits (I'll take quads over a muffin top any day), but I'm curious whether anyone else has had the same experience.

According to my body fat percentage (which could be off a bit because it was bioelectrical impedance analysis), I have lean mass of around 120-125. I'm 5'5". I don't use protein supplements or go out of my way to eat extra protein, though I usually have some kind of high-quality meat once per day. I only do the bodyweight exercises from PBF and stair sprints 1-2 times per week. I've lost over 25 pounds since going Primal, but my calf muscle measurement is higher! Knee boots are not in my future...

I'm also curious about how hormone levels affect muscle for women. I had tests done a few years ago, and my testosterone was toward the top end of normal and DHEAS was slightly high (though not enough to be indicative of any problems). Everything else was normal. This was without any kind of hormonal contraception or medications.

Also, just because I find it funny, having 0% bodyfat would still put my BMI at 21. Don't you just love BMI?

Anyone with the same experience?

Edit: I apologize if this seems self-congratulatory to any women who have the opposite problem. I often envy women who can be strong without having a bulkier appearance, and it is somewhat frustrating that my body seems to want to live at the end of the bell curve. I hope this doesn't seem condescending because it is not meant to be at all.
    Last edited by happybunny; 02-09-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Clarification

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    You conveniently forgot to mention your bodyfat percentage or how many pounds of fat you carry on your frame. 125 pounds of lean body mass is very impressive if you weigh 150 pounds, not so much if you weigh 300 pounds.

Legitimate point, Kharnath. I started out at over 200 pounds and am down to around 170 (a few pounds more depending on time of day, menstruation, etc.), which puts me at about 27% body fat (give or take a few points for the uncertainty of measurement). Still too high, but weighing 150 would result in about 17% body fat, assuming no muscle loss while attaining that weight, which is definitely not a goal for me (and for some women might result in no menstruation, IIRC). I also have an excellent waist-to-hip ratio (do you need the number for this too?). My goal is more like 23% at this point, which would be 160-162. Some might view that as an unacceptable body fat percentage, but considering where I'm coming from, it's currently a reasonable goal in my opinion, and the fact that it's considered near ideal for fertility makes me think that evolution wouldn't be terribly unhappy with me either.

Now that I have cured the sin of my lack of full disclosure...do you have anything that actually responds to the questions in my post?

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I have a response!

I was measured at one point for one of those medical weight-loss places (I had a coupon, so it was free and I was curious). According to my height (5'6) and my bone-size as measured at my wrist (medium, I believe) I was supposed to weigh somewhere between 125 and 135#. According to the BMI chart, I should be between 117 and 143#. However, what none of this takes into account is my line-backer shoulders over birthing hips and what we call in my family the "shelf butt." I might have medium bones, but I have a big frame, and it likes to put on muscle.

The best I've ever looked was freshman year in college at 155#. I was walking several miles a day, doing barn work, riding horses, generally being active. I was also eating pretty close to primally, though I didn't know it at the time. Could I have cut past it down to the high 140s? Yeah, probably. But it would have required a lot of work, and, honestly I don't think I'm put together in a way that "cut" would be flattering on me

Which is a long way of saying- I hear you. Right now, I'm so far from fit that calculating my lean body mass just seems like an exercise in frustration. I know what my goal is, and it's not what it's "supposed" to be. What looks good on me (5', 155#) is overweight according to BMI. I can make it my goal because I've seen it on me, and I know it's right. I feel bad, though, for the women out there built like us that haven't seen themselves "fit" and don't know that their supposed goal weight is a bunch of bull.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

I was lucky enough to go a nutritionist when I got my BF percentage measured who pretty much said that BMI is a load of crap and therefore agreed that a goal weight in the 160s was reasonable and that I not worry about BMI "fitness."

I spent most of my life as someone who gave up on fitness because I couldn't be one of the 110 lb girls. I got mistaken for a college girl in middle school because of my build (butt and boobs...you know). Then coming in as overweight or obese according to BMI from middle school onward kind of sealed the deal. It's easy to think, "why bother?"

And I think even on this site, with it's emphasis on health versus thin, it's easy to get the impression that for women, healthy still equals thin. Some women would look very unhealthy at 150-160, but not all of us!

Also, drssgchic, nice horse pictures on your blog!

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya! It's only fairly recently (and I'm 29) that I really want to own myself. I'm not 110#, and a size zero will fit, like, my thigh, but I'm still pretty badass. I can carry 50# feedbags. Heck, at one point I picked up a 160# male friend and carried him across the room (much to the entertainment of the rest of the guys in the class). I can't do it right now, but the potential is there. I'm starting to kind of like being bigger and stronger than a waif. The drawback being that the bigger and stronger I am, the bigger and stronger I want the guy in my life to be so I still get to be the girl-sized one

Thanks! I need to get the rest of them up- and post more often!
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't think I'm particularly gifted at building muscle, but I do think I put on muscle more easily than what is described over and over on various websites. I do not think I am in any way at risk of becoming "big and bulky", but I lift weights, puny weights that demonstrate a deficit of strength, and yet I'm seeing pretty dramatic results in the muscle building department compared to what I have been told to expect.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

That's sounds similar to me. I'm never going to look like a bodybuilder (thankfully, from my perspective, no offense to those who want the look), but it seems like even doing a rather moderate exercise program makes a significant difference for me.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    BMI is a load of ****.
    What they dont tell you is that originally there were 3(?) separate BMI charts based on bone structure. Apparently that was to complicated so they got rid of two so they could screw with more peoples self esteem....

Im 5' 9-10" and am currently about 205 lb. Heavy bone structure (my wrist is so wide most bracelets will not fit around it, & its not fat.) I doubt I could get under 170 without problems... 180 is probably closer to a good weight for me cause im solid.. lots of muscle, linebacker shoulders, calves that no boots will fit (very annoying!) can chuck 50lb haybales around like there pillows & can easily lift a 100lb dog without help.

I always liked looking like I could kick @ss though so im happy with what ive got. Muscle is good
    Last edited by DinoHunter; 02-10-2013 at 04:59 AM.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I hear you! I was a soccer player in college. Nearly all of us had the issue of thighs being so big that we couldn't find jeans to fit them and our waist. I lost a lot of that muscle mass while on bed rest during my first pregnancy. And I'm still trying to lose the baby weight. But, I know that I'll likely never get into a normal BMI because I just have too much muscle. Even with all this extra fat I can deadlift 155 5 times and am squatting and benching 110+ 3 sets of 5. Looking forward to getting rid of the fat around my middle when I have more days each week to lift.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast